Author Topic: Beam me up Scotty!  (Read 8330 times)

TarotDragoon

• Founder
Re: Beam me up Scotty!
« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2011, 09:59:15 am »
I don't want to use a lift to get from one end of my deathstar to the other.
Or always have to use a shuttle to get from one ship to the other.
Beaming on enemie ships? That is a question of balancing.
But beaming on your own ships should be possible. How much it costs is a balancing question.

build a faster lift  :P I certainly do, far more interesting and fun. would add a much more 'real' feeling to the ships you have to walk through, rather than the "'pop' oh now I'm in another ship that was.... fun...", I would honestly despise that. at the very least, sender/receiver transporters should only link up with with another keyed sender/receiver node.
Micah- Loving all the ships here Tarot!

PURPLE UNTO DEATH!!! (or maybe blue)

[ZanMgt]Gabriel

• BR Developer
  • Lord Ruler, Gamer, Programmer, Spy
    • www.zanmgt.com
« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2011, 10:20:41 am »
We have a few ideas for transporters that should render transporting at any time is... unwise shall we say? >:)

We will of course still have transporters (we have a few different styles of transporters too) but in general, if you got a shuttle, it might be smarter to take that.
"a programmer is an intermediary that converts sugar and caffeine into code"

Vesna

• Founder
  • First Space Lord
« Reply #32 on: September 24, 2011, 10:35:57 am »
Lets put it this way: transporter scramblers sound painful!

Also, for the jumping-to-a-coordinate FTL, it could be highly inaccurate if it hasn't had the proper warm up.
Founder of Kernow Shipyards, desinging and building your ships since 23.09.11

• Founder
« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2011, 10:38:17 am »
well, if its inside ship transporting, maybey, you would probarbly need a HUGE powersupply to run it, hence more useful on bigger ships

and as for "slipspace" FTL, you heard that at the large hadron colider they may have got an atom to move faster than light?
but the idea of having to wait for the drive to spin up, or warp gates would be better, so you cant just hop anywhere anytime. maybey even the idea like ELITE where you have to refule your slipspace/ hyperspace drive everytime you jump, or every few jumps

Matz05

• Founder
  • Diabolical Genius
« Reply #34 on: September 24, 2011, 06:55:11 pm »
I see transporting (or at least one method thereof) as "bumping" an object out of reality and slinging it in a direction at several times light speed (momentum in the realities being separate things), hoping that it "falls" back into our dimension correctly.

Beaming an object through something that also exists in that reality would be most... unwise... and slight miscalculations would be disastrous.

You would have to:
have sufficient energy to do this to an object of that mass
know the direction you are aiming at (and have to point a turret at it?)
know how far you have to go
know how fast your particular transporter sends things of that mass
know what duration of jump is necessary, taking the last two into account
lead your target because of the time it takes to cycle the transporter
fire the transporter and hope the object gets completely converted before it is launched
hope nothing interferes with it on the way ('natural' navigational hazards in the reality you shot through, or other reality-hopping tech)
hope it lands in gas or vacuum instead of telefragging
hope it even "lands" fully in our dimension (no pieces lost, etc.)
hope it is not harmed by its infinitesimal period in a fundamentally different reality. (didn't spontaneously transmute or distort, etc.)
This form of transporting is basically an external jumpdrive, and would probably be very difficult, requiring fast and well-programmed computers and possibly a skilled operator.

The simplest form of transporter would convert an object into some kind of energy field that can be confined, accelerated, and transmitted like a bolt from weapons/received with antennas; accepted by a specialized replicator as pattern and supplies.
Good for fast transport, bad for going where you are unwelcome (no beaming to a non-transporter target, an interval is allowed for the computer to accept/reject a pattern with basic information [signal strength, mass and, at higher tech levels, composition?]).
I can also see crafty players using these fields as a form of energy that is easy to transfer, using specialized devices to "swallow" the pattern and discard the structure, outputting some form of usable energy instead of the burst of HV static the base pattern is.
Superconductors would probably be necessary for this kind of transporter, as every amp you lose you have to replace, and the amount of energy in a pattern being astronomical for anything of significant mass/complexity.
A spread on the field when projected through space would both help aiming and increase power draw for long beamings: catching 20% of the field means you might be able to reconstruct it, but unless it was boosted at the source you need to supply the other 80% of energy. E=mc^2, so that will be painful. Such a weak signal, unboosted at the source, might still arrive corrupted anyway!
Moral: Put a good amplifier and power supply on your transporter if possible, and try not to beam too far. The receiving party can only compensate for a weak signal so much. Beaming from or to a man-portable, battery-powered system over any distance would probably result in injury if the other party didn't boost the signal. Small antenna = less of you arrives, small power supply = less replaced; unboosted transmitter = only 100% signal sent in the first place.
Posted By Alaric on 28 Jun 2011 04:54 PM
...it doesn't matter, I making space ships!

