Author Topic: All the small ideas (to make the game better/more fun)  (Read 10551 times)

Zerebo

• Super Moderator
All the small ideas (to make the game better/more fun)
« on: January 07, 2012, 09:19:53 am »
So this is a thread for stuff that could make the current version better.
Just post stuff that sounds at least easy to implement into one of the next versions.

Here some of my ideas:
-2 Inertia off options. One for translation and one for rotation.
So I can drift trough space but don't start spinning like crazy when moving the mouse.
-Rotational inertia or anything that makes rotation more realistic and slower.
-Third person camera
You can already have some kind of 3rd person camera with the remote control but I would like to have one that I can pan and zoom around my ship.
Would be great for videos/pictures and just flying around and admire your ship.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2012, 06:51:38 pm by Zerebo »

Me2005

• Founder
  • Contributor
Re: All the small things
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2012, 01:27:22 pm »
So this is a thread for stuff that could make the current version better.
Just post stuff that sounds at least easy to implement into one of the next versions.

Here some of my ideas:
-2 Inertia off options. One for translation and one for rotation.
So I can drift trough space but don't start spinning like crazy when moving the mouse.
-Rotational inertia or anything that makes rotation more realistic and slower.
-Third person camera
You can already have some kind of 3rd person camera with the remote control but I would like to have one that I can pan and zoom around my ship.
Would be great for videos/pictures and just flying around and admire your ship.

Rotation doesn't have to be slow to be realistic; it's possible (likely) that the thrusters are just way overpowered when used for turning. Being able to designate which thrusters you'd like to fire for which maneuvers (going forward/up/down/sideways, turning, etc) would help with that.
But you were dead a thousand times. Hopeless encounters successfully won. A man long dead, grafted to machines your builders did not understand. You follow the path, fitting into an infinite pattern. Yours to manipulate, to create and rebuild.

I know who you are.

You are destiny.

Zerebo

• Super Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2012, 04:31:11 pm »
Something just feels weird with rotation now. Mass and mass center got an impact but not the the mass distribution.
But it doesn't matter anymore, I just read this one from Gabriel:
There will be two types of inertia in BR, one for rotation, and one for movement. Rotational inertia is extremely hard to deal with in space. Therefor there will be many forms of Rotational Inertia Dampening (Stabilizers). Momentum Inertia however can be extremely useful. So we will have less forms of Momentum Inertial Dampening (Space Brakes ^^), but it will be in.

That should take care of weird rotation.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 04:32:51 pm by Zerebo »

The Wolf

• Founder
  • Confucius say when crap hits fan wear raincoat
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2012, 05:30:59 pm »
I actually don't mind how ships rotate right now......maybe I'm just weird  :P

One thing I would like to see though is an option where you can clear away all the ships at once rather then having to fly over and remove each one individually.

Strait Raider

• It's "Strait", as in the body of water.
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2012, 06:35:29 pm »
One thing I would like to see though is an option where you can clear away all the ships at once rather then having to fly over and remove each one individually.

1) Build giant space gun
2) Load Giant space gun
3) Shoot other entities
4) Delete Giant Space Gun

And there you go, all without going on an EVA.

Additionally, I'm really glad that rotation is being addressed. It really bugged me how twitchy the ships were without apparent inertial effects. That and being able to turn off dampening and spin a ship like a top. You look at it and you know the forces involved would shred the real thing instantly.

Niwantaw

• Founder
  • Eternal Skipper O.Q
  • Grille'd
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2012, 11:22:08 am »

1) Build giant space gun
2) Load Giant space gun
3) Shoot other entities
4) Delete Giant Space Gun

And there you go, all without going on an EVA.

Additionally, I'm really glad that rotation is being addressed. It really bugged me how twitchy the ships were without apparent inertial effects. That and being able to turn off dampening and spin a ship like a top. You look at it and you know the forces involved would shred the real thing instantly.

... I won't mention the inability to destroy plasma guns...
"God damnit why does everything have to be in sweedish? I don't understand shit"-Davee

<Strait_Raider> "The Big 4 could be equipped with a Bren gun or a 3 inch mortar..."
<Strait_Raider>That's like... my two favorite things.
     Put together.
     That's like... Kate Upton in a Tiger

Zerebo

• Super Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2012, 02:11:26 pm »
[...]
This and/or the ability to save the whole galaxy. So you can actually arange your ships and reoload when you screwed something. (For videos, pixtures, sharing your "map")

SnowDragon

• First to use a Sigpic!
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2012, 07:38:47 pm »
I want to be there when the first newbie builds a frigate and tries to pull a 180 turn in it at full speed and shears his ship clean in two.

No offence, newbies.

Me2005

• Founder
  • Contributor
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2012, 07:41:35 pm »
I want to be there when the first newbie builds a frigate and tries to pull a 180 turn in it at full speed and shears his ship clean in two.

No offence, newbies.

Pulling a 180 at full velocity (besides "full speed/velocity" not making sense in space) wouldn't do anything to your ship. You could be going 100,000,000 mph and turn on any axis all you wanted. You might find your ship tearing itself apart from centripetal/centrifugal force, or if you hit something at the above speed you'd be incinerated instantly.
But you were dead a thousand times. Hopeless encounters successfully won. A man long dead, grafted to machines your builders did not understand. You follow the path, fitting into an infinite pattern. Yours to manipulate, to create and rebuild.

I know who you are.

You are destiny.

Matz05

• Founder
  • Diabolical Genius
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2012, 03:30:57 pm »
Perhaps he means full thruster throttle -- no stress safties.
Posted By Alaric on 28 Jun 2011 04:54 PM
...it doesn't matter, I making space ships!

Me2005

• Founder
  • Contributor
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2012, 05:43:02 pm »
Perhaps he means full thruster throttle -- no stress safties.

You could be going full-thrust in any direction and turn as much as you wanted too. Now, if you had multiple huge engines that were capable of tearing your ship apart, that'd be a different thing (large retro's that fire at the same time as your main ripping your pylons off).

I know who you are.

You are destiny.

Matz05

• Founder
  • Diabolical Genius
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2012, 05:16:13 pm »
Wouldn't the shock of firing edge-mounted manoeuvring thrusters at full blast bend or break the struts they are on?
Posted By Alaric on 28 Jun 2011 04:54 PM
...it doesn't matter, I making space ships!

Zerebo

• Super Moderator
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2012, 08:34:17 pm »
Could we please go back to the topic.

Cruxador

• Founder
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2012, 06:23:48 pm »
I reckon stress safeties should be in place by default on the console/computer system that one starts with, to be removed by hacking minigame or just turned off by more experienced and less risk-averse players.
Wouldn't the shock of firing edge-mounted manoeuvring thrusters at full blast bend or break the struts they are on?
Depends on the power of the thrusters relative to the strength of the struts. Ideally it shouldn't be a problem unless you decide to get real crazy.
Could we please go back to the topic.
The topic is "all the small things". We are currently discussing a small thing.

Hyperion

• Founder
  • SnowDragon's Lackey
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2012, 06:37:51 pm »
So this might not be a small issue, but it is one that has been bugging me for some time. Assuming we will be able to build structures on planets, what do you think Zanmgt will do about rendering the ground?
I think they could render the ground smoothly and have us dig square holes to make it compatable with voxels. Or they could put the structures on a flat foundation.
I don't want to go "Oh! there's shots going my way! No big deal I'm the U.S.S Bloody Massive, It won't even leave a scratch." *boom* "SHIT! BIG DEAL! HUGE DEAL!"