Author Topic: Nebulon B Frigate  (Read 37015 times)

Niwantaw

• Founder
  • Eternal Skipper O.Q
  • Grille'd
Re: Nebulon B Frigate
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2012, 11:20:53 am »
I believe most of the responses about there being bigger ships was just to point out that 300m isn't near the biggest.

However 300m ís a nice size to work with.  Not so big that it takes months to complete but big enough to fit some nice detail in.

we will have a million km long ships soon, sadly like most current big ships will lack detail and look ugly

Considering how long a 10km long ship would take with tools I doubt that we'll have that big ships for a long while yet.

What is with all the hatred of massive ships anyway? Why do you all automatically assume that a big ship will lack detail?

Is it because you assume everyone going for a large ship is simply counting on size to get praise or something?
(that wasn't aimed at vorga entirely as there seems to be a fair few people of a similar mindset)
"God damnit why does everything have to be in sweedish? I don't understand shit"-Davee

<Strait_Raider> "The Big 4 could be equipped with a Bren gun or a 3 inch mortar..."
<Strait_Raider>That's like... my two favorite things.
     Put together.
     That's like... Kate Upton in a Tiger

Vininator

• Founder
  • Owner of Galactic Munitions Inc... and a cool guy.
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2012, 11:45:43 am »
As a matter of fact I'm planning on building a 3.5 km beast, and i'm gonna squish as much detail into it as i can :D
It's gonna be mostly hollow though... because I still have no idea about actual mechanical requirements.

theallmightybob

• Founder
  • Sleep is for the weak.
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2012, 01:35:05 pm »
if i rember right, dosent that ship also have the ability to carry/dock a few Xwings to the cental shaft? also would you be apposed to posting your .BRD file from your entity folder for us to take a look around?

as for ship size, personaly i find the 200-400m rannge the best size to play with. its nice to have a big big ship, but that alot of time i dont want to sync into something at the moment. espicaly when we dont have that many working systems blocks yet.
would you buy a toaster shaped like an f22 with an eject button on it? cause thats what i'm going for.

dracorotor

• Founder
  • I personalize my gun
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2012, 03:47:54 pm »
Honestly, I already thickened the post more than I probably should have. I needed to fit in the extra floor when I build the interior.

Two things not yet shown are the docking tubes under the pylon, and the engineering bubble. For that matter, I haven't added my forward, and central antennae, and the stern shield generator tower. I'm going to leave a space for if the developers add shield generator blocks I can put in there.

I'm still slapping the external plating together, so I'll have to post another screenshot once I've finished the pylon to settle the debate on it's appearance

if i rember right, dosent that ship also have the ability to carry/dock a few Xwings to the cental shaft? also would you be apposed to posting your .BRD file from your entity folder for us to take a look around?

as for ship size, personaly i find the 200-400m rannge the best size to play with. its nice to have a big big ship, but that alot of time i dont want to sync into something at the moment. espicaly when we dont have that many working systems blocks yet.

absolutely. As soon as I've finished the structures, you'll get my .BRD file. I don't want to misrepresent myself with a product I might still drastically change to match canon... And yes, I'll include three fighter docking tubes and one freighter docking tube, as featured in the comics, Empire Strikes Back and the video game Dark Forces.

So here are some of my resources. If anyone knows where I can find any other floors from this resource, please tell me. I'm trying to figure out how much of the forward compartment is water tank still.

http://www.sterlinghershey.com/picture/fop-deck17.jpg?pictureId=2779165

http://www.sterlinghershey.com/graphics-portfolio/cartography/2779164

...and my appearance references:
http://images.wikia.com/starwars/images/4/4d/Nebulon-b_negvv.jpg
http://images.wikia.com/starwars/images/1/12/NebulonB_schem.jpg
http://actionfleetunlimited.com/customs/empire_era/nebulon_frigate6.jpg
http://www.sithclan.net/SWE/depot_images/image/ILLUSDSFICHES/fregate_neb1.jpg

I just finished one of the substructure side plates and added the bridge chamber to work on steering. Here is a screenshot of what it looks like:

Edit Zerebo: combined double post
« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 01:49:31 pm by Zerebo »
"'What the h**l are you doing you mother******s?!!11'
I Gasped it was................. Dumbledoor!!!1"

MrVorgra

• Founder
  • RAWR!
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2012, 09:31:48 pm »
Im liking that control room.

