Author Topic: Prefabs? Prefabs!  (Read 2592 times)

AurelTristen

• Founder
Prefabs? Prefabs!
« on: April 20, 2012, 07:05:11 pm »
If you are working in 3D Studio Max, it looks like the standard block is 100x100x100 units with the origin on the bottom of the object.  I've used this to get started making prefabs, but if I'm wrong, at least it is a solid number and should be easy to scale to fit.

I see the format-of-choice is OBJ.  I'm really hoping support for something like 3DS might be in the future, as at least 3DS has primitive animation support.  With the ability to link objects to one another and animate them, prefabs become a lot more interesting.  Imagine an engine with moving parts inside, fans in ventilation ducts, or even fake-holograms using moving 3D parts.

Maybe I'm getting way ahead of things, but since I can't put anything in-game yet, I'd like to be able to get started making the assets in such a way that they'll be ready to go when the time comes.  Not only am I a big fan of this game, but now that everything in the game-industry has to go through a mudbox/zbrush ultra-high-res pass with all kinds of tricks and shortcuts to get more and more detail, I'm looking forward to some good old fashion low-poly modeling.

A few things I'm working on:  A switchboard for your cockpits (Align to 45 degree blocks some day?)

An access hatch that only occupies one block, but will require animation to be useful.

Cnaff

• Founder
Re: Prefabs? Prefabs!
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2012, 09:22:15 pm »
I like when people put time into posts, good job!  ;)

AurelTristen

• Founder
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2012, 09:34:31 pm »
My sarcasm detector needs a software update, so I'm not sure how to take that O_O.

MrVorgra

• Founder
  • RAWR!
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2012, 09:35:43 pm »
^^^ That I must use myself at some point  ;D
Real Men drive vehicles without knowing how fast they are moving or how much fuel remains in the tank.

Cnaff

• Founder
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2012, 09:52:07 pm »
My sarcasm detector needs a software update, so I'm not sure how to take that O_O.

Haha I'm being serious, its a nice post >_> ( I like pictures  :-X )

AurelTristen

• Founder
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2012, 09:59:55 pm »
Oh, ok.  Thanks :)  Can't wait to go model-crazy with in-game objects.

AurelTristen

• Founder
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2012, 04:11:13 pm »
Update: Got both objects in-game.  The key for me was pausing the tutorial video to see what OBJ export settings to use, as my defaults were not the same as theirs.
Spoiler

I have learned the hard way that all textures must be 128x128.  Too bad, because some models have more complexity, and this limit forces fuzzy textures in the case of my hatch (No doors at this time).  Each side should have 128x128 worth of pixels to match the resolution of other blocks, but the inside has details the outside does not, so the inside needs its own UV space.

Second issue: Once I learned of this problem, I re-sized my 512x512 DDS.  BR seems to render it properly when generating thumbnails, but it isn't updating properly in-game.  As you can see, it looks like its keeping some UV data in memory, even after restarting the game.  UVW coordinates aren't supposed to be relative to texture resolution! O_o

Spoiler

MrVorgra

• Founder
  • RAWR!
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2012, 09:54:35 pm »
your textures can be 256x256 the error is well an error
Real Men drive vehicles without knowing how fast they are moving or how much fuel remains in the tank.

Imaus

• Founder
  • Let the Hammerfall
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2012, 10:20:07 pm »
Well done these are nice.
Family Balenchist

MrVorgra

• Founder
  • RAWR!
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2012, 10:55:34 pm »
you should be able export the obj with its uv and then modify the diffuse with out needing to re open the model and re export it, I had something similar wrong I solved it by re exporting it. (similar not the same)

Mr.Beaver

• Founder
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2012, 03:10:22 pm »
Wow! Nice job on those! And yes indeed, it makes it easier to take a person seriously when the person is taking some time to write/make their posts!
In my star-ship halfway to Keppler 21b