Author Topic: Shipyard and Ship Building  (Read 9636 times)

Xavierman117

• Founder
  • That one guy, you know, that one.
Re: Shipyard and Ship Building
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2012, 01:04:43 am »
"Procuring resources yourself" also includes things like "buying raw materials mined by another player," "buying raw materials from NPCs," "Trashing a sufficiently sized pirate fleet and scrapping their ships for parts and scrap metal," etcetera. Just the idea that somehow you yourself have to somehow get sufficient resources into your posession to build the ship, not that you have to mine every gram of iron yourself.
cheers for the clear up.

Yes mining every gram should be the way it works, so I can then beat other players into slavery, Mwahahahaha!!!!!
yes. yes times infinity. on the slavery part only though.
Meh.

Strait Raider

• It's "Strait", as in the body of water.
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2012, 10:48:21 am »
I would assume that one could also simply order any components they didn't have from the shipyard itself, which should have its own supply lines for such things. (they do make ships, after all)

Zero_X4

• Founder
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2012, 12:45:01 pm »
I would assume that one could also simply order any components they didn't have from the shipyard itself, which should have its own supply lines for such things. (they do make ships, after all)

Or have it build to the point where the player's resources are gone, and then put construction on hold for another shipment of materials.
I was running towards Engineering when suddenly a massive shudder went through the ship, and the Grav plating went offline as the lights shut down. The ship suddenly ripped in half, sucking me into the vacuum of space.

Z00111111

• Founder
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2012, 05:09:37 pm »
Currency would be good in that aspect. You could then just pay a premium for resources straight from the shipyard.

SnowDragon

• First to use a Sigpic!
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2012, 11:57:27 am »
I like the idea of a player getting a loan from the shipyard, failing to pay his loan and the shipyard company coming to break his knees with a spacegolf club in exchange.

Zero_X4

• Founder
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2012, 05:12:01 pm »
I like the idea of a player getting a loan from the shipyard, failing to pay his loan and the shipyard company coming to break his knees with a spacegolf club in exchange.

All my ships will have a virus embedded in the computer systems. Don't pay up and the life support (or reactor containment) will go offline.
I was running towards Engineering when suddenly a massive shudder went through the ship, and the Grav plating went offline as the lights shut down. The ship suddenly ripped in half, sucking me into the vacuum of space.

Alaric

• Super Moderator
  • I making space ships!
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2012, 06:24:27 pm »
Split ship defenses discussion to here.
<Czorio> The bittersweet embrace of the Alaric is the only embrace I'll ever know.
<Gabriel> Because Alaric robbed your pleasure...
<Aaron> I feel dirty. Alaric, pls hold me.
<Terah> I don't guess when it comes to you Alaric, I just assume you are always watching...

MonteCristo

• Founder
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2012, 05:59:48 pm »
I love the ideas, but I had some thoughts about the economics of the NPC ships.  I'm not even sure I'd want it this way, but I thought I'd share.

Tangent:

If we're talking about base model NPC ships, it's possible they would be cheap, cheaper than a player could build for themselves.  However, more than likely they'd have very limited, or non-existent customization options and only basic functionality.  That, or more likely the cost to retrofit a base model would cost you more than it would to have built a custom ship in the first place.  Economies of scale, assembly line production, etc, could make these, for lack of a better category, "throw-away" ships.  Player-made vessels, if made with any forethought, could no doubt be much, much more powerful than their cookie-cutter counterpart, but require either the time to gather all the materials yourself, or the extra money to pay for the materials.

Upgrades could be killer too.  Again, not saying I necessarily want it this way, just thinking.  The cost to upgrade certain components on your ship could be massively expensive, depending on the complexity of the ship building system.  Think about replacing your engines (depending on the size of your ship), or your reactor.  The time and labor of gutting or rerouting could double or quadruple the cost of the installation.  This might make it more feasible for players to build new ships after acquiring the materials for several upgrades, as the cost to retrofit the old ship could be huge.  The NPC ships would be great as a temp fix after having your own destroyed, but you'd never hang onto it for long because of the associated cost of upgrading.

Strait Raider

• It's "Strait", as in the body of water.
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2012, 06:42:54 pm »
I think that there should be a slight cost to remove or move blocks around your ship. Ideally the cost would be low enough not to majorly discourage modification, but high enough to prevent gratuitous modification.

Matz05

• Founder
  • Diabolical Genius
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2012, 07:32:07 pm »
I'd rather have time as the main problem with hand-tool shipbuilding. Cost might be a minor factor...

So you would like to have a flag set on an entity setting a cost multiplier for repairs and adjustments, MonteCristo? Frankly, I think that would be a bad idea. What does it matter what used to be in an entity, if someone went and changed what it actually is?

I see building ships as having three stages:
1: Hand-building: Very labour intensive, slow, easy to do but tedious. See Minecraft/etc.
2: Using your handbuilt first 3d-printer/shipyard rack to make modules for larger projects that you tow into place and weld together by hand.
3: Building shipyards big enough to run off whole ships from .BRDs
Posted By Alaric on 28 Jun 2011 04:54 PM
...it doesn't matter, I making space ships!

