Author Topic: What makes a good space-fleet?  (Read 5337 times)

Commander Jackson

• Founder
  • Lazy dev E.M.T.
  • Ex astris, scientia
Re: What makes a good space-fleet?
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2015, 08:39:53 pm »
Good point,  the guns on a full fledged ship would definitely have more range than those the small expendable guns on those drones.

Come to think of it, to cut costs on mass produced drones, you probably have to use cheaper equiptment.  A sufficiently advanced stealth drive should be enough so that the binoculars on the drones would not be able to detect the incoming ship until it would be right on top of them.
Gabe has a wraith? That explains so much.

MRC

• Founder
  • Knows dev CPR
  • Mental breakdown in progress...
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2015, 12:40:18 am »
Yeah, a blockade swarm on it's own is not going to take down established defense. It would need support from a proper battlefleet to be set up.
With love.  ~MRC

Commander Jackson

• Founder
  • Lazy dev E.M.T.
  • Ex astris, scientia
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2015, 10:17:11 am »
And thus we liberated the Synarian Commonwealth (SC) from the tyranical clutches of MRC!  The blockade is done!  Now all of the galaxy may enjoy tea from their plantations!

Spoiler
SC

7AP 9CP

- CLAIM THIS LAND FOR THE COMMONWEALTH (colonize the planet @ Lambda 34a) 1AP

- AND BUILD MORE TEA PLANTATIONS (upgrade to PI 4) 2AP 1CP

- Research binoculars (Sensors 2) (4CP)

I'll probably actually start RPing when I can stop being too lazy to write up a faction background. But regardless of the test. Tea is always the answer.

MRC

• Founder
  • Knows dev CPR
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2015, 03:41:21 pm »
And thus we liberated the Synarian Commonwealth (SC) from the tyranical clutches of MRC!  The blockade is done!  Now all of the galaxy may enjoy tea from their plantations!

'We had hope for a peaceful surrender of this system but your actions against our blockade has shown that you are only willing to escalate this conflict, and so we will. This will be the last communication from our part as well as your last chance to withdraw form the system. If you do not, I can only pray for the souls of the people of the Synarian Commonwealth for I cannot control their fate at the hands of our generals. Whatever happens I make two promises: we will accept surrender and, for the sake of the galaxy, we will continue to tend to the tea crops in the traditional fashion of the commonwealth.'

'With love ~ MRC'
With love.  ~MRC

Commander Jackson

• Founder
  • Lazy dev E.M.T.
  • Ex astris, scientia
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2015, 08:17:37 pm »
Forums won't let me post!
Edit: Fixed it

RP Response
Senior Commander Xander Fyrstar was curled up comfortably in his quarters as he listened to the transmission that had been recently relayed to the starbase from a group of light cruisers on a scouting mission.

According to the official report, the small squadron of three light cruisers had been fired on shortly after exiting hyperspace near a planet designated as Xi-33-2, more commonly known to its inhabitants as Terra Firma.

Commodore Red of the DFS Scarlet had given the order to engage all hostile targets and had subsequently wiped out a small fleet of unmanned drones.  Within three standard time units, the DFS Scarlet had received a transmission from someone identifying herself as ‘MRC.’  Commodore Red proceeded to order his squadron to hold position 2000 kilometers outside of the planets gravitational field to conduct repairs and relay his findings to his superior, Xander Fyrstar.

“Riley,” Fyrstar addressed the ships computer “What’s your take on this?”

The holographic avatar of the flagships sentient AI materialized over a nearby console.  “It would appear that Synarian tea is a highly coveted commodity.  Valuable enough for an entire nation to go to war over it,”

Riley paused for a few heartbeats before continuing. “I would advise prioritizing establishing trade with this Commonwealth.”

Noting the Commanders body language, Riley spoke again, this time with a hint of harshness, “Xander, after that last incident, the other Senior Commanders are not going to allow you to take another large fleet into combat for anything less than a full scale war.”

“Fine.” Xander hissed at Riley in annoyance before pulling up a new window with a flick of his tail, “I will record a response to send in an hour.”

Transmission

Hello Mrs MRC,

My name is Senior Commander Xander Fyrstar of the DFS Dawn.  I represent the Deltan Federation’s interests in this region of space.  On behalf of the Exploration Fleet, I apologize for this unfortunate misunderstanding.

It is the Federation’s goal to establish friendly trade with civilizations, not to subjugate them.  If the Synarian Commonwealth does not object to your proposal, we will not interfere.  The Deltan Federation does not wish for this incident to escalate into something regrettable.

Meows and Purrs :P Senior Commander Xander Fyrstar

I got bored after Galactic War ended so I ended up elaborating on a lot of RP/backstory elements that I never actually posted.  (Holy Thunder’s +20 Pages of amazingness made me rethink the quality of my writing.)

Anyway, the way I had planned on handling logistics for the Deltan Federation (see Galactic War: Season 2) was that I would create a network of hypergates/star-fortresses in systems at strategic points in space.  My fleets would be positioned by/in these systems.  If I needed them somewhere else, I would just gate them over.  All supplies would be sent through the gate. 
« Last Edit: August 16, 2015, 05:39:32 pm by Commander Jackson »

MRC

• Founder
  • Knows dev CPR
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2015, 11:34:13 pm »
As much as I'd like to RP some more I'll have to return to the topic of space-fleet. I'd like to share some more ideas before derailing the topic beyond repair.