Oh sorry I mean't a million, 1km + ships once the editor released, I also mean't to imply that big is not always best and that 300-400 is an ideal size for detail and size (imo)
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 09:42:42 pm by MrVorgra »
Real Men drive vehicles without knowing how fast they are moving or how much fuel remains in the tank.

sterlinghershey

• Spacer
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2012, 11:23:43 pm »
Hey, this looks great. I noticed the new source of traffic on my site and anything named blockade runner is likely to get my attention.

I was the one who created the deck plans for the Nebulon B for West End Games' Star Wars Roleplaying Game. It was for a book called the Far Orbit Project, which was a Nebulon-B - the campaign centers on the ship. While not every deck was included, many were, and more than the couple of images I have on my website portfolio. There are also written details about the ship itself. I should also point out that when this was created, it was not intended to be the exact "Medical Frigate" of Empire Strikes Back, but one of a similar type. It had more in common with the Xwing video game version. That said, I made sure the medical bay had a window appropriate for the ending scene of Empire.

You should pick up the book (it is still available through sources at amazon). It has parts of decks 1, 2, 4, 6, 7, 9 and 16. It has all of the forward sections of decks 5, 8, 11, 14, 17 (bridge, which is on my site), 18, 21 & 26. It also has aft deck 9 (engineering, which is on my site). Each has a graphical scale, so you can actually measure the different decks. Though, as you already know, there's a lot of eyeballing shapes and sizes on this ship because of the irregular shapes.

It is worth noting that the size and number of decks were not determined by me, they already existed, as did some of the ship's general arrangement. They were given to me, and originally came from the Medical Frigate Section  in the Star Wars Technical Journal. The number of decks vs length of ship meant the floor to floor height of the decks was on the low side. I was also given a list of what to include on each deck, so while I designed the arrangement in plan, there were other sources involved.

Also, at the time (back in the late '90s), I could find no shot of the starboard side of the ship model in any movie or still. The only reference was from the X-Wing video game. The movies always show the antenna side (and even flip the image in RotJ).

Good Luck. And I'll plug this forum and blockade runner on my weekly Star Wars Wednesday blog.

Sterling
www.sterlinghershey.com

dracorotor

• Founder
  • I personalize my gun
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2012, 02:31:00 am »
Hey, this looks great. I noticed the new source of traffic on my site and anything named blockade runner is likely to get my attention.

I was the one who created the deck plans for the Nebulon B for West End Games' Star Wars Roleplaying Game. It was for a book called the Far Orbit Project, which was a Nebulon-B - the campaign centers on the ship. While not every deck was included, many were, and more than the couple of images I have on my website portfolio. There are also written details about the ship itself. I should also point out that when this was created, it was not intended to be the exact "Medical Frigate" of Empire Strikes Back, but one of a similar type. It had more in common with the Xwing video game version. That said, I made sure the medical bay had a window appropriate for the ending scene of Empire.

You should pick up the book (it is still available through sources at amazon). It has parts of decks 1, 2, 4, 6, 7, 9 and 16. It has all of the forward sections of decks 5, 8, 11, 14, 17 (bridge, which is on my site), 18, 21 & 26. It also has aft deck 9 (engineering, which is on my site). Each has a graphical scale, so you can actually measure the different decks. Though, as you already know, there's a lot of eyeballing shapes and sizes on this ship because of the irregular shapes.

It is worth noting that the size and number of decks were not determined by me, they already existed, as did some of the ship's general arrangement. They were given to me, and originally came from the Medical Frigate Section  in the Star Wars Technical Journal. The number of decks vs length of ship meant the floor to floor height of the decks was on the low side. I was also given a list of what to include on each deck, so while I designed the arrangement in plan, there were other sources involved.

:) Nice to see more than just myself remembering the Star Wars games of the 90s. Do you happen to remember how tall the fuel cells were? I can get the number of floors with space allotted to them, but I'm sort of hoping to get the scale right for my take on the interiors.

I found I'm not going to be able to fit in as many floors as you because of the 1-meter blocks I'm working with. Given that this is a starship, though, one would think thicker hulls would be better, so I'm not too worried :). I am using your resources as much as possible, though, to recreate key features like the bridge and engineering compartments. Thanks!

dracorotor

• Founder
  • I personalize my gun
Nebulon B Frigate Update
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2012, 08:15:35 pm »
My first screencap was of the frigate at stage 2: basic structure design.

