I thought I would sequentially detail my build, to show newcomers what goes into one of these ships and also (since I am one of those newcomers) to open myself up to the larger community's advice, comments and critiques.
This is my first ship. I decided to start big, I figure this is a project I can chip away at a few hours at a time, since multiplayer is a ways in the future yet.
Hull Dimensions are L-W-H 400-200-140 and the shape is loosely based on the star-destroyer design philosophy of narrowing to a point to allow the most guns to be brought to bear forward while presenting a small target.
It was designed as a heavy destroyer for spearheading a destroyer flotilla, but when we see how large the average creation winds up being I can see it being moved into the cruiser role, which shouldn't be much of a problem.
Current working project title is Burgundy.
Yes, I know it rhymes with Normandy and they're both regions in France. Didn't actually occur to me when I chose it, but that's the title for now until inspiration strikes me.
Update: I have moved 'bonus pictures', i.e. pictures not in the main sequence to the second page so that these will load faster.
And now, the day-by day:
First day. Getting the hang of using the tools and realizing just how large even a 400m ship is.
One hour of drunken shipbuilding. Not much progress.
A lot of progress today. Big setback earlier when I discovered one of my previous measurements was off by 1 block. Unfortunately this offset the entire side of the ship, resulting in probably 80 tons of frame do-over.
Frame is complete, now beginning to fill in the outer shell. Interior framing for bridge area partially complete as well. The geometry is getting interesting in some areas of the fill, slowing progress a bit.
Today was quite the day. She's tripled in mass and the rear is almost fully shelled now. Toughest part now is going to be the four front-side double-angled sections. The rear were 1:1 and 2:1, so they were relatively easy to merge, but the front has 4:1 and 3:1 slopes.
Oh, and she's confirmed to be facing backwards ingame. Huzzah.
Also had some issues with taking screenshots tonight: they were coming out all white, not picking up the game until I turned off the Aero desktop. Now using no hud for glamor shots as well.
Progress majorly hampered today - my hands have gotten sore so I have to cut back on the work. I am unable to use macros for my keyboard and mouse ingame due to some stupid microsoft issue where you can't use the macros in a game if you run it with administrator privileges.
It's been a while since my last update. Haven't been working on her every day, due to school and general life taking some of my time. Also, caved in and started BF3 and FONV. They're shelved again for a while.
But THE SHIP! She is clothed! I got my macros working, thereby saving my hands from torture and managed to pump out a massive amount of shelling. I would estimate it took me 8 solid days working on her. As suspected, the 4 frontal double-angled slabs took almost a day's work each. I like the look of the finished product though, some very cool angles inside and out. I'll upload the file shortly if anyone wants to take a tour around her.