Author Topic: Kep's Modding Video Walkthrough Series  (Read 6079 times)

keptin

• Founder
Kep's Modding Video Walkthrough Series
« on: April 22, 2012, 08:59:06 pm »
Kep's Modding Video Walkthrough Series

I'm a big believer in providing the tools and resources for the community so people can learn and run with it, building their own creations.  To contribute to this philosophy, this series of tutorials will help teach you how to mod Blockade Runner and more!

====================
Creating Custom Prefabs:

In this tutorial I'll cover in detail how to model, UV map, texture and import your own prefab objects into Blockade Runner 0.55.1.  Note: the upcoming addition of Mods and Addons may change the import process for future versions of the game.  Soon we'll also see better support for .obj export files, allowing you to export them directly from your modeling software of choice, without the necessity to convert using 3dsMax.

Software used:
Autodesk Maya 2012
Autodesk 3dsMax 2012
Adobe Photoshop CS5
Nvidia .DDS Photoshop plugin
Notepad++ w/ XML Tools plugin

Part 1 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CT5eLZemQqo&hd=1
Part 2 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhNQP9j_Hp4&hd=1

BR Dev Micah also posted detailed step-by-step instructions that cover some things I didn't, including software alternatives.
Check it out, http://forums.blockaderunnergame.com/index.php?topic=998.0

Additional Tips:
-Keep things low poly, between 50-150 polys is ideal.  Smart modeling means shaping with the model and driving details using texture and normal maps.  Imagine that for anything you make, there'll be at least one user who plasters five-hundred of them on a ship.  Also, keep the art style of BR in mind; the ships are made of blocks, so high detail models will look out of place.

-For the same reasons as using low-poly models, keeping your texture map sizes small is a good idea.  128x128 or 256x256 should suffice, but no larger than 512x512.

-Using this workflow, the UVs are getting flipped somehow.  It may be the 3dsMax .obj import/export or the game itself, but my temporary solution was to purposely map the UVs reversed in Maya.

====================
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 05:01:45 pm by keptin »

MrVorgra

• Founder
  • RAWR!
Re: Kep's Modding Video Walkthrough Series
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2012, 09:02:54 pm »
In the video description you should put Paint.net as an option instead of Adobe Photoshop.
And Notepad, can read the XML its just not nice and spread out like Notepad++
Real Men drive vehicles without knowing how fast they are moving or how much fuel remains in the tank.

Cnaff

• Founder
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2012, 09:03:14 pm »
Why are the videos unlisted lol  :P?

keptin

• Founder
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2012, 09:36:27 pm »
In the video description you should put Paint.net as an option instead of Adobe Photoshop.

Any image editing software will work and .dds image converters are plentiful, but I've yet to find a replacement for Photoshop.  There are free alternatives and reasons why they're free--my two cents.

Why are the videos unlisted lol  :P?

These aren't generic tuts to share and Youtube is filled with idiots.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 09:55:32 pm by keptin »

MrVorgra

• Founder
  • RAWR!
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2012, 10:04:08 pm »
Paint.net is not as good as adobe but its the next best thing and has built-in .dds support
Real Men drive vehicles without knowing how fast they are moving or how much fuel remains in the tank.

keptin

• Founder
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2012, 10:10:57 pm »
You should make a tutorial.

MrVorgra

• Founder
  • RAWR!
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2012, 10:25:49 pm »
Paint.net?

keptin

• Founder
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2012, 10:32:29 pm »
Yes, show how to build texture and normal maps using Paint.net.  It's good to have free alternatives.

Bladecatcher

• Founder
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2012, 02:50:02 am »
Where can we get the software, and what are the PC requirements? I have the feeling that the software will cost more money than an actual 3D modeling class at my community college and make my computer vomit blood...

keptin

• Founder
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2012, 04:09:29 am »
Since you won't be rendering, the hardware requirements are fairly lax; most computers built in the last 3-4 years should handle it without issue.  As for the software itself, a quick Google search reveals that there are free educational versions of all Autodesk software and 30-day full trials of Adobe Photoshop.

MrVorgra

• Founder
  • RAWR!
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2012, 09:56:48 am »
Ill be putting up some tuts soon for paint.net incase people don't want to use photoshop

Czorio

• Founder
  • Residential nutbag
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2012, 10:50:40 am »
Ill be putting up some tuts soon for paint.net incase people don't want to use photoshop

That would include me, since I just can't be arsed to pay for a program that you can easily replace by a free one.
"If you're in an equal fight, your tactics suck."

http://www.youtube.com/user/czorio4

[ZanMgt]Gabriel

• BR Developer
  • Lord Ruler, Gamer, Programmer, Spy
    • www.zanmgt.com
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2012, 01:30:15 pm »
Thats awesome keptin! Great work!
"a programmer is an intermediary that converts sugar and caffeine into code"

Bladecatcher

• Founder
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2012, 01:30:59 pm »
That would include me, since I just can't be arsed to pay for a program that you can easily replace by a free one.

Same here. Will GIMP work?

Since you won't be rendering, the hardware requirements are fairly lax; most computers built in the last 3-4 years should handle it without issue.  As for the software itself, a quick Google search reveals that there are free educational versions of all Autodesk software and 30-day full trials of Adobe Photoshop.

:D :D

Uomoz

• Founder
  • Endure. In enduring grow strong.
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2012, 01:47:12 am »
Yo keptin ;D
That is awesome Uomoz! Keep up the good work!

Proud Builder of the CR90 Corellian Corvette "Blockade Runner" http://forums.blockaderunnergame.com/index.php?topic=245.0