Author Topic: Darkstrike Enterprises  (Read 8881 times)

Darkstrike

• Founder
  • Captain of the H.M.S.V. Saviour-A
Darkstrike Enterprises
« on: April 16, 2012, 09:57:34 pm »
Hi all - just thought I would post some pics of my first ship...nowhere near as fancy or large as some of the AMAZING vessels many of you have constructed, but she will do for my purposes....I see her as the "minivan" of the Blockade Runner world :P . Ugly, not terribly wanted by many people anymore, but still capable! Haha! Yes, there will eventually be more furniture, wires, etc. to see once the ship editor becomes more advanced, so it does, unfortunately, look quite bare at the moment! :)

At the moment she carries the name of "KDD Cargo C-Class" (a very fancy name, I know!) - a type of light freighter / runabout vessel. (A and B classes having been slightly smaller variations on the design from previous, less advanced versions of the game/editor. However, with the C-Class, I started from scratch but followed the same basic principles).

The red is just a visual paintjob thing for awesomeness/personal preference as I've always liked the black/red combination of colors. The non-red colored hull plating is a reference for me and won't actually be on the ship when it is complete. The green plating marks the literal center of the ship in terms of blocks on the y/x/z axis (I marked it to give me a basic idea of the center of the ship as ZanMgt currently has that balance indicator thing for mass disabled in InDev...even though it probably isn't balanced at all, haha!), the blue plating marks the location of the top of the two warp cores in primary and secondary engineering. Pink represents where the docking ports will be on either side. Anywhere you can see the interior is where glass will eventually reside. A small radar dish will eventually be located on the top of the ship somewhere possibly, or sensor blocks may reside at the tips of the rear "wings" on either side...not sure yet. There WILL, for certain, be a small turret of some sort on the top of the ship for defense though...possibly one that is manually controllable but also AI-controllable for when a single crewmember still has flying to do but needs defense against pirates or the like. I envision myself and the ship to mostly fall into the neutral role in terms of siding with one side or another on a server or in single player, so not as much combat while flying it. The intent for me and the ship is to provide basic salvage functions. A tractor beam will be installed on the ship somewhere, but I am currently unsure which warp core will usually power it. I also don't know yet where to put the external cargo bay door/doors...the ship's current design makes that hard as the rear forward-sweeping "wings" sortof block side access to the cargo bay. It will probably have retractable landing gear eventually (if it becomes possible in the game engine, maybe I will have the rear "wing"-tips foldable upwards to provide more access to a side cargo bay door...thoughts?). I also eventually foresee a small "scooter" ship semi-permanently docked to one side or the other at the docking ports or maybe a large enough cargo bay door to fit one inside the cargo bay (although I may have to make the C-class taller if that is the case). A "scooter" is a class of ship I thought up the other night - a single-person, unarmed, unshielded, unarmored personal transport capable of only intra-solar-system travel under it's own power - loosely inspired by it's namesake Earth-bound, 20th/21st century two-wheeled single or dual-person basic mode of transport  8) :P.

From above, with the front of ship facing left:

From left, with the front of the ship facing left:

From rear:

From front, facing the nose of the ship with the bridge - running lights can be seen to either side of the bridge section. Eventually the bridge section may be detachable to act as a sort of "escape pod" in EXTREME emergencies, i.e. "OMGWTFBBQ THE SHIP IS COMPLETELY OWNED AND WE HAVE NO OTHER CHOICE!!!!111oneoneone":

What you would see as you first step onto the ship from the right-side docking port - looking across the ship to the location of the left-side docking port, standing in the right-side pod:

Standing in the cargo bay front door, facing primary engineering - the bridge consoles can be seen in the background. Left hallway leads to left docking port/pod, right hallway leads to right docking port/pod. The pods contain the forward maneuvering thrusters, 4 of the ship's 5 current plasma weapons (the fifth is at the very front of the ship, dead center, in front of the bridge and also acts as a impromptu aiming device as well), and the docking ports and the pods / central section will eventually house the ship's life support, primary warp core, power systems, batteries, other systems, etc.:

