Author Topic: This Week's Development Update! (December 6th 2015)  (Read 5783 times)

Aaron

• BR Developer
  • Creative Director, ZanMgt
  • Available on the IRC from 9:00am to 5:00pm (EST)
    • http://www.zanmgt.com
This Week's Development Update! (December 6th 2015)
« on: December 06, 2015, 11:26:24 pm »
Progress report since the last update!

Major
- We Zannites have been doing contract work to make sure BR is self-funded throughout 2016!
- All six of us are done with contract work in January, where we're re-converging for full-time development.
- We will remain self funded indefinitely.  It's just gonna be the six of us, and you Founders until Release!

Minor
- Nathan's been working pretty much non-stop on the multiplayer/object crossover code and is almost finished.  This stuff defines BR!
- Gabe's been working pretty much non-stop on some amazing custom pathfinding evolved out of JPS.
- We've continued to tighten the game's concept, and will be looking for Founder input.
- We had a discussion on NDA's (Non-Disclosure Agreements) with Founders, and decided nah.

Fluff
- All* of our development machines have been upgraded!  We're packin' i7 4770k's+ , GTX 970's+, SSD's...
- Yes, the website is god-awful lookin'.  Aaron is learning Adobe Muse so Zack can stay on main engine with Nathan!
- We (Aaron) are [is] very interested in the HTC Vive.  Evangelizing da potential, man.

*Aaron's PC has not been upgraded.  Aaron's PC needed mouth-to-mouth.  Apologies for the e-mail tardiness!  :-X

Self-Funded

We'd been figuring out for a while now how we wanted to fund BR through ALL of 2016 (gotta feed six hungry devs!).  Ultimately, we just want to go forward self-funded, and were fortunate enough to have contract opportunities that wouldn't tie us away from development for more time than we needed.  With a little blood sweat and tears... we did it!  I mean, it's tight, but we're able to comfortably work on BR for at-least another year without no shaking of a pity jar!

We could resume an Early Access route, but I think we're done with the Early Access funding for BR.  Early Access has its place, and we're thankful for it being our beginnings and giving us the confidence to launch ourselves into the indiesphere, but really we're content with the investment we've received from our current Founder's and don't need anymore.  We want to be able to go forward with just you lot, focus on the craft of whittling out this game without worrying about the marketing, the merchandising, and the convincing people to part with their money.  Let's save the marketing and merchandising for when we're close to a final release, and work on making a fine piece of entertainment in the meantime.  :P

And before you ask, the contract work was IT-related thanks to some good friends!  ;)

Next Version (Beginning of new releases!)

Two things are needing to happen: 

1. Nathan has to test and make sure the multiplayer/object crossover is working properly.  Can't unleash the meaningful content until its done!
2. Zack has to finish re-organizing our build server that'll make updates easily available. (Literally, we build, it poops out download on site)

When will they happen?

1. It's close on Nathan's end, like real close.  Could be before end of December, but let's just say January as "safe".
2. January is when Zack's time is freed up better, but hey, pestering his PM here on the forums won't hurt. ;D

Short Answer:

We're looking at January.  :o

Edit -- Added the following for clarification:

What's the new version going to be like?

Buggy, glitchy, and almost entirely empty.  It's a foundation with lots 'under the hood' kinda stuff, but once we get the ball rolling with Zack's build server, we can push updates pretty much whenever we feel it's even somewhat stable.  Gotta think of it almost as the beginning of a whole new game, but on our hand-made engine.

Summary

We've provided ourself funds for BR so we don't have to ask for more moolahs.  Game is still in development, quietly being refined.  We just want to make awesomesauce with you guys and release a fine piece of entertainment.

We're deeply appreciative of your patience! (especially those who've been affected by Aaron's e-mail blackout!)

If y'all got any questions that haven't been answered, fire away!  Remember also that we've got a nifty IRC for pestering Gabe the von-devman, who's pretty much been on every day without fail for a good year now.  Stop on in and give us a poke!

