Author Topic: My fist submission  (Read 1002 times)

VengantMjolnir

• Founder
  • Contributor
My fist submission
« on: January 02, 2012, 07:31:09 pm »
Well, I've been lurking on the forums for a while now and enjoying all the creations I've seen. I have been reluctant to actually finish much since I knew shipyard tools were on the way. Still, I did start a small ship and I'm pretty much done the hull design. I figured since the shipyard tools/editor were getting very close to being released, I would show off the one ship I made by hand first.

It started out as an attempt to create a multi-deck ship that borrowed heavily from a star destroyer. However it didn't take long before I found myself adding things like wings and fins( yes! fins like the kind you'd see on a 50's car. ) Nothing really resonated with me until I made it longer and added shallow wings. Next I rounded out the rear of the ship and took a step back. Turns out, I'd basically made a scale model of the Destiny. Oops! Still, I liked the look of it and it still had a bit of the star destroyer in the central core.

So, here it is, let me know what you think of it. The interior consists of three decks. Access to the ship is through an open cargo door on the very bottom of the vessel, from there a pair of ladders ascend from the cargo deck up to the engineering bay. A wall divides the front half of the main deck from the engineering section while another pair of ladders lead to a small half deck above the reactor( a big ol' mess of batteries for now. ) The main deck is pretty bare but could be subdivided into sections quite easily. The interior of the wings is set aside for fuel for the reactor.

Balance wise its pretty decent. Going forward or backwards is quite snappy and controllable with only a tiny drift in the 'up' direction. However, it doesn't do lateral travel or spin properly. I decided to leave the engine layout the way it was for now until the game is more complete.

The ship also doesn't have much in the way of armaments yet. A single 'turret' is mounted on the top section and fires forward. I also left this until we saw more of the custom geometry stuff and the animated blocks. I originally wanted the ship to have one main cannon along its spine and a few smaller turrets. We'll see where that goes as the game matures. As for defenses I had envisioned the ship being protected primarily by shields. Its large reactor should provide enough energy for a very large shield system( represented by the vents in the top tower at the moment. ) The shields coupled with its large rear engines should allow it to make some effective hit and run attacks.

The Wolf

• Founder
  • Confucius say when crap hits fan wear raincoat
    • My YouTube Channel
Re: My fist submission
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2012, 09:25:35 pm »
Nice job on your first submission, can't wait to see what else you got when we finally get some editing tools

Davee

• Founder
  • Pew-pew!
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2012, 06:47:58 am »
That looks great - especially as a first submission! And with the expansion tools coming with the editor; you shouldn't have any trouble getting it to 1:1 scale if you would want to do that. :D

FFLionheart

• Founder
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2012, 06:42:03 pm »
Sleek design, I really like the style you've gone for. Nice one!  :)
If at first you don't succeed, you're doing about average