Author Topic: Abandoned Cruisers  (Read 12101 times)

tom1499

• Spacer
Abandoned Cruisers
« on: January 12, 2012, 07:23:14 am »
I think abandoned cruiser's would be awesome.For example;being able to board an old cruiser,drifting in space,with wires hanging from the ceiling and dark corridors.When you reach the bridge you'd have to power up the ship,by travelling through the eerie med bay and the overgrown Arboretum to the engine room.You do a bit of welding and suddenly the engines jump to life and roar ear-deafeningly.All the lights flicker to life and you hear fans go as life support comes online.The advantages of this is you could gather fuel and ammo or,in multiplayer,another ship to your fleet. 

MrVorgra

• Founder
  • RAWR!
Re: Abandoned Cruisers
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2012, 07:49:07 am »
yes and there would be that many short Circuiting that you would probably fry everyone in the ship
Real Men drive vehicles without knowing how fast they are moving or how much fuel remains in the tank.

Rocket Fiend

• Founder
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2012, 10:11:13 am »
Bit of a downer, aren't you Vorgra? ;]

I love the idea of being able to board derelict ships. Depending on the route BR takes, having that kind of random encounter would be excellent. Especially as a resource and tech gathering option.

There was an older game (Escape Velocity) that had such random encounters. Though, more often than not, the derelict ship had been left there by pirates as a trap. Once boarded their fleets would jump into the system and engage you.
So long, chumps!

Me2005

• Founder
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2012, 12:29:13 pm »
Bit of a downer, aren't you Vorgra? ;]

I love the idea of being able to board derelict ships. Depending on the route BR takes, having that kind of random encounter would be excellent. Especially as a resource and tech gathering option.

There was an older game (Escape Velocity) that had such random encounters. Though, more often than not, the derelict ship had been left there by pirates as a trap. Once boarded their fleets would jump into the system and engage you.

Escape Velocity rocks. Did you play NOVA or just classic?

Derelict ships should definitely exist, but not be limited to just one class.
But you were dead a thousand times. Hopeless encounters successfully won. A man long dead, grafted to machines your builders did not understand. You follow the path, fitting into an infinite pattern. Yours to manipulate, to create and rebuild.

I know who you are.

You are destiny.

The Wolf

• Founder
  • Confucius say when crap hits fan wear raincoat
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2012, 12:33:16 pm »
I'd love to see this in the game. Especially if its all different types of ships in different states of decay. You might luck out and find a fairly intact ship that you could scrap or repair and use for yourself. Or find something blasted to pieces and only good for target practice.

theallmightybob

• Founder
  • Sleep is for the weak.
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2012, 12:34:25 pm »
I think we could even take this futher and have randomly generated ship grave yards. They would be great places to salavge old parts.
would you buy a toaster shaped like an f22 with an eject button on it? cause thats what i'm going for.

The Wolf

• Founder
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2012, 12:36:15 pm »
Or ambush other players to steal their ships  ;D

theallmightybob

• Founder
  • Sleep is for the weak.
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2012, 12:48:18 pm »
Yeah but I want more then one sorce for the stock at "crazy bobs discount engine parts and reactor emporium" that and ship grave yards would be a good place for pirate bases.
would you buy a toaster shaped like an f22 with an eject button on it? cause thats what i'm going for.

Rocket Fiend

• Founder
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2012, 02:10:15 pm »

Escape Velocity rocks. Did you play NOVA or just classic?

Derelict ships should definitely exist, but not be limited to just one class.

I played (and still play) every Escape Velocity I could get my hands on. (EV, EVO, and EVN.) All of them hold a special place in my heart, still. Haha. I wish someone would make a multiplayer version, somehow.

I agree about the classes, it should be all manner of derelict ships.
So long, chumps!

Zerebo

• Super Moderator
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2012, 04:37:16 pm »
Well you could make even a gamemode (or better mod) out of it:  ;)
Quote from: Viken
Me and Zerebo were talking about stuff in the IRC when we came across this nifty idea.

"SPACE DUNGEON" (MP):
Various settings controlled by the Dungeon Master/Horror Master (as dubbed by Zerebo), where the DM builds a ship, spacestation, or whatever and customizes it with traps, hidden objectives... just about anything under the sun.  The other players then have to escape, or die.  Flickering lights, slamming doors, and hidous traps are a must!

Also, it would prove to be a nice way to make custom-created Quests and notable locales in-game. Haha.

But abandoned ships are a must. Great places for some fun quests, fighting or just looting.

Me2005

• Founder
  • Contributor
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2012, 05:02:19 pm »
Well you could make even a gamemode (or better mod) out of it:  ;)
Quote from: Viken
Me and Zerebo were talking about stuff in the IRC when we came across this nifty idea.

