Author Topic: My random solution to slow space games. In one sentence.  (Read 4420 times)

Cy83r

• Founder
  • It's Shooowtime!
Re: My random solution to slow space games. In one sentence.
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2015, 03:55:17 pm »
Seriously I don't get the pressure argument, there's going to be a pressure differential that corresponds to earthlike pressures, literally several tens of miles thick, well before you hit the smashingly fiery autodeath zone of the cloudbanks.
Jibreel: Yeah but [Hufer] that's like [Axis] complaining that his Toyota Camry is stuck in the mud and you responding "Well my M1 Abrams doesn't seem to be having much trouble."

Me2005

• Founder
  • Contributor
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2015, 10:29:42 am »
Seriously I don't get the pressure argument, there's going to be a pressure differential that corresponds to earthlike pressures, literally several tens of miles thick, well before you hit the smashingly fiery autodeath zone of the cloudbanks.

Yes, there will be, but to use the whole planet effectively and get to the really bonkers stuff you'd need to go deeper than the earthlike-pressure zone.
But you were dead a thousand times. Hopeless encounters successfully won. A man long dead, grafted to machines your builders did not understand. You follow the path, fitting into an infinite pattern. Yours to manipulate, to create and rebuild.

I know who you are.

You are destiny.

MRC

• Founder
  • Knows dev CPR
  • Mental breakdown in progress...
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2015, 05:41:39 pm »
Funny enough, I would have assumed that the intense gravity of a gas giant would have caused the PSI measures to increase much more sharply than on earth; resulting in a earth-like pressure band only a few hundred meters thick.

Turns out the 'surface'(edge of the atmosphere) gravity of gas giants isn't intense to begin with. Jupiter is the only one with noticeably higher gravity at 24.8m/s2(2.5g), pretty weak considering it's 300 times more massive than earth. The others, Saturn Uranus and Neptune, have barely more surface gravity than earth. Hell, Uranus has less at 8.7m/s2(0.9g). Partly due to the surface being so far away from the superdense core.

This has interesting implications. First of, the earth-like pressure band is here and healthy, probably even thicker. Secondly I had assumed a crew of a gas-giant-airship would be at best reduced crawling around on the floor if they didn't get flat out crushed. Well nope, they'd be perfectly fine. No need for artificial gravity, or anti-gravity for that matter. It'd be just like walking on earth.
With love.  ~MRC

Cy83r

• Founder
  • It's Shooowtime!
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2015, 11:19:00 am »
Yes, there will be, but to use the whole planet effectively and get to the really bonkers stuff you'd need to go deeper than the earthlike-pressure zone.
One, the audience doesn't know that.  Two, we don't know that.  Three, should I find it sad that you don't find planetary bands of super-hurricane walls with eyes that could each easily hold its own Mother Earth safely within to be 'really bonkers'?  Four, that's not stopping the makers from moving the bonkers stuff around.

Funny enough, I would have assumed that the intense gravity of a gas giant would have caused the PSI measures to increase much more sharply than on earth; resulting in a earth-like pressure band only a few hundred meters thick.

Turns out the 'surface'(edge of the atmosphere) gravity of gas giants isn't intense to begin with. Jupiter is the only one with noticeably higher gravity at 24.8m/s2(2.5g), pretty weak considering it's 300 times more massive than earth. The others, Saturn Uranus and Neptune, have barely more surface gravity than earth. Hell, Uranus has less at 8.7m/s2(0.9g). Partly due to the surface being so far away from the superdense core.

This has interesting implications. First of, the earth-like pressure band is here and healthy, probably even thicker. Secondly I had assumed a crew of a gas-giant-airship would be at best reduced crawling around on the floor if they didn't get flat out crushed. Well nope, they'd be perfectly fine. No need for artificial gravity, or anti-gravity for that matter. It'd be just like walking on earth.
Yay, Research!  Plus with 2.5g to work with, all the character models get to be extremely swarthy, even the bent-backed old men who've been in Great Jove's grip so long that their bodies have started to fail early (they're 40).  Heck, you can even have space elves in the form of the aristocratic/plutocratic/technocratic tycoons and their elite servant castes from up on the Jovian Moons who swing by in fancy power-assisted suits and order the dregs around like they own them and their children (and they do).  And then there's the helldivers, the young boys who get augmented, geared up, and sent down to mine the metallic gasses that've compressed near the Jovian core- the smaller they are, the better chance they have of tolerating the pressure differential through their suits and fitting through the micro-sized hatches on the micro-sized bathysphere rigs that dip down with them.  And then there's the raiders, nobody likes the raiders, not even other raiders.
Jibreel: Yeah but [Hufer] that's like [Axis] complaining that his Toyota Camry is stuck in the mud and you responding "Well my M1 Abrams doesn't seem to be having much trouble."

Me2005

• Founder
  • Contributor
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2015, 12:40:43 pm »
One, the audience doesn't know that.  Two, we don't know that.  Three, should I find it sad that you don't find planetary bands of super-hurricane walls with eyes that could each easily hold its own Mother Earth safely within to be 'really bonkers'?  Four, that's not stopping the makers from moving the bonkers stuff around.

1 and 2 and 4 are true and I'd be totally fine exploiting them - dive as deep as you like, even modern science isn't really sure what's in there! 3 is semi-true, on earth clouds are the size of mountains and all, but weather is weather and we (the audience) know it already. Earth-sized hurricanes that delve deep and wide also probably aren't within that band of "earth-like" atmosphere or gravity.

Yay, Research!  Plus with 2.5g to work with...

