Author Topic: What are you working on?  (Read 16614 times)

Cnaff

• Founder
Re: What are you working on?
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2012, 05:38:40 pm »
Btw, completely free option, get free sketchup make model, then open up the sketchup file in free 3dsmax WIN!

shame on  you  >:( lol

Completely free AND pirate-free option: Model in sketchup/blender, export in blender. If you're using sketchup you need to export to Google Earth and unzip the file, it's actually a collada file (or at least, pre-8 it used to be, I seem to remember that something changed somewhere in there).

That's not what I meant.  I thought at first he meant downloading a model in Sketchup from the 3D Warehouse, but now that I read it I don't think that's what he meant.  :)

mamastoast

• Founder
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2012, 05:40:05 pm »
Though I'd do something practical for my first go, so  I did a sort of 2 table blocks that go togeter, for mess halls and the like. They don't like up perfectly for some reason, so there is some issues between the blocks, but they do the job I guess.

It's basically just a side block, and a mid block.

Having some issues doing the texturing, I can pretty much model anything, but I'm normally not the one doing much texture work, so having to take it a bit step by step.

Also, for some reason, the directional light completely overshines my custom prefabs from a certain direction, a shame we can't apply specular maps
« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 05:42:10 pm by mamastoast »

Me2005

• Founder
  • Contributor
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2012, 06:07:19 pm »
That's not what I meant.  I thought at first he meant downloading a model in Sketchup from the 3D Warehouse, but now that I read it I don't think that's what he meant.  :)

Pffftttt... Why would you think he meant that? That's explicitly legit:
Quote from: Google 3d Warehouse Terms of Service
Section 8.2 ...For the avoidance of doubt, you may modify, distribute, and create derivative works of Content uploaded by other users in 3D Warehouse.
Link.

My non-lawyer reading of that says you could be making things for sale using other people's warehouse models (so long as you're modifying them), let alone modifying and distributing them for free.

;D
But you were dead a thousand times. Hopeless encounters successfully won. A man long dead, grafted to machines your builders did not understand. You follow the path, fitting into an infinite pattern. Yours to manipulate, to create and rebuild.

I know who you are.

You are destiny.

Cnaff

• Founder
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2012, 06:50:48 pm »

Pffftttt... Why would you think he meant that? That's explicitly legit:
Quote from: Google 3d Warehouse Terms of Service
Section 8.2 ...For the avoidance of doubt, you may modify, distribute, and create derivative works of Content uploaded by other users in 3D Warehouse.
Link.

My non-lawyer reading of that says you could be making things for sale using other people's warehouse models (so long as you're modifying them), let alone modifying and distributing them for free.

;D

Haha... let me make myself clear  :P.  I just don't like when people use other peoples models in mods.  That's all I was trying to say  ;).

Me2005

• Founder
  • Contributor
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2012, 07:02:29 pm »
Haha... let me make myself clear  :P.  I just don't like when people use other peoples models in mods.  That's all I was trying to say  ;).

Oh yeah, that's not really an ideal thing to do, but it is legit according to Google.

Now to steal some models from the 'warehouse and upload them here as my own  ;D

Hmm... no "angry eyebrows with smile"-mischievous face... oh well...
But you were dead a thousand times. Hopeless encounters successfully won. A man long dead, grafted to machines your builders did not understand. You follow the path, fitting into an infinite pattern. Yours to manipulate, to create and rebuild.

I know who you are.

You are destiny.

Cnaff

• Founder
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2012, 08:38:14 pm »

Oh yeah, that's not really an ideal thing to do, but it is legit according to Google.

Now to steal some models from the 'warehouse and upload them here as my own  ;D

Hmm... no "angry eyebrows with smile"-mischievous face... oh well...

your crazy bro!  :-X lol j/k

MrVorgra

• Founder
  • RAWR!
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2012, 11:08:12 pm »
Though I'd do something practical for my first go, so  I did a sort of 2 table blocks that go togeter, for mess halls and the like. They don't like up perfectly for some reason, so there is some issues between the blocks, but they do the job I guess.

Spoiler

Having some issues doing the texturing, I can pretty much model anything, but I'm normally not the one doing much texture work, so having to take it a bit step by step.

Also, for some reason, the directional light completely overshines my custom prefabs from a certain direction, a shame we can't apply specular maps

directional light rapes all prefabs,

either way, how did you get the textures so crisp, photoshop?
Real Men drive vehicles without knowing how fast they are moving or how much fuel remains in the tank.

Imaus

• Founder
  • Let the Hammerfall
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2012, 11:09:41 pm »

Nice job there.
Family Balenchist

mamastoast

• Founder
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2012, 03:51:18 am »

directional light rapes all prefabs,

either way, how did you get the textures so crisp, photoshop?

A friend of mine has a subscription to Cgtextures, a great resource site for various materials. After that I just unwrapped the models,  made sure the UV with the wooden texture was the largest (since it needs the most details), and alligned it so that it has a (somewhat) seamless transition.

MrVorgra

• Founder
  • RAWR!
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2012, 10:38:18 am »
hmmm... ill have a go at actual textures, I just find that at 256 any manual drawing
Real Men drive vehicles without knowing how fast they are moving or how much fuel remains in the tank.

mamastoast

• Founder
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2012, 12:00:20 pm »
Yea, as I said, texture work isn't my thing either, but it's a good thing to have a basic grasp of I'd say. If you're interested ina  good unwrapping program I'd suggest 3dCoat, it's excellent, of ofcourse it's not entirely free, but not really expensive either and 100% worth it.

Cnaff

• Founder
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2012, 12:05:31 am »
Haven't gotten a whole lot done, but tonight I decided to see if I could do textures.  I quickly made a model slapped on a texture, then I made a normal map!  Feels good to have everything work first try!

For some reason the logo is backwards lol  :-X.

Spoiler

Hopefully some real models coming soon!

MrVorgra

• Founder
  • RAWR!
« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2012, 02:21:43 am »
if the logo is backwards you might have your normals backwards..... just speculation, not bad for a first try if you want to see your normals better use the green creepy lighting option.

below is what i have been doing, been having a go at the ambient occlusion option, rendering a (not much higher) poly model onto a low poly model's UV

Cnaff

• Founder
« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2012, 11:07:50 am »
if the logo is backwards you might have your normals backwards..... just speculation, not bad for a first try if you want to see your normals better use the green creepy lighting option.

below is what i have been doing, been having a go at the ambient occlusion option, rendering a (not much higher) poly model onto a low poly model's UV

I don't think my normals are backwards, think its just BR's Blender support.

MrVorgra

• Founder
  • RAWR!
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2012, 11:47:46 am »
In that case when making a texture (mainly words) make a seperate layer then flip that layer and re align the words, ingame it would be correct then.

Spoiler

This model has ambient collision mapping on it but due to me using hue & saturation to make it black (I have 2 versions of the texture, original and black)its hard to see on the black.

this model was done completely in 3dsmax, (also the barrels are supposed to be flattened like they are)

And dam the ship looks good with angles.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 11:52:35 am by MrVorgra »