Standing at the back of the bridge facing forward:

Standing in the cargo bay front door, looking toward the rear of the ship. The cargo bay will also house basic hydroponics systems for basic crew nourishment (sorry about Winamp at the top of the screen! :P):

Standing in the cargo bay rear door/rear hallway junction - facing the rear of the ship and secondary engineering. This room will house the systems relating to more advanced propulsion such as interstellar engines, FTL engines but also the rear maneuvering thrusters. The forward maneuvering thrusters will be powered by primary engineering. It is hoped the gameplay mechanics will allow these two engineering sections to eventually be redundant for each other in an emergency...if one fails, the other engineering section would be capable of taking over ALL functions in an emergency, if only temporarily at least:

Standing in the rear cargo bay hallway junction, facing rear-left - the Captain's quarters. Small, but roomy enough to be cozy and quaint for a small vessel:

Same as above, but facing rear-right - Second Mate's / guest quarters. The ship is hopefully designed to be pilotable/maintainable by a single crewman/captain as that is how it was envisioned to be usually operated, however, this room will serve as the quarters for a second crewmember if need be and can be used for whatever other purpose is necessary otherwise. It will also serve as a sort of "guest quarters" for any individual being transported by or visiting the ship for an extended period of time or a long journey:

A long post, so I apologize. Even though my ship is pretty basic, and a bit cramped, I like it! It's also fun to think of the design/storyline aspect of a particular ship as you make it :)

I hope you enjoyed taking a peek! :)

I will keep updating the KDD Cargo C-class as new updates come out, but I am also planning on starting a larger specialty "salvage ship" for my company use as well in the coming weeks.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 10:09:57 pm by Darkstrike »

catmorbid

• Founder
Re: Darkstrike Enterprises
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2012, 01:56:50 am »
That's a nice little ship. Keep up the good work!

Darkstrike

• Founder
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2012, 08:45:17 am »
Thanks Catmorbid! :)

I hope to make her look a bit less boxy as time goes on as well.

Darkstrike

• Founder
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2012, 04:39:10 pm »
Hi all,

This is a new post showing a few interior shots and one exterior shot of my in-progress Salvage/Refit/Repair ship 'H.M.S.V. Saviour' (and yes, I am using the -our spelling this time ;) :P)

The ship is still very much a work in progress, and I apologize for some of the rooms where the "interiors not working near prefabs" glitch is very obvious, but that will be fixed in time :)

More exterior shots will eventually follow, but she is not fully plated yet and there still may yet be some exterior changes...so consider this one shot a teaser. Yes, she's ugly, but she used to be a lot worse until I started adding angles (I also doubled her length, she is just over 100m / blocks long at the moment). I would have changed her shape more, but the interior in terms or rooms / hallways is pretty much complete and to have to overhaulll all of that would be a big hassle...plus, she's growing on me as she sits :)

Enjoy!

The view from the Captain's Chair on the bridge - the empty space between the split front two hulls is where very large ships to be repaired or salvaged will rest when the 'Saviour' is stationary. The 'Saviour' will slip "around" such damaged vessels when major repairs are required and the ship is too large to fit into the rear hangars.

The "Battle Bridge" (idea partially stolen from Star Trek and the Enterprise-D). As the location of the 'Saviour's' main bridge for day-to day operations is rather exposed to ramming or direct attack, in (hopefully rare) times of battle, the senior officers will retreat several decks below to this smaller, more armored and less exposed "Battle Bridge" for further protection.

One of the two main salvage/repair hangars on the 'Saviour' - this is Hangar A on the left side of the ship. The Flight Control/Ops Center for this hangar can be seen at the top-right at the rear of the hangar (highlighted in yellow). Both hangars are approximately 80 blocks long, 14 blocks tall, and 26 blocks wide. Designed either for docking of friendly vessels, including my previously-posted personal KDD Cargo C-class Runabout "Darkstrike", or for the salvage/repair of smaller vessels or the salvage of materials from large debris chunks from derelict or destroyed ships. Heavy Plating can be seen at the far end of the hangar for extra protection as Main Engineering is found through the interior (right) wall in the screenshot, and one of the Secondary Engineering rooms is found on the opposite side through that wall. The ramped indent in the middle of the wall on the right of the screenshot slopes down into the Primary Cargo Bay.