2.5 g at the edge of the atmosphere. Put another way, at the edge of space. So basically space ships in vacuum. The multi-earth-sized hurricanes are a bit farther into the atmosphere and experience much higher gravity.

The other handwave is radiation - Jupiter would kill you from radiation alone just for being nearby. Saturn is better in that regard. But those two don't seem so bad in light of needing to do something about both most times anyway in Sci-fi, in addition to FTL, power enough to crush planets, and all that.
But you were dead a thousand times. Hopeless encounters successfully won. A man long dead, grafted to machines your builders did not understand. You follow the path, fitting into an infinite pattern. Yours to manipulate, to create and rebuild.

I know who you are.

You are destiny.

MRC

• Founder
  • Knows dev CPR
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2015, 02:02:19 pm »
2.5 g at the edge of the atmosphere. Put another way, at the edge of space. So basically space ships in vacuum. The multi-earth-sized hurricanes are a bit farther into the atmosphere and experience much higher gravity.

Gravity wouldn't increase that dramatically. In the case of Jupiter, you'd be experiencing 2.5g at 70,000km from the core. Descending 100km to 300km in order to reach earth-like pressure would barely have an effect on gravity. Might start to be noticeable around 1,000+ km deep, but at that point you also have a whole bunch of mass above you, pulling the opposite direction (and lots pulling sideways).

Also 2.5g is the exception rather than the rule, seems like gas giant stick around 1g.
With love.  ~MRC

Me2005

• Founder
  • Contributor
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2015, 11:14:55 am »
Gravity wouldn't increase that dramatically. In the case of Jupiter, you'd be experiencing 2.5g at 70,000km from the core. Descending 100km to 300km in order to reach earth-like pressure would barely have an effect on gravity. Might start to be noticeable around 1,000+ km deep, but at that point you also have a whole bunch of mass above you, pulling the opposite direction (and lots pulling sideways).

Also 2.5g is the exception rather than the rule, seems like gas giant stick around 1g.

Huh, learn something new every day. Here I thought the gravity on Jupiter was like 13x earth and totally intolerable to humans. 2.5x is probably feasible for most healthy people.

I know who you are.

You are destiny.

Cy83r

• Founder
  • It's Shooowtime!
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2015, 08:19:10 am »
Feasible for most (super)athletes, that basically means I, at 173lb, will suddenly be carrying an extra 259 pounds all the time!  My head will suddenly have another twelve pounds more weight to it.

Most people won't be able to go down to the atmospherics where the heavy worlders live and operate as muscle-bound supermen on space derricks without some sort of fluid suspension pod or powersuit.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2015, 08:23:13 am by Cy83r »

MRC

• Founder
  • Knows dev CPR
« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2015, 12:09:22 pm »
"As space travel became available to civilian, the world's gym douches population began a mass migration to Jupiter's high atmosphere in their eternal quest for the most intense workout.

We don't go to Jupiter anymore" -Space Encyclopedia 2557
With love.  ~MRC

MRC

• Founder
  • Knows dev CPR
« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2015, 04:52:38 pm »
Remember the whole "sci-fi submarine instead of spaceship" from before the gas giant talks?

Well, There's this game called Subnautica...

Yes.*
*Very Early access, purchase at your own risks.
With love.  ~MRC

Cy83r

• Founder
  • It's Shooowtime!
« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2015, 04:38:06 am »
Yeah, it's neat, but the author's insistence on reasources not regenerating and predators being omnipresent and nigh unkillable makes the game difficult to enjoy outside of marathon sessions- and my poor gpu can't handle it anymore.  Just got enough stuff out of the kelp forests to make the radsuit and it crashes forever now.

MRC

• Founder
  • Knows dev CPR
« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2015, 12:33:13 pm »
Did you know about this and not tell me? >:(

But yeah, as a game it's not worth it as of now, but it's an amazing proof of concept. Fingers crossed for it to continue a healthy development and show us what the sci-fi submarines concept can bring to the table.
With love.  ~MRC

Commander Jackson

• Founder
  • Lazy dev E.M.T.
  • Ex astris, scientia
« Reply #27 on: December 24, 2015, 02:26:24 pm »
Did you know about this and not tell me? >:(

Several big YouTubers have been doing playthroughs of Subnautica for the last hear or so.  They have an interesting base building set up, as well as interesting limitations to combat, only having ranged weapons 'stun' to ensure that you still need to be cautious around the monsters.
Gabe has a wraith? That explains so much.

Aaron

• BR Developer
  • Creative Director, ZanMgt
  • Available on the IRC from 9:00am to 5:00pm (EST)
    • http://www.zanmgt.com
« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2015, 10:39:32 pm »
Oh... I love submarine games...

Played "Iron Wolves: Online" back in the ol' dial-up days... fun game.

I have to keep myself from wanting to steer BR TOO MUCH in that direction though. ;D
Stop by the IRC and say Hi! -- Online Dev Chat

Hyperion

• Founder
  • SnowDragon's Lackey
« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2016, 02:00:57 am »
I was thinking of getting into http://fromthedepthsgame.com/ for the meantime. You can build subs, ships, planes, space spy satellites, space ships, and flying pirate ships. Its an interesting mix of voxels, rts, and rpg style of play.

Although, being a physics simulator, you're going to want a really fast processor in order to be able to build the bigger ships without a performance hit.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2016, 02:03:58 am by Hyperion »
I don't want to go "Oh! there's shots going my way! No big deal I'm the U.S.S Bloody Massive, It won't even leave a scratch." *boom* "SHIT! BIG DEAL! HUGE DEAL!"