Author Topic: Space Barnacles  (Read 11314 times)

SnowDragon

• First to use a Sigpic!
Space Barnacles
« on: February 07, 2012, 05:56:54 am »
Hey, here's an idea. Space Barnacles!

Say you have a ship. If it's not well maintained, and the hull not cleaned on occasion, Stellar moss should start to form on colder areas of the ship (Nose areas, away from the main engines and reactors etc) or something along those lines. Got the idea from the in game desciprtion of the moss.

~~SD

• Founder
Re: Space Barnacles
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2012, 07:14:11 am »
lol. trumbles (or the fifth element equivelant) anyone?

this thread title made my chuckle. hehe if unkept it could start corroding hull piecs or making the crew sick :P

SnowDragon

• First to use a Sigpic!
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2012, 07:25:57 am »
And leave it to grow large enough it might throw off your ship balance, clog the engines or weapons.

theallmightybob

• Founder
  • Sleep is for the weak.
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2012, 08:26:03 am »
what would trigger this though? the moss spore has to come from someware. maybe you can pick it up like an STD from a nebula. lol. could be cool.
would you buy a toaster shaped like an f22 with an eject button on it? cause thats what i'm going for.

Tjimsitt

• Founder
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2012, 09:14:20 am »
what would trigger this though? the moss spore has to come from someware. maybe you can pick it up like an STD from a nebula. lol. could be cool.

:D An STD :D What are you planning to do with nebulae you encounter? No, don't say. You dirty little man...

MrVorgra

• Founder
  • RAWR!
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2012, 09:32:01 am »
Moss requires water to grow (it gets the oxygen and nutrients from it) so from a biological way it wouldn't work, but then again there is probably some form of "space moss/fungi/virus/miniture civilisation"

And from a game play point of view it would add dynamics, and the feeling of time/age to the game.

What about Rust, Salty chunks of Ice from a Planets ring could melt a little when passing your ship (due to the heat obviously) and cause a bit of rust
Real Men drive vehicles without knowing how fast they are moving or how much fuel remains in the tank.

theallmightybob

• Founder
  • Sleep is for the weak.
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2012, 09:38:42 am »
rust would really depend on what your using for plating. aluminium and tungstun dont really rust much, and aluminum oxide is a very hard material that actually protects the aluminum from further corrosion; tungsten has to get to positive 400c to rust so thats probibly not gonna happen much except around engine exaust, which will just blow the water away. so really only the steel plating would have that issue, and i'm not even sure if that would be a problem in space.
would you buy a toaster shaped like an f22 with an eject button on it? cause thats what i'm going for.

SnowDragon

• First to use a Sigpic!
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2012, 10:48:57 am »
Rust requires oxygen. Yes, there's none of that in space. You, however, need it to breathe, so there's plenty of it WITHIN the ship...

This would also add a game dynamic of old ships being unrealiable without having to code anything extra for it. The older a ship gets, the more likely it is to have space moss buildup, ship STDs, rust or duct-taped air seals...

theallmightybob

• Founder
  • Sleep is for the weak.
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2012, 11:08:12 am »
well i would hope your life support keeps the humitity down. it could be cool though if some plating is more resistant to these effects but less protective from weapons fire. perfect for a space sation in an acididc nebula or someting.

Zerebo

• Super Moderator
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2012, 11:37:01 am »
But your ship should just decay when you don't have enough crew to maintenance the systems, abandon your ship, or fly into deadly nebulas.
Otherwise it's just annoying when you have to swap your ship every few hours.

Abandoned ships being damaged, corroded and full of space weed could make salvaging them much more interesting.
No free ship, instead you have to invest time and ressources to make it work again.
Some ships could even be in so bad shape that you can just salvage a few parts.

Strait Raider

• It's "Strait", as in the body of water.
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2012, 11:38:38 am »
Space moss is just free camouflage. :D

I personally don't want to see much in the way of degradation of ships in terms of rust and such. The issue I have is that IRL, the time frame to develop these issue is relatively large (especially as you say, in space) compared to the amount of time we will be in-game. What arises from this is that it either happens so slowly that it really has no effect on gameplay or it happens so quickly that it becomes annoying and immersion-breaking. I'm thinking mostly in terms of Fallout 3's equipment maintenance during regular use.

I do like the idea of the moss though, in several varieties if possible. I agree with theallmightybob that it should not occur at random and should have a source. The STD example is... quaint... but appropriate. Prolonged contact with an infested ship, asteroid or nebulae could pass on a patch or two that grows at a slow pace. Indeed, the growth of the infestation could be quite fun to watch. (Isn't it always?)

I don't think that the effects of these mosses should be cripplingly bad, and perhaps some might even have -slight- beneficial effects. (still overshadowed by negative effects)

I've got some loose thoughts on this.
- Moss travels along the surface of connected blocks only so that if your ship is completely sealed it cannot get in.
- Moss on complicated machinery such as computers or energy weapons will cause them to stop working.
- Moss effects need to be either localized or dependent on colony size to account for growth of colonies.
- Shipyards have decontamination equipment for a small fee and your ship must be decontaminated before a shipyard will work on it.
- If the temperature of the host block exceeds a couple hundred degrees C, the moss should be destroyed. (flyby a star for a free decontamination)
- Mild beneficial effects could include a slight reduction in sensor signature or partial immunity to the affects of certain nebulae.
- Primary negative effects could include a reduction in FTL jump distance, weakening of hull armor, or damage to crew if it gets inside your ship.
- Weathering steel is a type of structural steel designed to quickly rust on the outside, producing a layer that protects the rest of the metal. Perhaps this could be included in some way as well?

• Founder
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2012, 11:54:41 am »
Strait raider. i agree. i dont want to have to fix my ship constantly for just flying from A-B (think wweapons and repair hammers in oblivion, think and hate) but i think that space barnnicles could be a great side quest joke thingy. say a strange trader aproaches you and sells you some amazing cargo really cheap. only way to get rid of it is to burn it, by flying close to a sun (ala Elite).

SnowDragon

• First to use a Sigpic!
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2012, 11:55:21 am »
Anyone remember the gizka from the first KOTOR? :P

Matz05

• Founder
  • Diabolical Genius
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2012, 11:08:55 am »
I can just picture it: A derelict freighter, orbiting a small moon. Outside covered in moss, inside covered in an ecosystem of space moss and tribbles... and possibly some horrible predators who are tired of eating tribbles for years...
Posted By Alaric on 28 Jun 2011 04:54 PM
...it doesn't matter, I making space ships!

SnowDragon

• First to use a Sigpic!
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2012, 12:06:05 pm »
Mainly, the captain's pet velcoraptor... With a laser taped to it's head.