Author Topic: [Answered] Refunds?  (Read 2614 times)

epicguy4444

• Founder
[Answered] Refunds?
« on: December 28, 2015, 04:04:41 pm »
I don't understand why i can't request a refund, this game has been in development for way to long.... Back when i decided to buy the game, i thought it was a unique idea for once, then i actually realised the devs broke so many promises in the dev stage. They ran off with our money and have done nothing about this game.... When and if this game ever releases it will not be popular because so many people would think it's dead and so many people have basicly made games better then this but with the same prospect. It has been in development for way to long... I would like a refund for this crap....
« Last Edit: December 29, 2015, 10:33:03 pm by Aaron »

Strait Raider

• It's "Strait", as in the body of water.
Re: Refunds?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2015, 10:41:09 am »
This is the unfortunate reality of early access. There is no guarantee of a finished game at all. As it stands, the game IS still being developed. It has been progressing. Slower than any of us (least of all the devs) wanted to see, yes, but progressing.

When the first multiplayer version was released, ZanMgt realized that their existing game engine was not sufficient for the scope and quality of game that they had in mind. They made the conscious decision not to push forward and produce an inferior product (which, as a result of being Steam Greenlighted, still would have made a lot of capital) and have been essentially rewriting the game from scratch.

ZanMgt is not an established game company with reserves of capital. It is not feasible for them to provide refunds in the name of good public relations. Early access funding was not on its own sufficient to continue development. ZanMgt has periodically been carrying out contract work (which takes time away from development) in order to continue developing the game out-of-pocket.

Believe me, nobody is more frustrated with this than ZanMgt and the original backers, but if they'd just given up, published a half-baked game to Steam and abandoned it (as several indies have done), nobody would be getting their refunds or a good game. At least as it stands, there is still hope for a good game.

If you'd like to discuss this further, you can join us in the IRC. Gabriel is (usually) pretty busy working, but if you stick around, he or Aaron should be able to answer any questions you have.

Czorio

• Founder
  • Residential nutbag
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2015, 10:54:07 am »
(...) Back when i decided to buy the game (...)

When was this exactly?

Besides the fact that would have been at least over several months ago (what sane business would let you request a refund months or even years after purchase?), you knew exactly what you were getting into. Early Access means just that, Access to a game in development with no guarantees of it completing in the timeframe you would like to see, or even at all. Same with kickstarter, you are not entitled to anything, you are not investing, you are donating towards a goal you would like to see fulfilled.
"If you're in an equal fight, your tactics suck."

http://www.youtube.com/user/czorio4

Cy83r

• Founder
  • It's Shooowtime!
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2015, 08:33:18 pm »
I don't understand why i can't request a refund, this game has been in development for way to long.... Back when i decided to buy the game, i thought it was a unique idea for once, then i actually realised the devs broke so many promises in the dev stage. They ran off with our money and have done nothing about this game.... When and if this game ever releases it will not be popular because so many people would think it's dead and so many people have basicly made games better then this but with the same prospect. It has been in development for way to long... I would like a refund for this crap....
Welcome to the stock market, were you at least able to play the w70 era?
Jibreel: Yeah but [Hufer] that's like [Axis] complaining that his Toyota Camry is stuck in the mud and you responding "Well my M1 Abrams doesn't seem to be having much trouble."

Aaron

• BR Developer
  • Creative Director, ZanMgt
  • Available on the IRC from 9:00am to 5:00pm (EST)
    • http://www.zanmgt.com
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2015, 10:32:24 pm »
@epicguy4444

Due to the iterative, or "keep trying new things and see if they stick" style of development, there's very different views on what the game is depending on what version you're looking at.  Version W28 was its own kind of game, W51-71 was its own kind of game, W91 (never released) went in a Minecrafty direction that we were really no satisfied with.  The game we're making right now in 2016 is nothing like those versions.  It's aiming for a different market than we did back in 2011.

We're willing to accept our amateurish foibles and apologize for the stupidity, but we're far from done with Blockade Runner, and would ask that you remain constructive this year as we start putting new builds out again.  Lemme know if you have any questions Epic, and I'll try to answer them. =\

P.S. and just wondering... have you seen Micah's Unity Standalones at all?  Because it's just a taste of how we're not making W28.  Or W71.
Stop by the IRC and say Hi! -- Online Dev Chat

Alaric

• Super Moderator
  • I making space ships!
Re: [Answered] Refunds?
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2015, 01:04:18 am »
It's like Minecraft all over again...

What were the terms of your "purchase"? How long ago was your transaction, and how long do you expect any company to offer refunds for?

