Author Topic: Documentary of a 400m build  (Read 4921 times)

Hyperion

• Founder
  • SnowDragon's Lackey
Re: Documentary of a 400m build
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2011, 06:20:13 pm »
The Hades Gamma is not planned to rival the Shedim Nist or the Sundered Heart. I don't have an overall plan for the Gamma, but the dimensions might end up near 900Lx300Wx200H.
The backstory for the ship is that it was built an expeditionary mining vessel for the colonization of the galaxy. After a good life hauling rocks around it went under a refit to prepare it for the Great War as a warship.

I'm refraining from even starting on the main hanger until we get ship tools, and I need to know how the sliding rail blocks are gonna work before I can plate the auxilliary hanger face. + Its got a trench. 8)

How do you host pictures?
I don't want to go "Oh! there's shots going my way! No big deal I'm the U.S.S Bloody Massive, It won't even leave a scratch." *boom* "SHIT! BIG DEAL! HUGE DEAL!"

Strait Raider

• It's "Strait", as in the body of water.
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2011, 06:32:43 pm »
I use imageshack. It's free to make an account, 5 megapixel limit per picture, not sure what the upper limit on uploads is with the free account.

This is the new home of the 'Bonus pictures', i.e. extra pictures that I take are going here so that the main sequence loads faster for people.

Day 3 bonus pic: Design documents as of the start of the build. Very professional, complete and technical.  :P
Spoiler

Day 4 bonus pics: Semi-orthographic views. Kind of wish I had done this when it was all simple frame, so you could get a real feel for the lines of the ship.
Spoiler

Ship Scale

Week 2 Bonus: Shelled .brd file. Someone please tell me if this DL link works. 48 Mb
« Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 10:07:52 pm by Strait Raider »

Niwantaw

• Founder
  • Eternal Skipper O.Q
  • Grille'd
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2011, 06:48:04 pm »
I use image shack as well.

Although I need some decent recording software so I can make videos :/
"God damnit why does everything have to be in sweedish? I don't understand shit"-Davee

<Strait_Raider> "The Big 4 could be equipped with a Bren gun or a 3 inch mortar..."
<Strait_Raider>That's like... my two favorite things.
     Put together.
     That's like... Kate Upton in a Tiger

Hyperion

• Founder
  • SnowDragon's Lackey
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2011, 06:50:37 pm »
The cross section of the auxilliary hanger

There is a really long pole that you can't see behind the hanger. What you can see is actually 70m long

The port side gundeck

The auxilliary hanger still has to be extended 130m forward, while the bridge will be located a little ways behind the aux hanger, and the main hanger will be 130m or so behind the aux hanger.

I feel I didn't armor it correctly, ONE plasma shot in the right location will bore straight through the ship. :o
I need to put backers in to absorb those kinds of shots, what kind of block do you sugest for that?
« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 06:52:50 pm by AmberWolf »
I don't want to go "Oh! there's shots going my way! No big deal I'm the U.S.S Bloody Massive, It won't even leave a scratch." *boom* "SHIT! BIG DEAL! HUGE DEAL!"

Niwantaw

• Founder
  • Eternal Skipper O.Q
  • Grille'd
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2011, 07:18:40 pm »
use a layer of air then a layer of heavy plating like:
]= heavy plating
0= Air
1=frame

(ship interior)[1]0[1] (space)

I suggest you make your own thread for any other questions
"God damnit why does everything have to be in sweedish? I don't understand shit"-Davee

<Strait_Raider> "The Big 4 could be equipped with a Bren gun or a 3 inch mortar..."
     Put together.

MrVorgra

• Founder
  • RAWR!
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2011, 07:23:47 pm »
Yeah plasma will alway bore through if it hits the right angle (usually diagonals) Ill love it if they can fix it.
Real Men drive vehicles without knowing how fast they are moving or how much fuel remains in the tank.