The Primary Cargo Bay. This room is found central and under the two rear hangar decks and will serve as the ship's main cargo hold for items being transported, for replacement parts and for any materials salvaged from derelict vessels.

One of the "Promenade" hallways found on Deck 4-A and Deck 4-B in the forward part of the ship. This section of the ship mostly contains living quarters, as well as the port and starboard side docking ports. Currently there is also a very large amount of space just off of these hallways which I have no idea what to do with as well.

The ship's conference room. For use by senior crew members in day-to-day operations and for planning salvage operations. Also used for diplomatic and military purposes when required. These conference room is located on forward Deck 3-B, with the Mess Hall located in the same space on Deck 3-A - one of the few portions of the ship which is not directly symmetrical.

A view from the front of Main Engineering on the uppermost catwalk, looking rearward to what will be the Main Engineering Control room. Main Engineering is located in the central, aft part of the ship between Hangar A and Hangar B.

[ZanMgt]Gabriel

• BR Developer
  • Lord Ruler, Gamer, Programmer, Spy
    • www.zanmgt.com
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2012, 01:44:39 pm »
Cool stuff, but can I see an outside picture?
"a programmer is an intermediary that converts sugar and caffeine into code"

Darkstrike

• Founder
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2012, 01:57:00 pm »
Sure can! I will upload a few in a little bit when I get done what I am doing :) (Doing some work upstairs here at home at the moment...)

Vininator

• Founder
  • Owner of Galactic Munitions Inc... and a cool guy.
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2012, 02:53:20 pm »
Seems like Gabriel is doing the rounds  :P but yea your designs are nice. Very unique ships.

Darkstrike

• Founder
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2012, 03:16:42 pm »
As requested Gabriel! :D

Thanks Vininator - very kind of you to say! :) I like the KDD Cargo C-class quite a bit - it was my first "keeper" ship. I've never really been as much a fan of the Saviour's original shape, which is probably why it's gone through so many changes, haha....it's current iteration is over double the length the original design was and has many more angles to make it less bland, haha!

First off - I apologize for the crappy screenshots. My regular LCD monitor broke awhile back and I am currently using my old CRT until I can get a new one. The CRT supports 1280x960 but it doesn't like anything more than 1024x768 for a resolution (it goes a bit wavy and weird at anything higher...sorry!)...

Now...the subject of the post a few shots of the current iteration of the exterior of 'H.M.S.V. Saviour' - remember, she is a work in progress. so things still change often, haha!

Ignore the colored plating and empty frame blocks in places - they are areas that are still W.I.P. and the colored plates remind me where things will go once they are added to the game :) (except for the red plates - those are for decoration :P) Exterior pink plates represent where docking ports will go. Exterior teal plates represent where airlocks will go for spacewalking crewmembers to repair/salvage the ship slipped between the 'Saviour's' two front "prongs".

An exterior picture looking toward the front of the ship from a left-above position:

An exterior shot from the left side of the ship - front facing left:

An exterior shot of the rear of the vessel from a left-above position. It is intended that the main engines and hangars will be located at the rear of the ship (engines as in the FTL drive and maneuvering thrusters. The sublight engines can be seen on the sides of the ship, roughly halfway down the side:

A direct rear-shot of the 'Saviour'. Hangars A and B can be seen to the left and right, with the Utility Tug hangars located underneath them. Each Utility Tug hangar is intended to hold at least 4 Utility Tugs which are small, sublight-only ships designed to assist in salvage operations (they are currently on the drawing board ;) ). Until recently, the Utility Tug hangars were located at the bow of the 'Saviour' on the top deck, as can be seen in the first screenshot above in my previous post - they were moved to the rear to allocate more space:

