Author Topic: Abandoned Cruisers  (Read 17110 times)

ASTRO-0

• Skipper
  • Hi
Re: Abandoned Cruisers
« Reply #60 on: November 29, 2013, 07:54:22 am »
That would be amazing... :o
Why must we fight...because we know no better.
Space the final...erm forgot
If I don't know the name of something,someone or a place then its place holder will be Dave.

elijahpederson

• Founder
  • Matter matters
« Reply #61 on: July 27, 2014, 12:37:27 pm »
Am I the only one thinking about capturing these space zombies and unleashing them on an unsuspecting mining colony for my twisted amusement  ::)
Step 1: Obtain zombie virus. Step 2: Find prosperious trading station. Step 3: Unleash zombies onto trading station. Step 4: Get heavy weaponry. Step 5: Loot 'n' shoot

Thadius Faran

• Founder
  • Old Veteran
    • 301st Corp
« Reply #62 on: July 30, 2014, 05:14:44 pm »
NECROMANCY!!!!

If your going to use military force you ought to use overwhelming military force. All war is immoral and if you let that bother you your not a good soldier.

Commander Jackson

• Founder
  • Lazy dev E.M.T.
  • Ex astris, scientia
« Reply #63 on: July 30, 2014, 10:25:09 pm »

Step 1: Obtain zombie virus. Step 2: Find prosperious trading station. Step 3: Unleash zombies onto trading station. Step 4: Get heavy weaponry. Step 5: Loot 'n' shoot
NECROMANCY!!!!

When you say "necromancy" are you referring to the actions mentioned in the above post or the post itself?
Gabe has a wraith? That explains so much.

Aaron

• BR Developer
  • Creative Director, ZanMgt
  • Available on the IRC from 9:00am to 5:00pm (EST)
    • http://www.zanmgt.com
« Reply #64 on: July 31, 2014, 02:53:33 pm »
All of them. O.O
Stop by the IRC and say Hi! -- Online Dev Chat

sirdabalot

• Founder
« Reply #65 on: August 21, 2014, 01:19:23 pm »
I really like the scenario depicted in the OP. The only request that I'd have is that some ships would have some kind of diagnostics console that you'd fix first, then you'd get various other information like "hull leak in section 5b" and "O2 scrubber - offline" flashing in red. Yes I love flashing lights and sirens...

EDIT: Oh yeah, and if the ship hasn't got a diagnostics console, perhaps your own ships scanners could have a diagnostics mode? Just throwin' it out there.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 06:23:09 am by sirdabalot »

MrVorgra

• Founder
  • RAWR!
« Reply #66 on: September 28, 2014, 06:53:12 pm »
I think one can be forgiven in the current situation of the forum, though once the forum begins to pick up again; necromancy should be questioned.
Real Men drive vehicles without knowing how fast they are moving or how much fuel remains in the tank.

Aaron

• BR Developer
  • Creative Director, ZanMgt
  • Available on the IRC from 9:00am to 5:00pm (EST)
    • http://www.zanmgt.com
« Reply #67 on: September 30, 2014, 03:56:50 pm »
Yeah I might need to put these boards into the archive section as well. =P
Stop by the IRC and say Hi! -- Online Dev Chat

Cy83r

• Founder
  • It's Shooowtime!
« Reply #68 on: September 30, 2014, 09:08:31 pm »
In the AI thread, which I think is still in the founders section, everyone gave me a neat idea.  There was a proposition for really simplified RNGs to establish how groups of ships fight each other and get damaged/destroyed without running a full cubic simulation as if a player were observing.  You can take that same idea and turn it into a, more or less, shipping and pirate tracker that runs these simplified skirmishes when pirates run over NPC freighters.  Any ships crippled/destroyed then become instances that players can stumble onto by luck or with good equipment and would create sections of space that are known to be heavily traveled, protected, and fought over where you can find large amounts of cheap space junk scattered about at the risk of running into pirates/scavs, an unfriendly fleet, or a trigger-happy merchant.

I mean random generation is fine and dandy, but if you can directly correlate these things with an actual biosphere in the game, it can provide a lot more depth and reuse a system that you or the mods have already sunk man-hours into- that is, since it seems like mods will at least try to make such a thing possible judging by the other thread.
Jibreel: Yeah but [Hufer] that's like [Axis] complaining that his Toyota Camry is stuck in the mud and you responding "Well my M1 Abrams doesn't seem to be having much trouble."