Keeping with the setting of my previous two entries...

Supply Exchange

I had some interesting thoughts on the idea of supplies exchange between ships. The problem is, docking hundreds of thousands of tons of ships together is very tricky and dangerous. Even having them close to each-other is playing with fire.

My thought is to simply magnetically shoot cargo in small 10-20 tons packet at low velocity (10-20m/s). The receiving ship would then catch the packets with the help of a long mechanical arm. Simple, fuel efficient, no need to rely on a middle-man carrier.

On a busy day I would be kind of impressive to see long packet lines moving between the different ships.

Orion Drives

I recently reminded myself of the (theoretical) existence of the nuclear pulse engine, Aka Orion drive, and wondered where such a drive would be useful for a space civ. I'm thinking of two scenario where massive thrust and impulse comes in useful.

First, it would be a good way to send massive ships in orbit from already barren worlds, where mass destruction of the land isn't an issue. Secondly, the massive thrust would be useful to kickstart whole fleets into interstellar travel. A massive skeleton dock would be built around the drive for dozens of ships to attach to, letting them reach other star systems without expanding any of their own precious fuel.

Definitely not a stealthy way to travel though.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2015, 11:43:33 pm by MRC »
With love.  ~MRC

Commander Jackson

• Founder
  • Lazy dev E.M.T.
  • Ex astris, scientia
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2015, 05:57:17 pm »
The problem with shooting cargo from ship to ship is that the cargo will be exposed to space radiation and micrometeorites while in transit.

And I would hope that whatever civilization that has mastered interstellar travel did it without resprting to nuclear weapons.

@RP:  I'll probably start writing a story and post it in the RP board if I have time.

MRC

• Founder
  • Knows dev CPR
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2015, 08:58:06 pm »
We've had stuffs hanging in space for dozens of years, I'm sure some cargo in a ship container can survive a 1-2 hour trip.
With love.  ~MRC

Commander Jackson

• Founder
  • Lazy dev E.M.T.
  • Ex astris, scientia
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2015, 09:30:33 pm »
How will you deal with the deceleration? 

MRC

• Founder
  • Knows dev CPR
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2015, 09:54:15 pm »
The idea is to have them be shot slow enough to be simply caught by a mechanical arm, probably put some magnet in there for easy gripping (I sure love magnets, eh?). It's not meant for long distance delivery just for basic logistics within a fleet.

They could potentially be launched straight into a docking port with enough accuracy, but physic is a bit weird... I don't know if I would trust that.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2015, 09:58:31 pm by MRC »
With love.  ~MRC

Commander Jackson

• Founder
  • Lazy dev E.M.T.
  • Ex astris, scientia
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2015, 10:35:34 pm »

But still,  what if you need to move quickly?  You would have to wait for the last few bits of cargo to be caught before running.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2015, 10:37:08 pm by Commander Jackson »

MRC

• Founder
  • Knows dev CPR
« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2015, 11:43:59 pm »
Or bite the cost and abandon them.

Also, being in a hurry is such a rare occurrence in space that abandoned cargo would probably only account for one in a million. I'd be more concerned about missed cargo, but nothing stops a ship from moving in to retrieve them.
With love.  ~MRC

Me2005

• Founder
  • Contributor
« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2015, 06:38:03 pm »
The idea is to have them be shot slow enough to be simply caught by a mechanical arm, probably put some magnet in there for easy gripping (I sure love magnets, eh?). It's not meant for long distance delivery just for basic logistics within a fleet.

Huh...Wiki says terminal velocity for a skydiver is ~55 m/s, so call that a safe maximum for most cargo packed in cheap standardized containers. If your ships are 1km apart, you'll need 18 seconds to transfer per launcher/receiver, plus a bit for accel/decel. I guess that makes sense then. Even at 10 km separation, you're only talking 3 minutes. Considering that this would likely be largely used to transfer from logistic vessels, which would be done only in safe-space (which you should be able to predict for days ahead of time), that's totally reasonable. And it could probably be done even more quickly depending on the tech.

Would not have thought that would work, but it seems like it would. It seems like it would work well, assuming the launchers and receivers aren't going to be more mass-efficient than a comparable ferry or shuttle.
But you were dead a thousand times. Hopeless encounters successfully won. A man long dead, grafted to machines your builders did not understand. You follow the path, fitting into an infinite pattern. Yours to manipulate, to create and rebuild.

I know who you are.

You are destiny.

Neonivek

• Founder
« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2015, 06:27:13 am »
Come to think of it, to cut costs on mass produced drones, you probably have to use cheaper equiptment.  A sufficiently advanced stealth drive should be enough so that the binoculars on the drones would not be able to detect the incoming ship until it would be right on top of them.

That is sort of the catch all once you got space tech. Material costs and components stop being such a drain on your resources.

Anyhow it is very setting specific.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2015, 06:28:47 am by Neonivek »

Cy83r

• Founder
  • It's Shooowtime!
« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2016, 05:38:01 am »
Kick remote targeted kasaba-howitzer warheads out the cargo hatch alongside a few painter drones.  Is it still considered discarding sabot when you literally have to discard them to fire?
Jibreel: Yeah but [Hufer] that's like [Axis] complaining that his Toyota Camry is stuck in the mud and you responding "Well my M1 Abrams doesn't seem to be having much trouble."