Author Topic: Abandoned Cruisers  (Read 10648 times)

SnowDragon

• First to use a Sigpic!
Re: Abandoned Cruisers
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2012, 07:13:57 pm »
"It could fly off into deep space and hit someone in ten thousand years!"

Right now, I'm imagining a dead ship blown miles of course just plowing into your ship like a goddamned asteroid.

The Wolf

• Founder
  • Confucius say when crap hits fan wear raincoat
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2012, 07:19:09 pm »
Getting hit by an abandoned space freighter would be a really bad day  :o

But since were talking about abandoned ships what about deserted space stations as well. Why not have abandoned mining platforms, or long deserted military outposts from a faction that no longer exists.

SnowDragon

• First to use a Sigpic!
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2012, 07:21:00 pm »
With some lone survivor who went nuts and shoots at anything that moves.

The Wolf

• Founder
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2012, 07:27:16 pm »
Yes but only if he has a necklace made of ears  :P

Matz05

• Founder
  • Diabolical Genius
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2012, 07:29:19 pm »
Ears?
Posted By Alaric on 28 Jun 2011 04:54 PM
...it doesn't matter, I making space ships!

Me2005

• Founder
  • Contributor
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2012, 07:29:48 pm »
I don't think all abandoned ships would necessarily be in orbit. There could be abandoned ships that are still powered on a runaway course because the crew lost control, or a wrecked ship floating off to wherever as the result of a space battle or collision with something.
Getting hit by an abandoned space freighter would be a really bad day  :o

But since were talking about abandoned ships what about deserted space stations as well. Why not have abandoned mining platforms, or long deserted military outposts from a faction that no longer exists.

I think you've seen the error of your ways. I'm all for abandoned (insert thing here); it should probably be heavily damaged and stationary/in orbit though, otherwise you'll never find it and it'll be a drain on system resources for something you'll never see (the comp. has to plot a course for that runaway SH that the player hasn't found and is lightyears away from...).
But you were dead a thousand times. Hopeless encounters successfully won. A man long dead, grafted to machines your builders did not understand. You follow the path, fitting into an infinite pattern. Yours to manipulate, to create and rebuild.

I know who you are.

You are destiny.

Matz05

• Founder
  • Diabolical Genius
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2012, 07:33:14 pm »
Yeah, we can assume that all the runaways got captured by something or other and either orbited or crashed.

A planet in an area with a lot of space hazards WITHOUT their own gravity could be expected to have more wrecks on it...
Posted By Alaric on 28 Jun 2011 04:54 PM
...it doesn't matter, I making space ships!

SnowDragon

• First to use a Sigpic!
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2012, 07:34:26 pm »
Not so much a drain on system power. It doesn;'t have to be actually running away until the player encounters it, so you could code it in as a random encounter upon entering a new sector of space. Miss it on it's flight path (Which would be slow to increase chances of pickup) And it's gone into cybernetic oblivion.

Me2005

• Founder
  • Contributor
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2012, 07:38:36 pm »
Not so much a drain on system power. It doesn;'t have to be actually running away until the player encounters it, so you could code it in as a random encounter upon entering a new sector of space. Miss it on it's flight path (Which would be slow to increase chances of pickup) And it's gone into cybernetic oblivion.

Space being so huge though, you're not likely to find a ship on a random encounter and programming them in is a waste IMO. Especially when most players should be FTLing between planets/stations/etc, and such wrecks would be in orbit if they were that close to a planet.
But you were dead a thousand times. Hopeless encounters successfully won. A man long dead, grafted to machines your builders did not understand. You follow the path, fitting into an infinite pattern. Yours to manipulate, to create and rebuild.

I know who you are.

You are destiny.

The Wolf

• Founder
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2012, 07:45:07 pm »
That's the whole point Me2005 why should it always be easy to find. If every abandoned thing was in orbit of something it would be relatively easy loot (minus the space pirates, aliens, crazy people, etc etc). I have no problem with an abandoned object being stationary, and you're probably right that the game might not be able to handle these things flying about, I would just prefer to have them scattered randomly, or even be the result of other players abandoning projects for whatever reason.

SnowDragon

• First to use a Sigpic!
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2012, 07:47:00 pm »
Hell, I might leave a frigate stuffed to the brim with explosives just to watch someone stumble into it, only to get blasted into the next galaxy so I can nick their shit.

Migratory

• Starhopper
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2012, 07:55:14 pm »
I think it is important to have some ships in deep space/solar orbit, because most places of interest are in orbit around planets. Because they are proceduraly generated, they cause no load until you find them. I imagine that people would find them by FTLing to some open space and doing a long range sensor scan. If you find one you go to it, if you don't you FTL somewhere else and try again.

The Wolf

• Founder
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2012, 07:57:46 pm »
Hell, I might leave a frigate stuffed to the brim with explosives just to watch someone stumble into it, only to get blasted into the next galaxy so I can nick their shit.

You read my mind, I'm totally going to make ships just to booby trap them to get their stuff

Me2005

• Founder
  • Contributor
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2012, 07:57:56 pm »
That's the whole point Me2005 why should it always be easy to find. If every abandoned thing was in orbit of something it would be relatively easy loot (minus the space pirates, aliens, crazy people, etc etc). I have no problem with an abandoned object being stationary, and you're probably right that the game might not be able to handle these things flying about, I would just prefer to have them scattered randomly, or even be the result of other players abandoning projects for whatever reason.

I still think they should be rare and random; I just don't think they should be in the middle of open space. Maybe they should even be near backwater, otherwise worthless planets/moons (no ability to refuel); but still not in open space.

I know who you are.

You are destiny.

The Wolf

• Founder
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2012, 08:02:02 pm »
I totally agree they should be rate unless you have lots of players who abandoned their ships for various reasons and those would probably be clustered in fairly visited areas. But I don't see why can't have the odd abandoned ship out in the middle of nowhere. The incentive to find these ships could be that they carry ridiculous amounts of wealth making them an Easter egg of sorts. Something that you have to be very lucky to find