Author Topic: What kind of ship will you use the most in PvP?  (Read 2392 times)

Thrivero

• Spacer
  • Here since February 2013
What kind of ship will you use the most in PvP?
« on: March 21, 2015, 03:29:52 am »
Personally, im most likely going to use some sort of fast fighter.

Niwantaw

• Founder
  • Eternal Skipper O.Q
  • Grille'd
Re: What kind of ship will you use the most in PvP?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2015, 11:49:24 am »
Clearly I will be found only on a battleship. Standing on the bridge, with my tea and shouting at the poor sods press-ganged into serving as my crew.

"God damnit why does everything have to be in sweedish? I don't understand shit"-Davee

<Strait_Raider> "The Big 4 could be equipped with a Bren gun or a 3 inch mortar..."
<Strait_Raider>That's like... my two favorite things.
     Put together.
     That's like... Kate Upton in a Tiger

Strait Raider

• It's "Strait", as in the body of water.
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2015, 12:08:53 pm »
Captaining a Light Cruiser, fast enough to strike rapidly, powerful enough to smash anything it can't run from.

Raiding the space-straits for Niwantaw's supply lines and construction facilities, ensuring his Battleship is never completed.

Niwantaw

• Founder
  • Eternal Skipper O.Q
  • Grille'd
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2015, 03:30:45 pm »
That's okay with me. as I'll just finish the bridge first and remain drinking tea for the entirety of forever. Which is the goal here.
"God damnit why does everything have to be in sweedish? I don't understand shit"-Davee

<Strait_Raider> "The Big 4 could be equipped with a Bren gun or a 3 inch mortar..."
<Strait_Raider>That's like... my two favorite things.
     Put together.
     That's like... Kate Upton in a Tiger

Cy83r

• Founder
  • It's Shooowtime!
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2015, 03:34:52 pm »
Combat Role Design as Learned from Space Engineers

If I can automate turrets and have enough sensor range to engage targets past my ship's nose: battleship.

If ranges are limited and I need to invent clever ways to kill you better: clearly remote controlled demolition drones.
Jibreel: Yeah but [Hufer] that's like [Axis] complaining that his Toyota Camry is stuck in the mud and you responding "Well my M1 Abrams doesn't seem to be having much trouble."

MRC

• Founder
  • Knows dev CPR
  • Mental breakdown in progress...
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2015, 05:51:10 pm »
Interesting question, I guess my vessel of choice depends on the scale of the battlefield, use of resources and if team-play is involved.

On a full scale map with resources and teams/factions : Probably a self-sufficient logistical ship to keep the fleet supplied and combat ready, allowing them to fully dedicate to a combat role.

Full scale, free-for-all: Some asteroid converted into a gun platform, or more likely a ram.

Arena-scale with teams: A support cruiser, staying behind the tankier ships assessing the battle and taking shot where it'll hurt the most.   ;D

Arena-scale free-for-all: I'd choose a Minelayer to be an absolute pain to everyone. If not available, a torpedo frigate.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2015, 05:53:57 pm by MRC »
With love.  ~MRC

Concore

• Founder
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2015, 10:51:04 pm »
If you gave me enough recourses to play with, then I would probably go with a battle cruiser.  That way I can pound most of

the smaller ship into space debris and still be able to outrun the slow battleships without getting much punishment.  If I had to choose

something else then I would get a destroyer and snipe my enemy's until they either get a lucky shot at me or one of them decides to

ram me with an asteroid with engines strapped to the back of it.

Aaron

• BR Developer
  • Creative Director, ZanMgt
  • Available on the IRC from 9:00am to 5:00pm (EST)
    • http://www.zanmgt.com
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2015, 11:57:33 pm »
I've always liked the Outrider from "Shadows of the Empire", and just a medium-small freighter in general.  A mere speck in comparison to the behemoths, but I like the idea of a technologically capable itty-bitty ship. ^.^
Stop by the IRC and say Hi! -- Online Dev Chat

Me2005

• Founder
  • Contributor
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2015, 11:15:29 am »
I've always liked the Outrider from "Shadows of the Empire", and just a medium-small freighter in general.  A mere speck in comparison to the behemoths, but I like the idea of a technologically capable itty-bitty ship. ^.^

Argosy FTW.

But seriously, probably a glass-cannon that kills while safely at range. If that mechanic doesn't work properly, something medium-large that has good survivability and high DPS, sacrificing endurance as needed.
But you were dead a thousand times. Hopeless encounters successfully won. A man long dead, grafted to machines your builders did not understand. You follow the path, fitting into an infinite pattern. Yours to manipulate, to create and rebuild.

I know who you are.

You are destiny.

Czorio

• Founder
  • Residential nutbag
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2015, 08:40:12 am »
Bicycle.
"If you're in an equal fight, your tactics suck."

http://www.youtube.com/user/czorio4

Aaron

• BR Developer
  • Creative Director, ZanMgt
  • Available on the IRC from 9:00am to 5:00pm (EST)
    • http://www.zanmgt.com
Stop by the IRC and say Hi! -- Online Dev Chat

Commander Jackson

• Founder
  • Lazy dev E.M.T.
  • Ex astris, scientia
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2015, 03:55:20 pm »
PvP Server

I would build a fast agile frigate with emphasis on hard hitting weapons.  That ship would be used to conduct hit and run raids on whoever looks like a fun target.

PvP Match

A cruiser.  Agile enough to be able to dodge the really heavy weapons.  Enough armor to be able to tank a few hits, and armed with enough weapons to spam missiles at a target until it dies.
Gabe has a wraith? That explains so much.

Voltaire

• Founder
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2015, 08:29:51 am »
I would build a mother-ship, with on-board factories that would spam swarms of AI Drones, and reap across the galaxy in a blaze of glory!  Mwuhahahah.   Giving a generous portion of the spoils to charity, of course.

That or a support / science vessel; I am kind of torn.

Of-course for one-on-one I would probably go bird-of-pray.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 09:01:11 am by Voltaire »

theallmightybob

• Founder
  • Sleep is for the weak.
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2015, 08:58:34 pm »

but less buggy the day it leaves the shipyard >_>.
would you buy a toaster shaped like an f22 with an eject button on it? cause thats what i'm going for.

The Wolf

• Founder
  • Confucius say when crap hits fan wear raincoat
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2015, 08:58:50 pm »
Something with guns ...............LOTS OF GUNS