Author Topic: Planetary Combat  (Read 9102 times)

theallmightybob

• Founder
  • Sleep is for the weak.
Re: Planetary Combat
« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2012, 08:31:58 pm »
Good point.  :-[

I suppose that once you start getting into subdivisions that are relatively flat, you could let the game hand over rendering things from using sphere-segment poxels to pure polygonal representation? But to my understanding, this would render you largely unable to interact with and manipulate the terrain as universally and organically as we've been hoping for/thinking about.

you could write an algorythem that simply just re-gens parts of the planet that have never been player modified. so its only really saving chunks that have a structure or a mine on them.  its highly unlikley that all the players on your server are going to have a combined planet moddefied surface bigger then a large MC map, so all the stuff you dont touch can simply be re-gen from the see for the planet.

that way you can fly over a planet looking for a good site to build something and it will simply not save all the chunks you load, just show you what they look like, then unload them complealy untill you come back. it will allways look the same since its drawing from the same seed number to generate it all. 

you could also have 3d chunks if we are going to be digging deep into plaent. that way as well when you fly over the plent its only really loading surface chunks that are X blocks deep so taht it can keep up with your fly by.
would you buy a toaster shaped like an f22 with an eject button on it? cause thats what i'm going for.

Matz05

• Founder
  • Diabolical Genius
« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2012, 08:07:33 pm »
Yeah, that sounds like a plan. Only calculate the LOD that is needed, allow unmodified chunks to be regened from the same seed?

Planets->continents->biomes->superchunks->chunks->blocks.

No need saving a continent with no modified blocks on it.

You generate a planet's continental structure from a fixed seed, each gets its own seed value in the process. You generate a continent's biome structure from the seed value, each gets its own seed in turn...
Posted By Alaric on 28 Jun 2011 04:54 PM
...it doesn't matter, I making space ships!

Iago

• Founder
  • Keep calm and charge the FTL drive
« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2013, 04:40:17 am »
Something I was thinking was that when you get closer to the planet the polygon map (the map with all the oceans, mountains, continents etc) turns into voxels.
If you build in these chunks, they get saved and can be revisited. If you don't build there, and lift-off again, the voxels turn back into the polygon map. Which keeps the GENERAL information about the area(crater, mountain n' stugh)
Superbia mentis potens in armis.

Thadius Faran

• Founder
  • Leader of the S.D.I and CEO of 301st industries
    • 301st Corp
« Reply #33 on: November 03, 2013, 06:34:01 am »
Necromancy!!!! But while im here! Planets are way ahead and im betting that they wont be Starmade planets because those are disks and ZANMGT really likes quality!
If your going to use military force you ought to use overwhelming military force. All war is immoral and if you let that bother you your not a good soldier.

Aaron

• BR Developer
  • Creative Director, ZanMgt
  • Available on the IRC from 9:00am to 5:00pm (EST)
    • http://www.zanmgt.com
« Reply #34 on: November 03, 2013, 02:09:57 pm »
More or less how Iago described it, Planets (when we get to them) will be handled in a "LOD geometric sphere to voxel terrain".  Also as described in the FAQ. =]
Stop by the IRC and say Hi! -- Online Dev Chat

DiscK

• Founder
  • Bigger on the Inside.
« Reply #35 on: November 03, 2013, 06:26:57 pm »
When I saw the title I thought :
(attachment)

Can I destroy a planet by destroying its star?
« Last Edit: November 03, 2013, 06:28:37 pm by DiscK »
"430rhgq3wr0g8hwroeihremaontweoittitsuoefaoinbrigroarg"
- Anonymous

Commander Jackson

• Founder
  • Lazy dev E.M.T.
  • Ex astris, scientia
« Reply #36 on: November 03, 2013, 06:34:48 pm »
(attachment)

That's exactly what I was thinking!  Where do you get these pictures?!?!?!
Gabe has a wraith? That explains so much.

DiscK

• Founder
  • Bigger on the Inside.
« Reply #37 on: November 16, 2013, 12:45:08 am »
(attachment)

That's exactly what I was thinking!  Where do you get these pictures?!?!?!
I drew them all by myself
- Anonymous

Sigma

• Founder
« Reply #38 on: December 06, 2013, 10:59:23 pm »
I'm intrigued as to how planets will be like, will they house different kinds of atmospheres? different gravities for different planet masses?