You said it yourself: "i thought it was a unique idea for once." It was just that - an idea. At no point to date has a release of Blockade Runner ever been more than a prototype or tech demo; you were putting your faith (and in this case, money) in a sales pitch. Reality intervenes & ideas must change to adapt. If you are uncomfortable taking a risk on a concept, then wait until there is something tangible (and acceptable in its current state) you would receive for your money. If this is your first time learning this lesson, be grateful it was only with $10. I got burned (on a different project) for well over an order of magnitude more than that.

In any case, ZanMgt certainly have not "ran off" with our money. If that were true, why would they keep up this very forum for us to complain about it, or continue to interact with the community, all while suspending sales? I don't think you understand just how long it takes to create a game, especially if the developers intend to pay attention to detail. We gamers have been spoiled with publisher-backed games being announced after the majority of the work had already been done, which has created a misconception of development times. And while I certainly can't speak for ZanMgt, I personally would rather have a well-polished game "done right" than a popular one by the time all is said and done.

ZanMgt are making a game based on their vision & passion; they're not out to make a quick buck or pump'n'dump the next fad. They have consistently taken the high road during the development process that ultimately would benefit their customers in the long run. Despite being tight-lipped about the nitty-gritty development details (their excuse for which is credible), they are leagues above tons of other indie devs out there in honesty, so I wouldn't be so quick to give up on Blockade Runner. I still don't see any competitors offering up quite the same "unique idea" that was pitched for BR.

...this is why we can't have nice things. Or in-development sales.
<Czorio> The bittersweet embrace of the Alaric is the only embrace I'll ever know.
<Gabriel> Because Alaric robbed your pleasure...
<Aaron> I feel dirty. Alaric, pls hold me.
<Terah> I don't guess when it comes to you Alaric, I just assume you are always watching...

Cy83r

• Founder
  • It's Shooowtime!
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2016, 03:45:35 pm »
Hence, my rude quip about being in stocks.

Honestly, though, the progress is good considering 1) we're going through an engine rebuild after catastrophic tech support failure; 2) we aren't even through the six-year bubble most games take to reach a proper pre-alpha "Early Release"; and 3) if you consider the Management as making two separate games under the same name and operating only on initial funding and personal accounts, progress is more than good, it's phenomenal.

This is the difference between being a speculator and a consumer, which is why the whole "Early Release" Market seems like such a boondoggle, most people assume themselves as consumers when the purchase is in reality a bet on future quality.
Jibreel: Yeah but [Hufer] that's like [Axis] complaining that his Toyota Camry is stuck in the mud and you responding "Well my M1 Abrams doesn't seem to be having much trouble."

iStormUK

• Founder
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2016, 05:09:08 pm »
@epicguy4444

Due to the iterative, or "keep trying new things and see if they stick" style of development, there's very different views on what the game is depending on what version you're looking at.  Version W28 was its own kind of game, W51-71 was its own kind of game, W91 (never released) went in a Minecrafty direction that we were really no satisfied with.  The game we're making right now in 2016 is nothing like those versions.  It's aiming for a different market than we did back in 2011.

We're willing to accept our amateurish foibles and apologize for the stupidity, but we're far from done with Blockade Runner, and would ask that you remain constructive this year as we start putting new builds out again.  Lemme know if you have any questions Epic, and I'll try to answer them. =\

P.S. and just wondering... have you seen Micah's Unity Standalones at all?  Because it's just a taste of how we're not making W28.  Or W71.
I've come back hoping to see some progress. And I'm grateful there are founder builds now. Though having read through some of the posts, particularly this one by Aaron, I think I know now why its taking so long. As they say, they've made several differing versions with different aims. Which does not give me much hopes of ever seeing this come to fruition.  One vision, one goal, then you can focus on achieving it.

Still, I'll be back in another year to check on progress. See y'all then :)

Aaron

• BR Developer
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2016, 05:16:56 pm »
@iStormUK

Hah.  Well, fair'nuff. ;D

Mind if I put you in a "plz check us out again :| ..." list?  Just in-case we're awesome again before next year. ;P

Bladecatcher

• Founder
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2016, 08:10:54 pm »
Is there any chance we'll ever see this w91 version, even if it was just a failed experiment? What could the player do in it, and what about it didn't you like?

Aaron

• BR Developer
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2016, 09:24:35 pm »
Hm.  Welp, I just did get an old XP PC all reformatted.  Might be worth a short to see if I can get old Visual Studio 2005 to work on it! :X

TeliUmbrarum

• Founder
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2016, 01:48:37 am »
I've seen cut and run devs. My Steam Library is ten percent aborted children of cut and run devs. I check back every few months and they're definitely working devs. Which is, as I implied before, a significant improvement on many devs whose projects I've previously backed.

Practically speaking though, it's pretty much a write off at this point. If you aren't interested in the dev process forget about it and maybe you'll get a game in a few years.