Jmanndriver

• Founder
  • Bigger is Better...
« Reply #35 on: September 24, 2011, 07:33:44 pm »
Too... Much.... FLUFF! Skim down your posts people, I don't want to or have time to read stuff this long. ^^^

Make your point quickly and efficiently.

Justen

"Quotes at the bottom of signatures are pointless. Just like this one."

- Unknown

Matz05

• Founder
  • Diabolical Genius
« Reply #36 on: September 24, 2011, 07:36:36 pm »
Less fluff, more mechanics details, really. I put a lot of  "somehow"s didn't I?
I just tried to show the basic hurdles a player could be subjected to for balance reasons from two kinds of transporters: a finicky, dangerous pad-to-site one and a simple, pad-to-pad one.

EliteASH_11

• Founder
  • Competition starter.
    • Steam
« Reply #37 on: September 24, 2011, 07:59:45 pm »
So much talk on FTL still...
This cutscene from halo ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9bhsReKbI8
Just add an expensive FTL option. Press something in your ship a GUI of the universe comes up click where you want to go, A "portal" opens and you go through it, its about a minute inside the "portal" and out you come somewhere near where you clicked. Dont make it 100% accurate, I want to see people crashing into planets due to FTL inaccuracy.

The portal: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFlSPtKVwn8&NR=1 ;)
« Last Edit: September 24, 2011, 08:10:45 pm by EliteASH_11 »
"That MAC gun can put a round clean through a Covenant Capital Ship."

Jenvo

• Founder
  • Oh, don't mind me...
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 24, 2011, 09:31:45 pm »
To be honest I really couldn't see teleporting to different parts of the same ship being implemented.

However as a universal means of boarding another ship/docking into a station, I believe some sort of teleportation should be considered. I can't see everyone having to make a docking bay that will fit to all stations.

On a slightly different tangent, if races are implemented, maybe different technologies would be in place. Maybe one race decides they like to use some kind of hydraulic system to attach to one of their docking bays, or have teleporters made from the same technology that will instantly recognize each other and link up. Other races may have to find a different way of docking into a foreign station, maybe by way of a small shuttle stored in the main ship that may be designed specifically to dock at a certain race's station.

Just throwing out ideas.

ruger392

• Founder
« Reply #39 on: September 24, 2011, 09:43:10 pm »
I personally like the idea of transporters. It's a good "futuristic space" piece of technology, seeing as you are atomizing things (I believe?), moving them to a point, then re-materializing them. The most trouble I could think you could cause with a transporter is (if tribbles are implemented) beaming a bunch of tribbles on board an enemy ship, trolling their face off when they find a thousand furry balls all over the place. Whenever they do this in Star Trek, it makes me laugh my head off.

Matz05

• Founder
  • Diabolical Genius
« Reply #40 on: September 24, 2011, 09:51:47 pm »
...now I have to breed explosive tribbles, too...

Rainman

• Founder
  • Loremaster
« Reply #41 on: September 25, 2011, 07:18:42 pm »
I think perhaps instead of easily-abused 'teleporters,' it should be possible to (have to physically) build and link static "jump gates," ala the Stargate franchise- ranging from simple walk-in-at-the-engine-bay-walk-out-at-the-forward-cannons type time saving devices, to massive ship gates capable of acting as waypoints for vessels, or, if large enough, whole fleets. Perhaps these Jump Gates can be built so that they either link to a specific other gate, a specific network of gates, or any similar-type gate within a certain range, with according advantages and disadvantages.

What are your thoughts, guys?
SCIENCE!
...IN SPAAAAAAAACE!

Jmanndriver

• Founder
  • Bigger is Better...
« Reply #42 on: September 25, 2011, 07:19:59 pm »
That would be useful if it was limited to short distances that require a lot of power so it would be limited to big stations or on planets. I don't think that has a place on medium sized ships.

- Unknown

Rainman

• Founder
  • Loremaster
« Reply #43 on: September 25, 2011, 07:24:27 pm »
Perhaps the distance that can be traveled through such a device would be related to its scale and power storage/output/whatever, so that the only way to build a powerful gate is to either make it too big to put on a ship or so that you would have to make your entire ship around the purpose of being a flying gate.
SCIENCE!
...IN SPAAAAAAAACE!

Jmanndriver

• Founder
  • Bigger is Better...
« Reply #44 on: September 25, 2011, 07:57:19 pm »
That is exactly what I mean =].

- Unknown