Author Topic: Shipyard and Ship Building  (Read 9654 times)

Me2005

• Founder
  • Contributor
Re: Shipyard and Ship Building
« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2016, 04:17:45 pm »
Having worked in retail, markup tends to be roughly 200% of material costs to cover shipping and overhead, actual raw material to finished stock tends to run into the 1000% range and wholesale is about 800-900% of the original bill of materials.

But these aren't physical goods, they are designs for ships made from parts everyone has equal access to. Upcharging when someone could copy them from parts they also have available makes no sense.

I really like the way Robocraft handles this: You pay to upload your design, then the shop determines what to charge (which I think may actually be just the bot's cost to build), and you get a cut of that for each sale. Purchased bots can't be resubmitted to the store, no matter how many changes you make.

Haven't read yet, but why the necro... :c  I look at the date of the original posts and have a sad...

Hyperion started it!
But you were dead a thousand times. Hopeless encounters successfully won. A man long dead, grafted to machines your builders did not understand. You follow the path, fitting into an infinite pattern. Yours to manipulate, to create and rebuild.

I know who you are.

You are destiny.

Aaron

• BR Developer
  • Creative Director, ZanMgt
  • Available on the IRC from 9:00am to 5:00pm (EST)
    • http://www.zanmgt.com
« Reply #31 on: February 26, 2016, 10:27:11 am »
'K, I've read and caught up!

@Hyperion

You're not suggesting selling ships for real money are ya?  Hahah, because um... yeah, our lawyer would have a problem with that. ;D (j/k j/k, I know you're talkin' credits)

Welp... it's a good idea you've got for a fan-made mod, (we won't be doing it in vanilla).  The trouble I'm seeing is how to transferring the credit data between servers and prevent cheating. =|

Edit

Mind if I split this into a new topic? ;D
Stop by the IRC and say Hi! -- Online Dev Chat

Hyperion

• Founder
  • SnowDragon's Lackey
« Reply #32 on: March 10, 2016, 10:10:55 pm »
Been gone for a few days.

My first experience with online gaming was with Star Wars Galaxies which had a fairly large amount of players and I had a huge amount of fun in the game mostly because of the interaction between other players, and not so much from the game itself.

I was initially under the assumption that there would be a ship showcase on the main website that people could download a ship in game if they didn't want to take the time to build one themselves. So, my main thought point was how to reward a player for taking the (potentially significant) time to design a really well made ship and increase community interaction and game immersion a little bit. I had the idea that if someone designed a popular ship then their time they spent in the designer would be compensated by in game credits from other player's downloads, which would let them kick start game.

But, now that I've had a few days to think it over I don't think linking in game credits to this would be a good idea for a game that is widely open to modders (it would just be another thing to break and complain about).

I'm not sorry about the necromancy because I couldn't find a recent topic to post in.

P.S. Aaron, I don't think there is much more discussion to warrant a brand new topic.
I don't want to go "Oh! there's shots going my way! No big deal I'm the U.S.S Bloody Massive, It won't even leave a scratch." *boom* "SHIT! BIG DEAL! HUGE DEAL!"

Aaron

• BR Developer
  • Creative Director, ZanMgt
  • Available on the IRC from 9:00am to 5:00pm (EST)
    • http://www.zanmgt.com
« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2016, 04:42:01 pm »
@Hyperion

Lol, no probs.

A transferable currency between /mods/ is nothing we can the time budget for, but thanks to CS-Script I think people could come up with their own encrypted-but-transferable currency.  It couldn't communicate with a separate server (as far as I know), so the currency would have to be stored locally.  It just seems messy to deal with to me, but if someone comes up with an ingenious solution, huzzah. ;D
Stop by the IRC and say Hi! -- Online Dev Chat

Me2005

• Founder
  • Contributor
« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2016, 07:06:42 pm »
I was initially under the assumption that there would be a ship showcase on the main website that people could download a ship in game if they didn't want to take the time to build one themselves.

If there was such a thing, I'd just prefer the price for ships be set by the game and not the player. Then the game gives the player a cut of the cost regardless of how much the actual blocks cost: Maybe it's +10% to buy a ship vs. build it yourself; maybe it's +0%, but the designer always gets 20% of the ship's cost even if the game is theoretically taking a loss.

But, now that I've had a few days to think it over I don't think linking in game credits to this would be a good idea for a game that is widely open to modders (it would just be another thing to break and complain about).

Didn't think of this. Also theoretically, it'd be a server-based 'store', so maybe that'd add some strength against mod-hacking. But if that's the case, it'd be just as easy to mod-hack some credits into your account as it would be to mod-hack a ship into your store-account, so the point may be moot.
But you were dead a thousand times. Hopeless encounters successfully won. A man long dead, grafted to machines your builders did not understand. You follow the path, fitting into an infinite pattern. Yours to manipulate, to create and rebuild.

I know who you are.

You are destiny.