Me2005

• Founder
  • Contributor
« Reply #69 on: October 01, 2014, 07:31:51 pm »
I mean random generation is fine and dandy, but if you can directly correlate these things with an actual biosphere in the game, it can provide a lot more depth and reuse a system that you or the mods have already sunk man-hours into- that is, since it seems like mods will at least try to make such a thing possible judging by the other thread.

This is more easily done by actually running the game during a battle between pirates and cargo vessels (or whatever), then scanning the resulting damaged vessel as a new vessel that may sometimes spawn on its own. Do it many times over several 'localities' (ship classes typical to certain areas) and you've got a very real-feeling random encounter generator with nearly 0% overhead processing required.
But you were dead a thousand times. Hopeless encounters successfully won. A man long dead, grafted to machines your builders did not understand. You follow the path, fitting into an infinite pattern. Yours to manipulate, to create and rebuild.

I know who you are.

You are destiny.

Cy83r

• Founder
  • It's Shooowtime!
« Reply #70 on: October 02, 2014, 10:59:38 am »
That sounds like a lot of processor power, wouldn't it less intensive on the overhead to have a low-level subroutine running in the background than adding an extra full combat simulation for each and every spawn?  I suppose it depends on what sort of server you're on if they have the resources to load that sort of thing, but that method can't be good for single computer systems, like single-player.
Jibreel: Yeah but [Hufer] that's like [Axis] complaining that his Toyota Camry is stuck in the mud and you responding "Well my M1 Abrams doesn't seem to be having much trouble."

Me2005

• Founder
  • Contributor
« Reply #71 on: October 02, 2014, 03:24:31 pm »
That sounds like a lot of processor power, wouldn't it less intensive on the overhead to have a low-level subroutine running in the background than adding an extra full combat simulation for each and every spawn?

You'd do the simulating beforehand. So for every ship you want to have a derelict of, you'd first fight it and scan the result, saving it somewhere that these things are saved. Then you'd setup a system for adding the derelict ships to systems that type of ship would normally inhabit.

In order to be procedural, it'd need to be that the ships were assigned to some faction initially, and thus systems generated as owned by certain systems would have more of those ships. Boarders with other factions would have more derelicts from battle than non-boarders; though there might be some super-rare battle-or-mysteriously damaged ghost ships that spawn in/around core worlds. Then the systems would have an economic value, and that would determine how much activity there is and what kind (mining, shipping, passenger travel). High value systems with little faction strength would have more pirates, and thus, more derelicts. High value boarder systems would have more derelicts. Moderate-to-Low value systems with lots of pirates would have more derelicts.

Bam-pow, 2 numbers per system (or 5, if you use one each for which government, how strong, strength in each economic type), a few numbers assigned to redesigned ships (faction affiliation, ship type, economic type, odds of being derelict at any time, maybe free-spiritedness, though that might be better left as a faction thing), and you've got a system for generating derelicts reasonably realistically.
But you were dead a thousand times. Hopeless encounters successfully won. A man long dead, grafted to machines your builders did not understand. You follow the path, fitting into an infinite pattern. Yours to manipulate, to create and rebuild.

I know who you are.

You are destiny.

Cy83r

• Founder
  • It's Shooowtime!
« Reply #72 on: October 02, 2014, 06:26:53 pm »
One damage model per ship? (is that per aggressor ship?)  I would figure something similar to the way procedural asteroid generation is done, with tweaking to provide for a variety of weapon impact marks (but that depends on how unique the damage each weapon leaves is, so that's in the air), would be easier and provide some variety to the hulks to explore.

Me2005

• Founder
  • Contributor
« Reply #73 on: October 03, 2014, 11:15:00 am »
One damage model per ship? (is that per aggressor ship?)  I would figure something similar to the way procedural asteroid generation is done, with tweaking to provide for a variety of weapon impact marks (but that depends on how unique the damage each weapon leaves is, so that's in the air), would be easier and provide some variety to the hulks to explore.

You could easily make as many damaged models per ship as you wanted, providing you've got hard drive storage for them all. I'd say one *disabled* model per ship, 2-4 for ships that would frequently be targeted/disabled but aren't that interesting, few more than that for more interesting ships, plus a few unique 'encounter' type models for very interesting ships that are trapped/infested/etc.

I know who you are.

You are destiny.

Cy83r

• Founder
  • It's Shooowtime!
« Reply #74 on: October 03, 2014, 04:41:38 pm »
But still, you have to generate the things first, store them, and then load them; it just seems so... front-loaded.