Author Topic: Nebulon B Frigate  (Read 35014 times)

dracorotor

• Founder
  • I personalize my gun
Nebulon B Frigate
« on: March 27, 2012, 02:09:42 am »
LATEST VERSION: The latest version as of 7/18/12 is "Nebulon B FrigateNEW98" renamed "Nebulon B Frigate" available attached to this post

I've set out to make a 100% Scale accurate Nebulon B Frigate :D... Then I realized how IMMENSE this monstrosity is. 300meters long seems small when you set it next to a VSD, but compared to anything else in Blockade Runner that I have, it's I N S A N E!

EDIT: Everyone keeps telling me off for how many big ships there are already being made. I want to emphasize that I'm not claiming to dwarf anyone else's projects, just that my build is dwarfing those that I have either by default when I bought the game, of that I downloaded from this forum.

I did this to myself in Minecraft once. I look at a project and say "Oh it's X-long and Y-tall? hah! I can build those line very quickly! I'll be done in an hour!" Then I get into the project and remind myself "Hey, dummy, you forgot you have to plate and furnish every floor, you're not done at a wireframe, whether you like it or not"

So After 4 days of nearly continuous toil, and drawing on over a year of Minecraft creating experience, I finall have enough of a ship to feel like I you can see what it will look like when finished.

There is still a lot to do. I found a resource listing 10 floors of the frigate, but the creator had NO idea of scale, completely ignored the engineering section, and, of all things, forgot the BRIDGE. Luckily someone once laid out a floorplan for a tabletop gaming adventure module, and I will be using the images of that to lay out the engineering sector and bridge, with the rest as my own design with an eye to ballance. I'll still keep to a minimum of 17 floors to be true to SW canon.

Everything here is from eyeball measurements and I know the central pylon is WAY too thick, but otherwise, what does everyone think?

« Last Edit: July 18, 2012, 02:56:05 am by dracorotor »
"'What the h**l are you doing you mother******s?!!11'
I Gasped it was................. Dumbledoor!!!1"

theallmightybob

• Founder
  • Sleep is for the weak.
Re: Nebulon B Frigate
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2012, 02:40:30 am »
pretty spiffy, but we have a few partial 1 km plus ships floating around. still it looks great.
would you buy a toaster shaped like an f22 with an eject button on it? cause thats what i'm going for.

dracorotor

• Founder
  • I personalize my gun
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2012, 03:18:19 am »
Lol,, I have a lot of time on my hands, but not THAT MUCH time :) Still, I'm excited to see those completed. I saw someone was starting a Venator a while back, and I'd love to see a full-scale Enterprise of Romulan battleship

MrVorgra

• Founder
  • RAWR!
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2012, 05:25:07 am »
we will have a million km long ships soon, sadly like most current big ships will lack detail and look ugly
Real Men drive vehicles without knowing how fast they are moving or how much fuel remains in the tank.

mamastoast

• Founder
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2012, 07:11:04 am »
Gotta agree with Vorgra. There are quite a big ships "bigger" than the one you're doing. But your sip is absolutely awesome from what I can see. Great shape, so far good detail, appropriate size too, just finally something that shows how to make a proper actual space ship in BR.

Vininator

• Founder
  • Owner of Galactic Munitions Inc... and a cool guy.
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2012, 07:52:11 am »
Absolutely awesome. Loving the detail already :)
Although I hated that stupid design in the movie :P

mamastoast

• Founder
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2012, 07:58:49 am »
having looked at the original ship design I'd that you ought to add some more mass on the middle thin part. Where as I understand you wanna make an actual scale model, I think the ship would look better with some more substance there

Strait Raider

• It's "Strait", as in the body of water.
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2012, 09:05:48 am »
The size is certainly impressive, though we have some much bigger projects now. I know from shelling a 400m ship just how much work it is without tools.

What impresses me is the Detail. You've obviously put a lot of effort into getting it right, and it looks spectacular as a result.

dracorotor

• Founder
  • I personalize my gun
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2012, 09:16:15 am »
having looked at the original ship design I'd that you ought to add some more mass on the middle thin part. Where as I understand you wanna make an actual scale model, I think the ship would look better with some more substance there

I considered expanding the forward substructures backwards into the open space if there proved to be a balance issue, but actually, I was quite shocked to discover that the balance has been pretty even the whole way, with the center of gravity right where it is supposed to be. It's the huge stern batteries that are called for in the schematics: They keep the center of mass right where I want it without me having to do much but bury some gold in a few key areas.

What were you picturing?

Wolv

• Founder
  • Intergalactic beer brewery inc.
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2012, 09:35:23 am »
I think you should ignore absolutely anyone who claims their 1km ship is any "better" or more interesting, especially if it isnt finished yet.

This is looking awesome!
and huge!
You might be an aircraft mechanic if....
You've ever said "Oh yes, its supposed to look like that"
You have been blamed by management for looking where you were "NOT SUPPOSED TO BE LOOKING".
Wiped leaks immediately prior to crew show.
You have wanted to put your foot up a pilot's ass.

mamastoast

• Founder
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2012, 09:54:52 am »
@dacorotor

Well, imagine that middle tube as having a more bulky look. Of course it should still be a thinner section of the ship, but as it stands now it looks as if it could break at any moment. Perhaps adding something in the middle.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 10:18:04 am by mamastoast »

Vininator

• Founder
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2012, 10:16:04 am »
I think you should ignore absolutely anyone who claims their 1km ship is any "better" or more interesting, especially if it isnt finished yet.

This is looking awesome!
and huge!

Well, imagine that middle tube as having a more bulky look. Of course it should still be a thinner section of the ship, but as it stands now it looks as if it could break at any moment. Perhaps adding something in the middle.

Its a recreation of the Nebulon B in Star Wars. That's what it's supposed to look like :)

Strait Raider

• It's "Strait", as in the body of water.
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2012, 10:17:17 am »

Meh, I say finish the replica true to the original material as a museum piece then modify it to be more practical if you need to. :P

Rumor has it the Nebulon B was cobbled together out of all the leftover model pieces they hadn't used when building models for Star Wars, so it's entirely legitimate to make changes to the design. ><

Vininator

• Founder
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2012, 10:18:53 am »
Rumor has it the Nebulon B was cobbled together out of all the leftover model pieces they hadn't used when building models for Star Wars, so it's entirely legitimate to make changes to the design. ><

NOOOOO not canon GAAARRGLE

mamastoast

• Founder
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2012, 10:19:33 am »

This is looking awesome!
and huge!

Its a recreation of the Nebulon B in Star Wars. That's what it's supposed to look like :)

I'm sorry, I hit the wrong "quote" button. For some reason it's on the top of the related post on this forum, something I'll never get used to. I ment to respond to draco.

And yea I know, as I already said to him, but I'm just saying that -if- he wanted to improve the design, that's something to think about :)