Niwantaw

• Founder
  • Eternal Skipper O.Q
  • Grille'd
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2011, 07:26:31 pm »
Yeah plasma will alway bore through if it hits the right angle (usually diagonals) Ill love it if they can fix it.
Lay your armour out like a chess board:
0=air
1= armour

layer 1     layer 2
010         101
101         010
010         101

100% plasma proof. But I sure as hell not doing it on the shedim.

Put together.

The Wolf

• Founder
  • Confucius say when crap hits fan wear raincoat
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2011, 07:35:33 pm »
@ niwantaw I just use Free Screen Recorder to record anything off my desktop and then edit it using Adobe Premier. You can get Premier for free off Torrentz.com if you don't have an editing program.

Strait Raider

« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2011, 10:10:19 pm »
Updated: She's all shelled! Main sequence pics still on page 1, and I've uploaded the .brd at the top of page 2 if anyone wants to take a tour, or just wants something new to shoot at. She's sitting at over 7000 tons structural aluminum, which makes her 218,849 blocks total.

Hyperion

• Founder
  • SnowDragon's Lackey
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2011, 10:55:39 pm »
Just downloaded the ship, found the file and read it just fine.

A little laggy though..
« Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 11:02:29 pm by AmberWolf »

Imperius146

• Founder
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2011, 05:35:33 pm »
Hey strait raider,

Re: our challenge

In 3 more days i will be finished plating the OUTER hull of my ship. The inner hull will take 12 days. The internal structures/decks and such are all plated and done. Engines are finished, but will need to be added to when im done plating. its goign to be well over 2 million mass i believe and its sluggish now. So in general, im going to put in weapons next. its a frickin borg cube, indestructable, so it will be big weaponry. so i'll be done by end of this month, how about you? all your plating and systems going to be done hehe?

Strait Raider

« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2011, 12:15:54 pm »
I quit about a week ago to play Battlefield 3 with TacticalGamer. You win. :D

I did make the ship operational before I left, but as I was spending ~ 3 hours to make one main engine I realized that it was in no way worth my time when I'd probably have to strip it out in the end anyway. :P

• Founder
« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2011, 02:24:16 pm »
erm, this is just amazing, wow! i cant belive you built all tha twith just clicking and individual blocks! great work, and keep it up (hope your ship becomes some imperial ship for a nation)

Strait Raider

« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2011, 04:29:38 pm »
Thanks for your support!

To be fair though, once I was about half done plating it I figured out how to get my macros to work so not ALL the clicking was done by hand.

I filled in the MAC rail with 2x2x200 plasma weapons for testing purposes. It's great fun (except of course for being able to cut the ship apart due to the way plasma weapons currently work) but because the maximum range of plasma weapons right now seems to be about 500 meters, it only has maximum power out to about 300 meters in front of the ship. Within this range though, it will punch through anything. Including diagonally through the Starbroken, THEN all the way through Outpost Beta. I have added a 'manual aiming station' directly beside the main gun which aids greatly in getting the weapon on target.

I've also added 22 8x8x16 maneuvering engines in the front section and one of the 50x50x100 main engines at the back. After completing this engine and realizing it was larger than many of the ships currently in-game, I realized that I was spending way too much time for not enough gain. Additionally the massive increase in thrusters has made control incredibly twitchy and I suspect the mass will need to be quadrupled before it regains a semblance of composure. Nevermind that we don't know what finished engines will be yet, I'll likely wind up tearing the current engines out in the future.

I am also concerned with the lag that is produced by the sheer size of the ship and weapon system. Unless the engine is very heavily optimized in the future I fear that ships like the Burgundy, let alone the SH and SN, will become little more than spectacle pieces, incapable of entering combat without lagging out or crashing the game.

Niwantaw

• Founder
  • Eternal Skipper O.Q
  • Grille'd
« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2011, 04:43:21 pm »
the SH and SN, will become little more than spectacle pieces, incapable of entering combat without lagging out or crashing the game.

The SN would become more of a super weapon...

Random person 1:"We're losing the fight damnit"
Random person 2:" Deploy the Shedim Nist"
Me: *loads save file*
Server owner: "Noes!"
*explosion as the server computer detonates*
Me: "I win ^^"

Put together.