"SPACE DUNGEON" (MP):
Various settings controlled by the Dungeon Master/Horror Master (as dubbed by Zerebo), where the DM builds a ship, spacestation, or whatever and customizes it with traps, hidden objectives... just about anything under the sun.  The other players then have to escape, or die.  Flickering lights, slamming doors, and hidous traps are a must!

Also, it would prove to be a nice way to make custom-created Quests and notable locales in-game. Haha.

But abandoned ships are a must. Great places for some fun quests, fighting or just looting.

Sounds like Space hulk.

I played (and still play) every Escape Velocity I could get my hands on. (EV, EVO, and EVN.) All of them hold a special place in my heart, still. Haha. I wish someone would make a multiplayer version, somehow.

Sadly, Matt Burch has said (repeatedly) that there won't be an MP/3d version of the game. If I knew how to program, I'd give it a go- the series is probably one of my all-time favorite game titles. The complexities involved in an MP version would be a blast to try to tackle (how do you deal with captured planets? Player-piracy? Governments?)... Well, that's another topic for another day (or the EV dev forums...).
But you were dead a thousand times. Hopeless encounters successfully won. A man long dead, grafted to machines your builders did not understand. You follow the path, fitting into an infinite pattern. Yours to manipulate, to create and rebuild.

I know who you are.

You are destiny.

Cruxador

• Founder
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2012, 06:24:20 pm »
Yeah, we need abandoned ships and space hulks. I agree with Vorgra's implication that refurbishing one safely should be a non-trivial endeavor, but hacking off bits that look like they work and taking them to your own ship should be easy. Of course, we don't have things like warp demons and genestealers to populate these with. We need to figure out why a ruined ship would be drifting around unclaimed, and hazardous creatures and situations to make claiming it more than a case of "free money!".

Zerebo

• Super Moderator
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2012, 06:40:27 pm »
Yeah one of the problems with X. Finding the position of an abandoned ship gives you more money then 10 hours of trading with a cheap frighter. Most of the time it isn't even dangerous.
Made you feel really stupid for even trying to make at the start money any other way.

So yes abandonned ships should be dangerous and not only free money.
There could be stuff like:
-Pirates claiming that ship
-Whoever lost that ship trying to salvage it
-Space anomalys and dangerous places like black holes, deadly nebulas, ships close to a star, fast asteroid fields
-Space plants that are hard to remove, sitting on every system and making the ship unusable (could even fight back)
-Ships with still working security and security bots. (Crazy A.I.?!)

Me2005

• Founder
  • Contributor
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2012, 06:54:22 pm »
Yeah, we need abandoned ships and space hulks. I agree with Vorgra's implication that refurbishing one safely should be a non-trivial endeavor, but hacking off bits that look like they work and taking them to your own ship should be easy. Of course, we don't have things like warp demons and genestealers to populate these with. We need to figure out why a ruined ship would be drifting around unclaimed, and hazardous creatures and situations to make claiming it more than a case of "free money!".

Putting hostile aliens on a ship would be easy enough; but my reasoning for why ships would be abandoned is simple: Someone shot up some critical system, and the ship limped/crashed into an orbit. Or the ship was busted up after entering orbit; my feeling is that all combat will occur in/near orbits of larger structures/planets. Think the Andromeda - it was caught in a gravity well and (almost) everyone abandoned ship. Or some idiot captain ran them out of fuel/propellant/energy and they were in orbit in a place where there wasn't any fuel to be had (for the engines, reactors, or the FTL drive), so everyone died a slow, horrible death. Since fuel is a huge majority of the mass of a ship IRL, it's unlikely you're carrying enough to refuel a ship unless it's much smaller than your own (or unless the dev's bend the rules and make it so you don't need to carry 1/2 or more of your ship's mass in fuel; which would be reasonable for orbital maneuvers). Making the ships only appear in areas where fuel is hard to obtain would make it very difficult to salvage any large ship. Especially if you allow 'radiation damage' to all the critical electronics and maybe even the main reactor/FTL drive.

My question for the depth here is one I've had before -how much are we expecting this game to be an in-depth FPS and how much an in-depth "build-your-own-spaceship" sandbox? We've had lots of discussions about FPS-esque aspects to the game, but I'm not sure that it'll be that in-depth. If we're lucky, we'll get 'build-your-own-weapons' and transporters for boarding actions. I'd like to see derelicts because they'll add flavor, but making them into a game of their own isn't really likely to happen until way down the road.

I know who you are.

You are destiny.

The Wolf

• Founder
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2012, 07:08:21 pm »
I don't think all abandoned ships would necessarily be in orbit. There could be abandoned ships that are still powered on a runaway course because the crew lost control, or a wrecked ship floating off to wherever as the result of a space battle or collision with something.

Also what about automated ships that never had a crew in the first place and either lost power or had some sort of navigational error