Author Topic: Planetary Combat  (Read 10198 times)

Zerebo

• Super Moderator
Planetary Combat
« on: January 20, 2012, 03:11:33 pm »
This thread is for discussions and ideas regarding planetary combat.
That can be stuff like:
-Ground structures: Shields, orbital weapons, AA guns, bunkers...
-Bombarding from orbit
-Landing operations

Jono

• Founder
Re: Planetary Combat
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2012, 03:44:42 pm »
Quote from: Straight Raider
In order for orbital bombardment to work we might have to add a fine-aim mode that allows you to make extremely minute adjustments to your weapons. This would also make longer-range space combat much easier.

I'd say a zoom feature would work; the more you zoom, the more precise you can aim.

W.Wolf

• Founder
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2012, 03:51:46 pm »
Certainly be interesting for there to be something on the surface of planets.  Especially stuff that can shoot back.  I would imagine a planetary based weapon system would be significantly more powerful than anything that could be built on a ship.  Though for the sake of the developers sanity it would probably be best for now at least to limit it to just space stations in orbit around planets.

mamastoast

• Founder
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2012, 05:50:59 pm »
Hmm.. im interesting in seeing how orbital strikes would work... As far as I understand the devs are planning to do planets that, as you approach generates a minecraft like world? If that is the case, I wonder how precisely it will able to calculate an attack from space without being really demanding on your computer

MrVorgra

• Founder
  • RAWR!
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2012, 06:20:06 pm »
Im guessing that it would act like a huge map with longitude and latitude
Real Men drive vehicles without knowing how fast they are moving or how much fuel remains in the tank.

mamastoast

• Founder
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2012, 09:07:38 pm »
oh yea sure, im just more thinking, if they want a seamless transition from space to planet (which I believe they do) having planetary attacks having to detect collision that far might cause some issues, I dunno, im not a programmer :P

Cy83r

• Founder
  • It's Shooowtime!
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2012, 10:32:18 pm »
it shouldn't be too hard to turn a spherical plane into lat/lon coordinates and then translate the weapon's characteristics into the MC simulation groundside and allow the weapon to execute its fall, applying a visual representation of damage on the orbit-vision map.
Jibreel: Yeah but [Hufer] that's like [Axis] complaining that his Toyota Camry is stuck in the mud and you responding "Well my M1 Abrams doesn't seem to be having much trouble."

[ZanMgt]Gabriel

• BR Developer
  • Lord Ruler, Gamer, Programmer, Spy
    • www.zanmgt.com
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2012, 10:48:10 am »
Cy83r has it right, translating an orbital strike onto the planet will not be difficult. And it shouldn't lag any more then if you fired a Plasma Cannon.
"a programmer is an intermediary that converts sugar and caffeine into code"

Cy83r

• Founder
  • It's Shooowtime!
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2012, 02:04:59 pm »
the question is though: what the groundside height limit?

the reason for asking is merely to understand what sort of orbital interdiction measure will be viable, because if the ceiling is too low we'll be looking at Super-railguns for arty-type area saturation rather than pinpoint orbital denial and be relying mainly on missiles and interceptor/bombers
Jibreel: Yeah but [Hufer] that's like [Axis] complaining that his Toyota Camry is stuck in the mud and you responding "Well my M1 Abrams doesn't seem to be having much trouble."

SnowDragon

• First to use a Sigpic!
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2012, 04:23:15 pm »
Planets are really big gents, like really big. When you think about it, they're probably bigger 1:1 than most playing sectors of space in most any space game I can think of for surface area, and a danger zone around the planet (IE, getting too close, falling into it's gravity well and dying horribly) Extends out some 140 kilometres. This is great for in game, because (Excluding a really large number of people) Everyone can go to one planet, pick a spot that hasn't been tried yet and find minerals there.

Me2005

• Founder
  • Contributor
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2012, 04:50:48 pm »
Planets are really big gents, like really big. ... and a danger zone around the planet (IE, getting too close, falling into it's gravity well and dying horribly) Extends out some 140 kilometres...

So no pin-point attacks then?

In playing KSP recently and perusing their threads, I've read some interesting questions on orbital bombardment. One of the solutions was that you actually are more easily able to hit the planet if you fire directly opposite your orbital vector (so if you're orbiting this O^  and that arrow is you, you'd fire the way the arrow is not pointing at same rate you were orbiting to hit the spot on the ground between your ship and the planet's center of gravity) than if you fire straight at the planet ( like so O<).  :o
But you were dead a thousand times. Hopeless encounters successfully won. A man long dead, grafted to machines your builders did not understand. You follow the path, fitting into an infinite pattern. Yours to manipulate, to create and rebuild.

I know who you are.

You are destiny.

CmndrMarcsBirger

• Founder
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2012, 05:42:50 pm »
"Stand by Ion controll..."

The idea of planetary conquest is one of the greatest features this game will have but I'm a little concerned about the Dev's wanting to have actual 1:1 scale planets...

Heres what I believe to be a good idea on how planets would appear in space and how to enter them:

Instead of a 1:1 scale monster floating in space, make it a SPRITE with a certain size that gives the optical illusion of it being HUGE. Once you get close enough a message should appear giving you the option to enter its atmosphere/orbit. Once accepted you are taken in to a different zone separate from the original playing field (Like entering the Nether in Mine Craft) which could either be in atmosphere or low orbit (so the possibility of slagging it from above is possible). From there the map should start loading the terrain.

DEFCON

• Skipper
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2012, 05:53:34 pm »
The idea of planetary conquest is one of the greatest features this game will have but I'm a little concerned about the Dev's wanting to have actual 1:1 scale planets...

I think the official stance of the devs was "1:1 round planets will be in the game", later softened to "we'd like 1:1 round planets to be in the game, unless gameplay considerations force otherwise". I am openly sceptical of how this could work, assuming the planet would be made of destructible pieces. It probably requires some very heavyweight procedural generation seamlessly on several LODs.

Hyperion

• Founder
  • SnowDragon's Lackey
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2012, 05:56:02 pm »
I stll support that the planet be non-voxelized geometry, and if you shot at it with a kinetic weapon it would leave a nice crater in the ground, and if you fired an energy weapon it would scorch and/or melt the terrain.
I don't want to go "Oh! there's shots going my way! No big deal I'm the U.S.S Bloody Massive, It won't even leave a scratch." *boom* "SHIT! BIG DEAL! HUGE DEAL!"

Me2005

• Founder
  • Contributor
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2012, 06:28:38 pm »
I stll support that the planet be non-voxelized geometry, and if you shot at it with a kinetic weapon it would leave a nice crater in the ground, and if you fired an energy weapon it would scorch and/or melt the terrain.

I'm all for this also.

...make it a SPRITE with a certain size that gives the optical illusion of it being HUGE...

...and I think that by sprite, you mean object (this isn't DOOM, and we'll be flying around near these things...). A textured-sphere works much better in 3d than an image when you've got to animate it and have players on different sides orbiting it.
But you were dead a thousand times. Hopeless encounters successfully won. A man long dead, grafted to machines your builders did not understand. You follow the path, fitting into an infinite pattern. Yours to manipulate, to create and rebuild.

I know who you are.

You are destiny.