Has there been any talk on prefabs and blocks that could be used on planets? Pre-fabs like mech legs, wheels, and tank caterpillar treads and maybe blocks that, when powered hover a meter (one block) off the ground, allowing hover vehicles. Planets with higher gravity would require hover blocks o use more power to keep the craft, that would be heavier under the higher gravity, to hover. Also bombs.

Hover blocks in particular could allow things like space ships and fighters that otherwise couldn't land on the surface to instead hover above the surface.

If any or all of this was added, then a player could make a space to ground force that would allow for many interesting concepts. Like spacecraft that could be used as oceanic vessels on a planet, or be converted into mobile bases. space fighters that could double as hover tanks. Basically instead of building separate land units and taking time to build bases, a player could (if they wanted) make all of their space craft capable of surface operation.

Getting some units back into space would be another issue though, I imagine there will be an escape velocity for planets, varying on their size. A larger space ship might have to have multiple boosters fitted on it to lift it back into space.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2013, 11:03:36 pm by Sigma »

Iago

• Founder
« Reply #39 on: December 07, 2013, 03:24:06 am »
I guess that would fix the problem with wheels...

DiscK

• Founder
  • Bigger on the Inside.
« Reply #40 on: December 21, 2013, 01:25:39 pm »
I'm intrigued as to how planets will be like, will they house different kinds of atmospheres? different gravities for different planet masses?

Has there been any talk on prefabs and blocks that could be used on planets? Pre-fabs like mech legs, wheels, and tank caterpillar treads and maybe blocks that, when powered hover a meter (one block) off the ground, allowing hover vehicles. Planets with higher gravity would require hover blocks o use more power to keep the craft, that would be heavier under the higher gravity, to hover. Also bombs.

Hover blocks in particular could allow things like space ships and fighters that otherwise couldn't land on the surface to instead hover above the surface.

If any or all of this was added, then a player could make a space to ground force that would allow for many interesting concepts. Like spacecraft that could be used as oceanic vessels on a planet, or be converted into mobile bases. space fighters that could double as hover tanks. Basically instead of building separate land units and taking time to build bases, a player could (if they wanted) make all of their space craft capable of surface operation.

Getting some units back into space would be another issue though, I imagine there will be an escape velocity for planets, varying on their size. A larger space ship might have to have multiple boosters fitted on it to lift it back into space.
Or it could stay in orbit and only beam down/ beam up cargo/people
- Anonymous

Iago

• Founder
« Reply #41 on: May 30, 2014, 02:44:13 pm »
Bump

But how will bunkers get any use whatsoever? Why have a bunker when you can easily blast large chunks off planets with even basic weaponry?

Me2005

• Founder
  • Contributor
« Reply #42 on: May 30, 2014, 03:19:37 pm »
Bump

But how will bunkers get any use whatsoever? Why have a bunker when you can easily blast large chunks off planets with even basic weaponry?

Because basic weapons probably won't blow large chunks out of planets? Earth is a cheap way to provide loads of protection; dig down a few dozen meters and you've likely got more mass between you and your opponent than any starcraft can afford to mount.
But you were dead a thousand times. Hopeless encounters successfully won. A man long dead, grafted to machines your builders did not understand. You follow the path, fitting into an infinite pattern. Yours to manipulate, to create and rebuild.

I know who you are.

You are destiny.

Aaron

• BR Developer
  • Creative Director, ZanMgt
  • Available on the IRC from 9:00am to 5:00pm (EST)
    • http://www.zanmgt.com
« Reply #43 on: May 30, 2014, 09:40:53 pm »
We're hazy on the exact reasoning's for making bases on planets atm... it'll probably be more to aid in mining operations than anything else for a little while.
Stop by the IRC and say Hi! -- Online Dev Chat

Iago

• Founder
« Reply #44 on: May 31, 2014, 07:40:36 am »
Yeah, I also thought that it would be easier to build large reactors to power giant anti space guns. But still, maybe there should be a "Shield" multiblock structure that can be modified to shield from space?