Author Topic: Requesting Status Report 10/28/2016  (Read 1307 times)

Commander Jackson

• Founder
  • Lazy dev E.M.T.
  • Ex astris, scientia
Requesting Status Report 10/28/2016
« on: October 28, 2016, 05:14:37 pm »
I know I haven't really been very active on the forums lately but, devs, can we get a status report?

Do I need to demonstrate my skills in dev CPR again?
Gabe has a wraith? That explains so much.

MRC

• Founder
  • Knows dev CPR
  • Mental breakdown in progress...
Re: Requesting Status Report 10/28/2016
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2016, 12:33:22 am »
*Honk* *Honk* *Honk* *Honk*

*Stolen car ambulance crashes in*

Did I hear "DEV CPR"?...

...Perhaps I can be of assistance. I'm sure you heard of my excellent medical track record...

*fiddles with forum tag legitimate medical badge*

*Honk* *Honk*
With love.  ~MRC

Commander Jackson

• Founder
  • Lazy dev E.M.T.
  • Ex astris, scientia
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2016, 02:48:02 pm »
*Honk* *Honk* *Honk* *Honk*

*Stolen car ambulance crashes in*

Did I hear "DEV CPR"?...

...Perhaps I can be of assistance. I'm sure you heard of my excellent medical track record...

*fiddles with forum tag legitimate medical badge*

*Honk* *Honk*

Eh hem, don't post now but your post count is currently pi.
Gabe has a wraith? That explains so much.

MRC

• Founder
  • Knows dev CPR
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2016, 10:50:05 pm »
Eh hem, don't post now but your post count is currently pi.

Not anymore... I had to let it go before I grew too attached to it.

Goodbye pi-post, you will be missed.

...Until post 3141 (and 3142 should we allow rounding)
With love.  ~MRC

Aaron

• BR Developer
  • Creative Director, ZanMgt
  • Available on the IRC from 9:00am to 5:00pm (EST)
    • http://www.zanmgt.com
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2016, 10:18:36 pm »

Gotta make this brief(ish) and spewy, but the statii (plural statuses) are these in no particular order:

- Progress was slowed during the summer, but not stopped.

- Progress is about to be ramped up again; we're funded enough again to dedicate full time and have a new place to work from!

- The concept for Blockade Runner has morphed again and again, usually based on "what can actually be done on X budget with Y devs".

- Blockade Runner is a passion project, and we've gone through several bouts of "where do we take it?".  It's narrowing down to the "better bits".

- Every Zannite has been asked and given the chance to "move on".  We think we got something here and are chancing it, all six of us, together.

- We're funded enough to just make some art and see if it sticks.  Not aiming to be the next Minecraft here, just wanna innovate and say, "hey, atleast we tried!".

- We've been tempted several times to accept investment and hire a full crew, but have ultimately decided to keep Blockade Runner just the "six sibling's" project.  We could make a buck going the other way, but -- well shoot...  We'd just prefer to keep our own artistic license and make something really unique here.  Some of the stuff we've decided we really really want to try requires too much risk, and would likely get cut to keep an arbitrary schedule and target some generic audience.  Watched it happen to too many other indies, and just can't do it.  *Puts on le hipster cap.*

- We had considered making a separate game, "Star Yard" that would focus on ship building, but meh, it'd just make things confusing, cost too much time, and overall be lame.  Eye on the prize here.

- Majority of all progress so far has been deep level engine boring stuff.  Nothing pretty to look at it still.

- Our concentration is heavily towards R&D.  We want ships to do (X), so we R&D.  We want crew AI to do (Y), so we R&D.  We know we can do da grafex.  Every game can do even basic grafex.  We'll have basic grafex, but for now it's about how to make some crazy R&D-type things actually work.  Sorry, we're not interesting to look at atm.

- We're very happy with the way crew and combat would work.  Really different, engaging and fun.  Gotta get to the point where we can be running it live in MP though.

- We're very happy with the way players will design ships.  In general, it's very different than how it's been done by other games.

- Ship combat and ship design are the strong points with our concept for BR atm.

- We're still kind of lost on the galactic map.  In any incarnation conceived, its never "gelled" with the fun that was the ships themselves.  Still waiting for the right inspiration for it "click" with the rest of the game, but it's just something we haven't been able to spend enough time on.  Also, tough to budget, so for now gotta evolve it out slowly.