A close-up of Hangar B and Utility Tug Hangar B, also showing some of the angles and one of the sublight engines found along the side of the ship:

A close-up shot facing the bow of the 'Saviour' from a little less than half-way back the right side of the ship, showing some of the design angles in the hull:

A close-up shot of the front-right corner of the ship:

I forget the current dimensions of the entire ship, but for reference, both Hangar A and Hangar B are about 80 blocks long, 26 blocks wide and 15 or 16 blocks high.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 05:57:38 pm by Darkstrike »

[ZanMgt]Gabriel

• BR Developer
  • Lord Ruler, Gamer, Programmer, Spy
    • www.zanmgt.com
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2012, 07:30:28 pm »
Very nice, thanks!
"a programmer is an intermediary that converts sugar and caffeine into code"

Darkstrike

• Founder
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2012, 07:47:36 pm »
You're welcome Gabriel! :)

Spent an hour or so today running air ducts and vents to every room and hallway on the Saviour - but...while doing so in the Utility Tug hangars, I decided to completely revamp my Utility Tug design and make it sleeker and, frankly, less like a Soccer Mom van.

So...without further ado, I present to thee, ladies and gentlemen of the Blockade Runner forums, the Darkstrike Enterprises Utility Tug! (And bear with me, I enjoy creating backstories and specifications for my ships for fun and probably went overboard with this one...it's creative and lends my ships more "life", if that makes sense :)) )

The Utility Tug can be thought of as the multi-role Tow Truck/Tractor of Space. Designed to use tractor beams for towing and moving about derelict ships, damaged ships and pieces of debris of any size or type, the Utility Tug feels at home wherever it is required - whether it is doing duty at a shipyard moving vessels under construction, operating from salvage vessels, or even transporting small amounts of goods and people to and from wherever required. The Tug is fitted with 3 powerful sublight engines (and the obvious maneuvering thrusters) to ensure it gets the job done. It will not be available with an FTL drive. If a vessel or piece of debris is too large to move alone, more than one tug will be deployed until their combined strength has the salvage moving and underway to its new home...whether temporary or permanent. Aside from the twin forward cockpit canopy areas (the left cockpit being for the pilot, the right for a passenger/co-pilot), Utility Tugs will feature a hatch (hatch's future location highlighted in pink in the screenshots) on the top-rear of the vessel for repairs, maintenance, and access to the cramped interior space containing the ship's systems and powerplant. The Tug will feature larger-than-normal power generation to deal with the increased energy needs of the large engines and tractor beam arrays. If enough space is available, the low amount of interior space can be used for hauling very slight amounts of small cargo. The maintenance hatch will also be used for altering the Tug's role.

Depending on the mission, the tractor beam arrays are designed to be modular and removed or replaced as required. The Utility Tug was originally designed as an unarmed vessel, however, considering the possible use of the vessel in an asteroid mining role, the ship's current iteration has now been fitted with twin Plasma Weapons (for breaking apart asteroids) which could also, in an emergency, be used for offensive or defensive measures. Aside from hull plating in case of slight bumps with vessels/debris with which the Tug will be operating in close proximity, the Utility Tug will not carry and shield systems by default from the factory. The vessel's plating will be available from the factory in a number of high-visibility color combinations as found on construction and emergency land vehicles dating to 20th/21st century Earth, ensuring it remains seen when being operated in confined Space Station and Starship hangar bays, unpredictable asteroid fields, and planetary atmospheres alike. Unlike the first bulky prototype, the current prototype is much more streamlined assisting the Tug in its sporadic role as a light 2-person shuttlecraft for ship-to-station, ship-to-ship, ship-to-planet, etc. and vice versa roles.

Finally, the Utility Tug will be the first, and is currently the only vessel to be intended for production and sale by Darkstrike Enterprises - it is currently in the second-generation prototype stage. Darkstrike Enterprises' own 'H.M.S.V. Saviour' salvage ship, herself, has room for 12 Utility Tugs in her lower hangars with 8 Tugs being seen as the standard complement for the 'Saviour'. It is hoped the Utility Tug will gain popularity as a reliable workhorse and enter use around the known universe as a common sight in the bustling planetary spaceports, the dangerous asteroid fields, and the tight hangars of vessels and stations of any description and faction.

