Author Topic: Customizable Infantry Weapons  (Read 34022 times)

Kron

• Founder
Customizable Infantry Weapons
« on: October 01, 2011, 09:08:16 pm »
One possible improvement would be to fuse various weapons into single multi-modal weapon.

This would mean that players wouldn't run into weapon deficiencies as often. If you don't have an assault rifle, pick up a shotgun from the ground and transform it into an assault rifle.

Jmanndriver

• Founder
  • Bigger is Better...
Re: Customizable Infantry Weapons
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2011, 09:28:17 pm »
The only stat that should be changed in this case realistically would be the weight, and the accuracy. The power and range shouldn't change, unless you count the scope. I am willing to sacrifice that realism for Fun though lol.

Fun>Realism.

"Quotes at the bottom of signatures are pointless. Just like this one."

- Unknown

Matz05

• Founder
  • Diabolical Genius
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2011, 10:07:49 pm »
Longer (airtight) barrels on a chemical firearm = higher muzzle velocity...usually.
It wouldn't help a (normal) revolver, but a carbine? Sure!
Posted By Alaric on 28 Jun 2011 04:54 PM
...it doesn't matter, I making space ships!

Jmanndriver

• Founder
  • Bigger is Better...
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2011, 11:16:48 pm »
So are we talking about a system similar to the Borderlands one where they piece different parts of the guns together and combine stats that are on each piece?

It would be fantastic if we could have hundreds or thousands of combinations of guns like that. Kind of like a mmo item system where there are greens blues ect...

- Unknown

Zerebo

• Super Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2011, 05:36:48 am »
The abilty to customize weapons sound like a great idea for the game.
I think it should be the same system used for upgrading personel armour.
So that every gun has slots and you can fill them with special equipment.
If it's to much work to make the weapons look different, they could be internal upgrades just changing the stats.
Some things could be:
Things that change more then just the stats
-Automatic aim (Noob upgrade?):
Gun helps aiming but reduces damage and no headshots
-Flashlight
Could blind enemys
-Laser pointer
Makes aiming easier
-Grenade Launcher
-Emp blaster
Short range under barrel emp blaster

Stats stuff
-Heavier bullets/more plasma
More damage but reduced  accuracy
-Heavy barrel
Higher Accuracy but more recoil

Matz05

• Founder
  • Diabolical Genius
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2011, 07:32:27 pm »
OOOHHH... Borderlands-style modular item generation? Cool!

As far as i know, Borderlands has items (guns, mainly) that have both randomly selected (according to rules) modules and numeric attributes.

Each weapon has a type (revolver, shotgun, etc.) and a manufacturer (one may always make guns easy to reload but inaccurate, etc.)
Based on these, modules are chosen out of an extensive library. These each influence the statistics of the weapon, both numerics (accuracy, etc.) and special effects like making a revolver scattershot, making SMGs double-barrelled, incendiary ammo, etc.
Based on the type, manufacturer, modules, and numeric stats, the weapon is named. Certain names include titles that can apply special effects (more pellets in an even higher spread for inaccurate shotguns is titled "Matador") and restrict what modules there can be. (some special effects will reroll others to more compatible things, etc.)
This is also scaled for level, both having more interesting parts show up more often at higher levels and having numbers adjusted.

A similar system in Blockade Runner would allow players to combine individually machined parts, with some kind of research or tools system giving manufacturer +/-es.
The combination is calculated and titles are either given by the computer, added by the player (choosing between the balanced "Shotgun" or short-ranged "Scattergun" names, etc.), or both. Could also work for non-weapon items.

Jmanndriver

• Founder
  • Bigger is Better...
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2011, 08:24:06 pm »
I don't think it would be too hard to code up a much slimmer version of the BLands weapon system. They could also upgrade it later with additions of new pieces of weapons.

It would be easier to make pieces of weapons that can be pieced together with an algorithm rather than making many many individual weapons.