MonteCristo

• Founder
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2012, 07:56:45 pm »
So you would like to have a flag set on an entity setting a cost multiplier for repairs and adjustments, MonteCristo?

No, I'm just pondering.  I'm not set on total realism by any means; it's just interesting to think about, and it ties in with NPC built ships & their prices. 

Hyperion

• Founder
  • SnowDragon's Lackey
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2016, 04:29:05 pm »
I wanted to archive a thought I had recently in regards to the economics of player made ship designs and how to counter piracy.

Lets say Joe builds a ship from scratch and uploads the schematic to the Marketplace on the main website and sets a price of say 1000 credits. ("U.S.S Enterprise", Designer: Joe, #12345) Larry decides he wants to purchase this design for his own use on Server A. Larry receives a schematic of the ship that he can then go to a shipyard and have them build the ship for him.

The schematic that Larry bought is a licensed copy of the original ship that Joe uploaded for sale, Larry can make modifications to the ship and save it as a revised schematic. However if Larry decides to sell the ship with his modifications on the Marketplace, the schematic will be listed as a revision to the original schematic that Joe uploaded. ("U.S.S Enterprise","Larry's cOol nEw ShIp", Designer: Joe, Revised By: Larry, #12345-1)

Now Sherry on Server B, purchases Larry's revised schematic. She can go in the editor and make changes as she sees fit, however in order to build the ship at a shipyard in her server she must combine the revised schematic she bought from Larry with the original schematic sold by Joe in order to make a licensed copy of the ship with Larry's modifications.

And lastly Joe uploades a Mk II variant to the Martketplace for 10 credits, people can then purchase and refit their existing Mk I ship to the new design. ("U.S.S Enterprise","MK II", Designer: Joe, Revised By: Joe, #12345-3)Even if the revision is from the original designer you would still need to purchase the original Mk I schematic in order to build the MK II ship at a shipyard. ~This is to prevent higher prices if you want to upgrade to the MK II variant but the designer only changed the turret loadout. This would help prevent spending huge amounts money for a small upgrade.~ ~Another way to mitigate this, is to set the maximum price someone can charge for a revision to correlate to the number of blocks added or removed. Say 1 credit per 10 blocks for example.~

Ship Naming Scheme:

Name: "Name of Ship","Name of modification(if any)", Designer: "Name of Original Builder", Revised By: "Name of Uploader", "Ship Identification Number"-"Revision Number to Original Design"

Revision Number:

This number follows a XXXX-XX format where the first number set is a randomly assigned number designation to the original ship schematic when it was uploaded to the Marketplace. The second number set is a number given to a revision of a design when it was uploaded to the marketplace.
Example:
("U.S.S Enterprise", Designer: Joe, #12345-0)
("U.S.S Enterprise","Larry's cOol nEw ShIp", Designer: Joe, Revised By: Larry, #12345-1)
("U.S.S Enterprise","Sherry's Transport", Designer: Joe, Revised By: Sherry, #12345-2)
("U.S.S Enterprise","MK II", Designer: Joe, Revised By: Joe, #12345-3)

So on and so forth...

Economics

With this scheme in place the credits Larry used to purchase the design would be transferred to Joe's global account that he can then transfer the credits to any server that he is on. However he cannot transfer credits from the server back to his global account.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2016, 04:31:23 pm by Hyperion »
I don't want to go "Oh! there's shots going my way! No big deal I'm the U.S.S Bloody Massive, It won't even leave a scratch." *boom* "SHIT! BIG DEAL! HUGE DEAL!"

Me2005

• Founder
  • Contributor
« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2016, 07:36:16 pm »
*snip*

This sounds good, but it does not prevent me copying a ship block-by-block, so you could end up with a "Enterprise Mk I" and a "Joe's Awesome Ship" unaccredited to the original creator. Might be best to just post the ship-designs people want to post with a simple cost-to-build based on block count/type, and if the creator gets anything it's just a cut of that cost or a fixed fee set by the Devs.
But you were dead a thousand times. Hopeless encounters successfully won. A man long dead, grafted to machines your builders did not understand. You follow the path, fitting into an infinite pattern. Yours to manipulate, to create and rebuild.

I know who you are.

You are destiny.

Cy83r

• Founder
  • It's Shooowtime!
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2016, 09:39:17 pm »
Having worked in retail, markup tends to be roughly 200% of material costs to cover shipping and overhead, actual raw material to finished stock tends to run into the 1000% range and wholesale is about 800-900% of the original bill of materials.
Jibreel: Yeah but [Hufer] that's like [Axis] complaining that his Toyota Camry is stuck in the mud and you responding "Well my M1 Abrams doesn't seem to be having much trouble."

Aaron

• BR Developer
  • Creative Director, ZanMgt
  • Available on the IRC from 9:00am to 5:00pm (EST)
    • http://www.zanmgt.com
« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2016, 03:22:27 pm »
Haven't read yet, but why the necro... :c  I look at the date of the original posts and have a sad...

Spoiler
Stop by the IRC and say Hi! -- Online Dev Chat