Author Topic: Improvised Windows  (Read 1342 times)

Rainman

• Founder
  • Loremaster
Improvised Windows
« on: November 07, 2011, 11:59:54 am »
While unplated frames are not transparent, they do have large "gaps" in them due to being, well, frames. At a distance, this simply makes a construction of frames look like a distinct shape with a spidery and ethereal texture, but when you're pressing your face right up to a frame block, you can see through it pretty well, especially if you get lucky with the randomized textures.

So, I suggest/ask: Why not use aluminum frames as improvised cockpit canopy/portholes? They won't be much use as large bay windows, and whatnot, true, but in the absence of anything else... Seems worth a shot!
SCIENCE!
...IN SPAAAAAAAACE!

mamastoast

• Founder
Re: Improvised Windows
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2011, 04:46:37 pm »
I guess, only major issue (besides them not actually being windows) is that you'll be able to see within the hull surrounding the "window".

This makes me wonder how they'll actually do glass though, seeing as, from what I understand, surfaces are painted on the frames sorta like invisible blocks with inverted textures, so if a glass "block" is placed in a hole, will we be able to have hull texture aswell?

Mr.Vorgra

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2011, 06:43:39 pm »
Well I got Windows, I just edited the frame-diffuse.dds file

MrVorgra

• Founder
  • RAWR!
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2011, 08:22:51 pm »
you need to keep the transparent part a opaque black it seems, sadly Paint.net won't let me see the exact color code :(
Real Men drive vehicles without knowing how fast they are moving or how much fuel remains in the tank.