- Unknown

Matz05

• Founder
  • Diabolical Genius
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2011, 09:35:48 pm »
Exactly. Implementing this kind of system is about 10 times the work for 500,000 times the reward compared to making a pistol, a shotgun, a sniper rifle, etc.

Elvengod

• Founder
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2011, 11:56:53 pm »
To prevent a super class, there probably needs to be some sort of restriction on what u can costomize. I think a good one would be weight, that way your race can affect the things you can have on you, race can also affect the types/ prices of armor and tools. Sound reasonable?
Life begins in the shadows and thus life ends in the shadows
- first Virak king, Zimfira

Matz05

• Founder
  • Diabolical Genius
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2011, 07:14:04 pm »
Super class? There is no...

Do you mean a "top" weapon? Well, there should be a cost to getting better gun parts, and it should be made so no one gun can do everything perfectly...

Elvengod

• Founder
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2011, 07:39:16 pm »
I meant in like armor, to prevent the ability to pick the very absolute best armor and weps that make you invulnerable
Life begins in the shadows and thus life ends in the shadows
- first Virak king, Zimfira

Matz05

• Founder
  • Diabolical Genius
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2011, 08:17:16 pm »
No, that would be bad.

I think Borderlands did it (among cheaters, no less!) by not allowing any weapon that could not be logically reconstructed from its parts.
(You could still mod impossible combinations in, but it had to have the same stats as that hypothetical combination would have.)

Any advantages outside of the modules would have to be very, very carefully balanced, and probably small, but balancing parts might be easier.

You could do two things to do this:
1. make an attempt to balance the parts (not make them the same, but give each a favoured niche or theme).
This would lead to weapons being more situational and avoid players using one gun for everything.

2. give different requirements for each part. A player who only has a few minerals and peices of equipment would only be able to make certain types of weapons; while a multi-player empire with lucrative mining operations, dedicated labs, and trading partners could make almost any combination they pleased.
This would give even "inferior" guns a niche, and add another factor to the player's customisation choices; due to cost and availability concerns. If the gun costs a million dollars and fires five hundred dollar ammo, a gun that performs half as well might still be preferable, because you can cart around 3-4 redshirts all armed with them all the time.

Maybe someone should split this and I can give some ideas on what it would look like?

Zerebo

• Super Moderator
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2011, 05:35:13 am »
1) sounds better. Super Weapons would just ruin the multiplayer and singleplayer experience.
They are impossible to balance right. Even when they are really expensive you will just spoil the fun for everyone who can't afford them.
The FPS should be something like 30% skill (your own,not any stats), 40% tactic and 20% equipment.

Every part should take one slot and every weapon chassis got a fixed number of slots. (More expensive ones could have a few more)
And every part should just be a minor improvement. Or a bigger improvement with downsides, like more damage but also more recoil. This way you never get super weapons, just weapons that are slightly better in some situations.
Finally there could be parts that give special abilitys (like a grenade launcher).

Rainman

• Founder
  • Loremaster
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2011, 08:33:57 am »
No, that would be bad.

I think Borderlands did it (among cheaters, no less!) by not allowing any weapon that could not be logically reconstructed from its parts.
(You could still mod impossible combinations in, but it had to have the same stats as that hypothetical combination would have.)

Any advantages outside of the modules would have to be very, very carefully balanced, and probably small, but balancing parts might be easier.

If you were parts-lucky and/or just cunning enough, you could do stuff like put together perfectly-accurate (as in, zero spread) scoped automatic shotguns, which worked as sniper rifles. That set people on fire.

Granted, this is partly because Borderlands was -supposed- to be over the top, but if ZANMGT implements a modular weapons mechanic, they will need to be fairly careful about balancing the options and trying to make sure there aren't any game breaking combos.
SCIENCE!
...IN SPAAAAAAAACE!

Jmanndriver

• Founder
  • Bigger is Better...
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2011, 10:42:37 am »
I think that it would be little work for a big pay off. You could have like 30-50 different parts for each slot on a gun and if that is about 5 slots that is a few 10's of thousands of combinations.

- Unknown