- Aaron
« Last Edit: December 06, 2015, 11:51:26 pm by Aaron »
Stop by the IRC and say Hi! -- Online Dev Chat

Alaric

• Super Moderator
  • I making space ships!
Re: This Week's Development Update! (December 6th 2015)
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2015, 11:43:21 pm »
Y'all must be trippin'! An actual month ETA?

I'll still only believe it when I see it...

Glad to hear about the self-funding. If only you could have started out like that, there'd probably be less wailing and gnashing of teeth...

Now you get to revel in the thought of people just trying to throw money at you while you refuse to take it. 8)
<Czorio> The bittersweet embrace of the Alaric is the only embrace I'll ever know.
<Gabriel> Because Alaric robbed your pleasure...
<Aaron> I feel dirty. Alaric, pls hold me.
<Terah> I don't guess when it comes to you Alaric, I just assume you are always watching...

Aaron

• BR Developer
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2015, 11:52:05 pm »
Added a clarification so people don't go off the rails on yer hype train there Alaric.  ;)

What's the new version going to be like?

Buggy, glitchy, and almost entirely empty.  It's a foundation with lots 'under the hood' kinda stuff, but once we get the ball rolling with Zack's build server, we can push updates pretty much whenever we feel it's even somewhat stable.  Gotta think of it almost as the beginning of a whole new game, but on our hand-made engine.

Edit

Yes, I know it's my fault for not clarifying in the first place.  Forgive meeeee!!!   :'(
« Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 12:00:27 am by Aaron »

MRC

• Founder
  • Knows dev CPR
  • Mental breakdown in progress...
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2015, 12:24:17 am »
The Necromancy ritual was a success!

But no time for celebrations. I must go now, more people need my medical expertise!

*Smash out trough another window and runs off*
With love.  ~MRC

Commander Jackson

• Founder
  • Lazy dev E.M.T.
  • Ex astris, scientia
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2015, 12:56:13 am »
@MRC:
Praise MRC our necromantic savior!  She, who has resurrected Aarons computer!

-snip-

Will this build be for PC only?  I'm currently stuck using macs until I can get a new PC.
Gabe has a wraith? That explains so much.

Czorio

• Founder
  • Residential nutbag
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2015, 06:17:46 am »
Yes, BR runs on SharpDX, and unless Microsoft has suddenly open-sourced DirectX it will be Windows only.
"If you're in an equal fight, your tactics suck."

http://www.youtube.com/user/czorio4

Ace (SWE)

• Founder
  • Contributor
  • Coffe? Coffe!
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2015, 10:50:37 am »
I would still happily help write a GL-based renderer if BR provides an API for me to fill in. Heck, I probably wouldn't mind writing a GL renderer that implements the SharpDX interface to the point where BR can run on it.

Bladecatcher

• Founder
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2015, 08:13:29 pm »
I am very glad to hear that you guys are funding BR by yourselves. I've realized that Early Access really just encourages bad work ethics. Why put hard work and time into a game when you can get paid for making a half finished, sub-par product? I even suspect that some devs intentionally leave bugs in their games because they result in bizarre and ""hilarious"" encounters that get them more exposure on YouTube and Twitch.
Not you guys though. You're cool. You get it. You're legit. You're hip lingo. You can have my money.

Oh, and what's making you choose an HTC Vive over the Occulus Rift? I've been planning on getting a Rift because it'll likely be cheaper, but I could be swayed.

Alaric

• Super Moderator
  • I making space ships!
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2015, 10:03:16 am »
I would still happily help write a GL-based renderer if BR provides an API for me to fill in. Heck, I probably wouldn't mind writing a GL renderer that implements the SharpDX interface to the point where BR can run on it.

Have there been any efforts already undertaken to create a generic SharpDX compatibility layer? Some of the work may already be done!

I may not be able to assist much in the coding department but my Linux rig would happily volunteer for testing, should we reach a point where it seems feasible to pursue.

Oh, and what's making you choose an HTC Vive over the Occulus Rift? I've been planning on getting a Rift because it'll likely be cheaper, but I could be swayed.

