Author Topic: Beam me up Scotty!  (Read 7907 times)

EliteASH_11

• Founder
  • Competition starter.
    • Steam
Re: Beam me up Scotty!
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2011, 11:22:02 pm »
Slipspace drives! Pretty much just a way for faster than light travel. Using coordinates maybe?
"That MAC gun can put a round clean through a Covenant Capital Ship."

Jmanndriver

• Founder
  • Bigger is Better...
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2011, 11:50:49 pm »
Slipspace drives! Pretty much just a way for faster than light travel. Using coordinates maybe?

If you fly through a planet in slipspace or any matter for that you are dead.

"Quotes at the bottom of signatures are pointless. Just like this one."

- Unknown

EliteASH_11

• Founder
  • Competition starter.
    • Steam
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2011, 12:46:55 am »

If you fly through a planet in slipspace or any matter for that you are dead.

You play halo? Because I can only use that level on Halo 2 where the frigate uses slip space to get inside high charity. I think how slipspace works is it adds another dimension or something so they can travel through planets and stuff without dying.

EliteASH_11

• Founder
  • Competition starter.
    • Steam
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2011, 12:48:48 am »
My idea of abusing transporters is using the cheap matter/energy conversion and instant targeting to a point in 3D space to simply disintegrate stuff and dump it in a simple, but still telefragging form on my enemies. Possibly using other enemies as the source matter.

Do you mean the ability to be able to jump one ship into the exact same position as another and completly destroying both?

Jmanndriver

• Founder
  • Bigger is Better...
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2011, 12:51:40 am »
I have read many many books on slipspace. There are entire planets inside slipspace that you can run into if you aren't careful. If you get too close to big bodies, they use mass indicators in Ringworld, the gravity can mess with your slipspace stream and kill you. So if you run into it, well lets just say your fucked lol.

- Unknown

Matz05

• Founder
  • Diabolical Genius
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2011, 09:43:33 am »
My idea of abusing transporters is using the cheap matter/energy conversion and instant targeting to a point in 3D space to simply disintegrate stuff and dump it in a simple, but still telefragging form on my enemies. Possibly using other enemies as the source matter.

Do you mean the ability to be able to jump one ship into the exact same position as another and completly destroying both?

Yep.
Posted By Alaric on 28 Jun 2011 04:54 PM
...it doesn't matter, I making space ships!

Ilomestari

• Founder
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2011, 11:14:21 am »
FTL would be awesome, but easily gamebreaking. Also, heavy on the hardware if it would just be really-fast-movement...

...maybe a way to chart distances by pre-set coordinates (and in mp agree on sector ##-##-##)? Then use a "stargate-animation" in hyperspace :P~~

That. Would. Be. Awesome.

...and also easy to return to your homebase :D
Grand Admiral of the esteemed SS Finlandia

Zerebo

• Super Moderator
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2011, 11:22:20 am »
They plan to add different ways of ftl travel.
I'm sure instant travel or travel with some "hyperspace" animation is the best way for it.
There are also enough ways to balance it like:
-Jumping just to pre defined coordinates or into empty space
-Jump Scramblers
-Warnings that ships are incoming
etc...

Alaric

• Super Moderator
  • I making space ships!
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2011, 05:12:00 pm »
Could handle FTL kinda like Battlestar Galactica: need time to "spool up" the drive and it more-or-less instantaneously jumps to the destination. The warm-up time would cut down on abuse (not to mention having to determine destination coordinates, not just "go that way") and the jump animation would be easy on hardware.
<Czorio> The bittersweet embrace of the Alaric is the only embrace I'll ever know.
<Gabriel> Because Alaric robbed your pleasure...
<Aaron> I feel dirty. Alaric, pls hold me.
<Terah> I don't guess when it comes to you Alaric, I just assume you are always watching...

Jmanndriver

• Founder
  • Bigger is Better...
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2011, 06:51:45 pm »
I say that they have to have a corresponding gate to connect to. Depending on the security in place they may need a code or to crack a code in order to get into an enemy's gate.

It would be epic if we could crack a code to an enemy gate and swarm in and take over.

- Unknown

Matz05

• Founder
  • Diabolical Genius
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2011, 07:09:11 pm »
Depending how small FTL drives can be made...

Racks of jump drives that are targeted and powered for one jump by the mothership...

Hitscan. Missiles.

With a charge time...

EliteASH_11

• Founder
  • Competition starter.
    • Steam
« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2011, 08:10:39 pm »

Yep.

I think this should be allowed to be done, ships are expensive after all or will be once currency is added, so you're losing your own ship by doing this, it would be more a last resort thing.

Matz05

• Founder
  • Diabolical Genius
« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2011, 09:32:00 pm »
No, I mean beam chunks of enemy1's disabled ship into enemy2's ship!

Or just beam garbage at him as a primary form of attack. Lousy against most shields/energetic defences, pretty darn good against purely matter-based ones.

TarotDragoon

• Founder
« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2011, 09:24:13 am »
personally I hate the idea of transporters, it's what really turned me off Star-Trek, seems too stupid and implausible and if they do exist they should be MASSIVE arrays too big for all but the biggest starship and only able to transport inorganic matter and even that has a chance of going catastrophically wrong, one molecule out of place or 'read' wrong can turn a tin can into an antimatter nuclear device! FTL drives in all of their different forms should suffice if you ask me, especially the rings, I love hyperspace rings.
Micah- Loving all the ships here Tarot!

PURPLE UNTO DEATH!!! (or maybe blue)

Zerebo

• Super Moderator
« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2011, 09:49:24 am »
I don't want to use a lift to get from one end of my deathstar to the other.
Or always have to use a shuttle to get from one ship to the other.
Beaming on enemie ships? That is a question of balancing.
But beaming on your own ships should be possible. How much it costs is a balancing question.