Well now I'm at stage 3, which is a finished "skin" of aluminum framework, and I worked a little on mass management before going in to the hull plating stage and deck design. Surprisingly, everything has been perfectly balanced so far, and when I kicked those engines on for the first time, before any balancing at all, it flew straight as an arrow. :D

I'm still working on a few parts that I think look wrong, and obviously it needs some skin. and a few more places still need plating. Once I've gotten the last few parts skinned, even though the armor plating is entirely random right now (I always fly the camera along parts with the "lay plate" button held down throughout the earlier parts of the process, so there would be somewhat less to do later), I'll put up the file for download. Probably as an edit to this post, so keep a watch for that.

Note, for those looking for canon features, that I've kept true to universal design specs. The engineering chamber and bridge are as close to the schematics as possible, the antenae are placed to closely match the movie model, and the docking tubes are exactly where they are in images of other models, the movies' stills, and, in the case of fighter docks, the old Moldy Crow from Dark Forces.

Thoughts and suggestions always welcome.

Spoiler
« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 11:37:00 pm by dracorotor »

Vininator

• Founder
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2012, 08:49:58 pm »
It's not uncommon for a big ship to be pretty stable. When you get to that size it takes a lot more weight to throw it off. Although looking at the shape of it, it does surprise me :P

dracorotor

• Founder
  • I personalize my gun
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2012, 12:30:11 pm »
BRD AVAILABLE NOW! I PROMISE!

I'm still plating it, but with a new resource to gather decking data from, I've begun to do interiors. I'm excited to use angle blocks and new colors to finish the exterior. I hope the next indev version comes out soon.

I'm ready to include the saved version as she currently stands. so here is my brd. Please excuse the incomplete plating. I'm working on it every lunch break, I promise. Remember that this is a WIP project, and be gentle! :S

Because of it's size, I had to compress the brd.

Vininator

• Founder
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2012, 12:32:31 pm »
ooohhh BRD you say...

Finally something I can use to scale against my ships :D

Alaric

• Super Moderator
  • I making space ships!
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2012, 03:25:39 pm »
Because of it's size, I had to compress the brd.

That is actually the preferred method of posting them. You'll notice that they compress very well, they are not optimized in their raw form.

Looking great so far! I like the ribbed effect from the curved sections of the hull (due to using strictly cubes).
<Czorio> The bittersweet embrace of the Alaric is the only embrace I'll ever know.
<Gabriel> Because Alaric robbed your pleasure...
<Aaron> I feel dirty. Alaric, pls hold me.
<Terah> I don't guess when it comes to you Alaric, I just assume you are always watching...

dracorotor

• Founder
  • I personalize my gun
« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2012, 11:35:34 pm »
I was planning on adding plating to the rest, but since I want this to be more realistic and usable as we move forward in features, I don't want to over-use the impenetrable dark plates, so I'll be waiting to use colored plates for the contrast between inner and outer armor on the substructures.

I've just gotten my new Star Wars tech manual with a side-view breakdown of the decks, and will be using it to assemble the insides while I wait for the (hopefully soon) release of the next gen of indev.

Given how many colors I can choose from, I might add a symbol to the side. Anyone have a good idea for a nice canon icon/symbol to put on the hull circa the thrawn trillogy? Also, speaking of canon, does anyone have specifics on which floors the other 6 turbolasers are supposed to be? I'm hoping for turrets, but I want to put in something for now to add at least a FEW more guns.

dracorotor

• Founder
  • I personalize my gun
« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2012, 06:50:25 pm »
So I now have new drama for my Nebulon.

Turns out that in addition to the B2 variant, Medical frigate variant, and carrier variant, there are two version of these as well! Here is the common version
http://images.wikia.com/starwars/images/1/12/NebulonB_schem.jpg

and here is a variant with an altered stern and adjusted forward viewports
http://gioco.net/starwars/ultimosettore/images/starships/Nebulon%20B%20Frigate.png

I'll attach the ship's latest version, though. I've been working on the engines and deck layouts, which is about 1/3 done. Sorry it's so messy.

theallmightybob

• Founder
  • Sleep is for the weak.
« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2012, 09:40:33 pm »
dont worry about the mess. it looks good. i think you should save all the varrients for the editor. dident you say most of them were also made of older ship parts in starwars cannon or something? maybe you can fudge it a little and make your own mashup.
would you buy a toaster shaped like an f22 with an eject button on it? cause thats what i'm going for.