From the front-right, facing back:

From the front, facing back:

From the front-below, facing back:

From the left side:

From the rear, facing the front:

From the rear-below, facing the front:

From the rear-right, facing the front:

From the top:

Cockpit view (left side). looking forward:

Darkstrike

• Founder
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2012, 11:45:09 am »
Ciao folks,

Just a quick post regarding the logo I will be using on my ships for my company Darkstrike Enterprises. Walloping had posted in the F.I.S.H. thread the other day that he sometimes thinks of people as their avatars on the forums....to go along with that joke, I've decided to use my forum avatar as my in-game company logo! ;)

blazingsentinal

• Founder
  • Capt. Recin "Blaze" Aeron of the IUN
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2012, 12:07:45 pm »
looks good although very blocky.

Darkstrike

• Founder
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2012, 12:14:33 pm »
Well, it's hard to make that shape in-game with plating unfortunately :(

I sortof like it the way  it is as a bit blocky though - it just feels at home with BR's voxel esthetic. :)

Darkstrike

• Founder
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2012, 04:55:41 pm »
~~~ EDITED - NOW DIFFERENT FROM ORIGINAL POST - THIS POST CONTAINS A SEMI-UPDATED .BRD OF THE ORIGINAL "SAVIOUR CLASS" ~~~

Since Captain Still asked in another thread, here is the BRD (CURRENT AS OF 6:50PM AST, MAY 9th, 2012) for the original Darkstrike Enterprises "Saviour class" salvage vessel. Although at the moment I will be using my new "Saviour II class" (pictures of it can be found later in this thread) as the "H.M.S.V. Saviour" in-game as my personal ship rather than this one, I would appreciate if you wouldn't use the EXACT original hull design of the original "Saviour class" as posted in this post in BR once BR is developed further in playability! I hope that doesn't sound too selfish - we all want our own personal Flagships and the original "Saviour class" is one of my two pride and joys! :) ;)

However, if you wish to modify the original "Saviour class" at all for your own use and THEN use it, feel free! By "modify" in the previous sentence, I mean alter the exterior hull so it looks noticeably different.

The Exterior: Pink exterior plating represents where docking ports will go, teal plating represents where airlocks will go, pink/blue plating combo represents where forward tractor beam emitters will go.

The Interior: For the most part, rooms with no interior texture are rooms which are currently unknown as to what they will be or do not have their design finalized. You'll also notice some large interior-textured areas that are empty - some of these are also unknown in terms of what they will be or how they will come together yet. Plating surrounding doorways inside indicates what that room will eventually be to help jog my memory. Red/white combo plating means Sick Bay, yellow plating represents where the "SalOps" (Salvage Operations) bridges will be located, black plating represents a currently unassigned/unknown room, orange plating represents washrooms, green plating represents hydroponics/oxygen system rooms, white/blue plating represents water system rooms, blue-only plating represents where my personal apartment quarters will be located.

Intended texture selections in the Interior Editor:

Interior 0 - Ceiling (1st in list), Walls (3rd last in list), Floor (1st in list)
Interior 1 - Full light/white w/mahogany floor and ceiling set
Interior 2 - Ceiling (2nd in list), Walls (2nd in list), Floor (2nd in list)
Interior 3 - Ceiling (3rd last in list), Walls (3rd in list), Floor (last in list)

I apologize in advance for the interior texture glitches in some parts of the ship as they look very ugly and are quite noticeable until they get fixed in the game! (This fix should take place sometime in InDev 0.58.0.) :)
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 05:58:12 pm by Darkstrike »

Captain Still

• Founder
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2012, 05:20:48 pm »
Yay, thanks Darkstrike :D

Edit: Wow, just tried it out. Officially my favourite ship. Nice work! I'd like to come and work on your ship in multiplayer :P
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 05:56:31 pm by Captain Still »