I would hope that there is (or will be, once the industry matures) a universal API for the variety of VR systems out there, so that they would be more or less interchangeable. The last thing we need is another AMD-NVIDIA battle of proprietary standards, but for VR.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2015, 06:44:26 pm by Alaric »
<Czorio> The bittersweet embrace of the Alaric is the only embrace I'll ever know.
<Terah> I don't guess when it comes to you Alaric, I just assume you are always watching...

theallmightybob

• Founder
  • Sleep is for the weak.
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2015, 11:44:38 pm »
Yay a post! glad to seem some signs of life back, and good to hear you have to means to fund yourselves.
would you buy a toaster shaped like an f22 with an eject button on it? cause thats what i'm going for.

dracorotor

• Founder
  • I personalize my gun
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2015, 10:21:05 pm »
I wanna build something in the new engine. I haven't built anything in any game in months (Not counting fallout. That isn't really the same thing)
"'What the h**l are you doing you mother******s?!!11'
I Gasped it was................. Dumbledoor!!!1"

Aaron

• BR Developer
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2015, 10:23:04 pm »
Quote from: Bladecatcher
Oh, and what's making you choose an HTC Vive over the Occulus Rift?

The "room scale" 1:1 tracking provided by Valve's "Lighthouse" laser tech.

There's a lot of work that needs to go into the Vive, but I see that as it just being the equivelant "iPhone 1".  It works, but is mostly novelty and will be quickly succeeded by the equivalent "iPhone 2, iPhone 3, etc".  And really, I'm not partial to HTC.  If Occulus years from now were to use the Valves Lighthouse I'd still be a happy camper. ^.^

Quote from: Alaric
Have there been any efforts already undertaken to create a generic SharpDX compatibility layer? Some of the work may already be done!

I may not be able to assist much in the coding department but my Linux rig would happily volunteer for testing, should we reach a point where it seems feasible to pursue.

Not as of yet.  We're sticking to SharpDX (essentially DirectX in C#) and getting everything to work there first.  Unless we see a major development reason to port to OpenGL, we're sticking to what we know, and keeping our options open.

Gabe's told me about the great feats you've accomplished with your Linux rig!  I'm quite impressed... if we had to I wouldn't be opposed to a lengthy YouTube video showing Linux peeps how to run the game on it!  At the very least to run a server. xD

@theallmightybob

Thanks, it means a lot!

@dracorotor

^.^

Alaric

• Super Moderator
  • I making space ships!
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2015, 11:31:01 pm »
Re: SharpDX

I was more referring to efforts by third-parties to create a singular API, instead of relying on folks building one for every game/application; notthing related to BR specifically. A long shot, I realize...

Gabe's told me about the great feats you've accomplished with your Linux rig!  I'm quite impressed... if we had to I wouldn't be opposed to a lengthy YouTube video showing Linux peeps how to run the game on it!

Uh, KVM GPU passthrough is a bit overkill for running BR. And it's technically not even running "on Linux"; it's just a beefed-up Windows VM. I doubt a video guide (least of all one by me) would be preferable over the existing walkthroughs of setting up such a rig.

At the very least to run a server.

My servers are headless. Despite it being technically feasible, I would not even entertain an attempt to run the server within a VM (or even WINE, for that matter). Native servers (with no graphical dependencies at all) or bust.

MRC

• Founder
  • Knows dev CPR
  • Mental breakdown in progress...
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2016, 07:49:02 pm »
1. It's close on Nathan's end, like real close.  Could be before end of December, but let's just say January as "safe".
2. January is when Zack's time is freed up better, but hey, pestering his PM here on the forums won't hurt. ;D

We are entering the second half of January.

The pestering begins.
With love.  ~MRC

Aaron

• BR Developer
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2016, 08:25:31 pm »
Yeah, yeah, we're workin' on it.  Getting rid of the winter slog. ={

Dealing with a firewall issue atm that's preventing our build server from connecting to the Git server. Hoping to have it resolved, or begin commence a plan B! xD

Build server FYI is a sophisticated Rube Goldberg machine that will auto package dev builds for us, which means pretty much new builds any time Zack Gabe or Nafe feel like it.  No more middle men!