- VR has given us a lot more inspiration (and desire) for first person player elements.  It's just fun to dink around with things in VR, so first person elements might just be our playground with VR, and reason for branching it out at all.  Overall it's still just kind of feeling like it's there because it's there.

- Gabe's work on AI pathfinding has been really amazing.  I used to argue with him often about how we can't have crew on ships.  He made it so we can have crew on ships.

- Technology is catching up with vision.  We're developing off of i7 6700 beast machines (that we paid for, btw).  PC's have come far since we started on some old Dell Athlon X2's.

I think that's enough spew!  Got any questions, lemme know!  Gabe's on the IRC usually from 9-5, btw, so you can always you know... talk to us live.

Stop by the IRC and say Hi! -- Online Dev Chat

MRC

• Founder
  • Knows dev CPR
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2016, 12:58:48 am »
Good to have some news on the project.

Hopefully we'll get a more specific game plan at some point to lay out the changes.

As for questions... It's been quite a while since founders have been involved, and with all the apparent shifts happening across the board no doubt some of them affects the founder club. I'd like to know what are the current, updated views on founders and the roles (bug test, focus group, etc) they will play in the future.
With love.  ~MRC

Yolan

• Founder
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2016, 01:21:21 am »
Thanks for the update Aaron. Goodness, to think it's been six years already! But you know, I started my own indie game project at the beginning of 2014. Two years later I'm still working on it! And in fact I'm probably only a quarter of the way? done!
That's no moon!

Aaron

• BR Developer
  • Creative Director, ZanMgt
  • Available on the IRC from 9:00am to 5:00pm (EST)
    • http://www.zanmgt.com
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2016, 09:20:56 am »
Lol, yeah... I'd like to say time flies when you're having fun. I'll say that. ;D

We're just testing the old adage, "Good things come to those who wait.".
Stop by the IRC and say Hi! -- Online Dev Chat

JoshzPruitt

• Founder
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2016, 02:20:53 pm »
Still lurking faithfully and checking on progress every few months. Blockaderunner has become less of "a game I'd like to play" and more of "a project I'd love to see come to fruition", lol. At this point I'd love to see you guys finish it and be happy with it, however long that takes. :D
Happy deving!

Cy83r

• Founder
  • It's Shooowtime!
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2016, 12:38:42 pm »
ZANmgt VULT
Jibreel: Yeah but [Hufer] that's like [Axis] complaining that his Toyota Camry is stuck in the mud and you responding "Well my M1 Abrams doesn't seem to be having much trouble."

Alaric

• Super Moderator
  • I making space ships!
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2016, 03:06:42 pm »
Blockaderunner has become less of "a game I'd like to play" and more of "a project I'd love to see come to fruition", lol. At this point I'd love to see you guys finish it and be happy with it, however long that takes. :D

This perfectly sums up my attitude at this stage as well. Even from the beginning it felt more like a passion project instead of an attempt at the Next Big Video Game, and I liked that.

Of course, the Yesbot promises probably tapped into the latter desire from people, which was in hindsight unwise - especially that early. I think if Aaron can STICK TO HIS NEWS SCHEDULE that would allay a lot of concerns folks have about this going nowhere.
<Czorio> The bittersweet embrace of the Alaric is the only embrace I'll ever know.
<Gabriel> Because Alaric robbed your pleasure...
<Aaron> I feel dirty. Alaric, pls hold me.
<Terah> I don't guess when it comes to you Alaric, I just assume you are always watching...

kaptnkrunch

• Founder
  • Full Violocity ahead. With all violence and speed.
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2016, 05:53:13 pm »
How about that? Still under development! Amazing! Keep it up guys 😀

The faithful will return one day. The excitement and enthusiasm are still undimmed even after many years lol

Bladecatcher

• Founder
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2017, 04:36:10 pm »
Hey guys! Glad to see you all survived 2016, and are still chugging along, no less! Is there any way we could get a road map, or at least an idea of what you guys want to accomplish in 2017?

MonteCristo

• Founder
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2017, 08:34:01 pm »
So glad this is still in development.  Can't wait to see where it all ends up.