Author Topic: What are you working on?  (Read 14572 times)

Cnaff

• Founder
Re: What are you working on?
« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2012, 12:34:08 pm »
In that case when making a texture (mainly words) make a seperate layer then flip that layer and re align the words, ingame it would be correct then.

yup  ;).

below is what i have been doing, been having a go at the ambient occlusion option, rendering a (not much higher) poly model onto a low poly model's UV

AO makes everything better  :).

Me2005

• Founder
  • Contributor
« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2012, 01:03:44 pm »
...This model has ambient collision mapping on it but due to me using hue & saturation to make it black (I have 2 versions of the texture, original and black)its hard to see on the black.

Would you mind explain to me how the ambient occlusion mapping works? I understand that you're taking a higher-poly model and rendering it, then applying it somehow to a lower-poly model; I just don't understand how you're applying it. Is it just textured faces applied to the low-poly version (render each cardinal view, then apply as textures)? Some kind of mapping that is easiest done in 3ds? How would I go about doing it in blender/sketchup? Sketchup doesn't use traditional UV's (there is texture mapping, but I'm not sure if it's completely different or not), and I only have a limited understanding of how they work from my work with Blender/Maya - in Blender I had figured out at one point  how to make a texture that is applied to whatever part of a mesh of a ship I wanted (wrapped or unwrapped), but I don't know if you're doing the same thing.

BTW; that is an awesome-looking ship. I hope that the devs get some kind of functionality and gameplay working on these things soon.
But you were dead a thousand times. Hopeless encounters successfully won. A man long dead, grafted to machines your builders did not understand. You follow the path, fitting into an infinite pattern. Yours to manipulate, to create and rebuild.

I know who you are.

You are destiny.

mamastoast

• Founder
« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2012, 02:15:52 pm »
applying the details of a high poly model to a low poly version through bump map is usually known as normal mapping :/

Me2005

• Founder
  • Contributor
« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2012, 04:09:57 pm »
applying the details of a high poly model to a low poly version through bump map is usually known as normal mapping :/

Is that supported?

It sounded like Vorga was mapping a render of a higher-quality model onto a lower-quality model, which doesn't sound like the same thing as normal mapping.
But you were dead a thousand times. Hopeless encounters successfully won. A man long dead, grafted to machines your builders did not understand. You follow the path, fitting into an infinite pattern. Yours to manipulate, to create and rebuild.

I know who you are.

You are destiny.

mamastoast

• Founder
« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2012, 04:55:11 pm »
hm if he's just using it as a texture no, I guess no, sounds a lil odd. And no :P normal mapping isn't supported, though bump mapping is

Cnaff

• Founder
« Reply #35 on: April 28, 2012, 05:38:48 pm »
Just messing around!  :)... LOTS of Ambient Occlusion lol.

Spoiler

Cnaff

• Founder
« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2012, 09:17:27 pm »
Finished the Bunkbed!  :D... Can't wait  until the texture problem w/ prefabs is fixed!

Spoiler

MrVorgra

• Founder
  • RAWR!
« Reply #37 on: April 28, 2012, 10:22:00 pm »
Lots of AO looks good, currently Im a lil clueless as to how to increase my AO, I might go and download VRay.

Ambient Occlusion mapping is the mapping of soft edge shadows onto the Uvmap of the model, when it is from a high poly down to a low poly model its called Projection mapping.

you can also do diffuse, bump, reflect, spec, ambient, normal maps (there are more) but the majority look bad at such low resolution
Real Men drive vehicles without knowing how fast they are moving or how much fuel remains in the tank.

Aaron

• BR Developer
  • Creative Director, ZanMgt
  • Available on the IRC from 9:00am to 5:00pm (EST)
    • http://www.zanmgt.com
« Reply #38 on: April 29, 2012, 01:11:20 am »
You guys mind if I make a post about your prefabs on the front page tomorrow? =D
Stop by the IRC and say Hi! -- Online Dev Chat

MrVorgra

• Founder
  • RAWR!
« Reply #39 on: April 29, 2012, 03:16:36 am »
think we would all like that, im in the process of making a smaller more circluar reactor with ZanMgts reactor as inspiration.

Spoiler

Bump map came up good, although I gotta rotate some of the UVmap faces and other than that it turned out rather well.

oh and fix up the black pars a little and the big Plugs at the top and bottom.

Spoiler

fixed dah UV map and made a reactor room with lots of prefabs

crane ain't finished yet though
« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 06:00:52 am by MrVorgra »
Real Men drive vehicles without knowing how fast they are moving or how much fuel remains in the tank.

Cnaff

• Founder
« Reply #40 on: April 29, 2012, 08:53:48 am »
You guys mind if I make a post about your prefabs on the front page tomorrow? =D

;D I need to make some today then, besides the bunk bed lol.

Dayshine

• Founder
  • Contributor
« Reply #41 on: April 29, 2012, 10:40:53 am »
I've just finished implemented addons with prefab support.
This means that you can throw all your prefabs in a folder and create a solids.xml just for your new content and users can add them to their game without manually editing files. :)
No prefab editing in the tool yet, but it'll come.

Cnaff

• Founder
« Reply #42 on: April 29, 2012, 01:32:08 pm »
I've just finished implemented addons with prefab support.
This means that you can throw all your prefabs in a folder and create a solids.xml just for your new content and users can add them to their game without manually editing files. :)
No prefab editing in the tool yet, but it'll come.

By prefab editing do you mean modeling?  :o

Dayshine

• Founder
  • Contributor
« Reply #43 on: April 29, 2012, 01:46:26 pm »

God no, not properly.
But maybe some minor things like importing , moving the object into positive space, controlling the scale and size, previewing the object...

Cnaff

• Founder
« Reply #44 on: April 29, 2012, 01:48:40 pm »

God no, not properly.
But maybe some minor things like importing , moving the object into positive space, controlling the scale and size, previewing the object...

Gotcha, sounds good!  :D

EDIT: Dayshine you need to get an avatar lol.