Author Topic: Self Destruct Sequence !  (Read 3000 times)

RLS0812

• Founder
  • Captain of the SS Clueless
Self Destruct Sequence !
« on: October 25, 2014, 08:13:31 am »
 I haven't seen this one listed in the posts from the last year, so here we go !

I suggest that ships can have the ability to self destruct if the player has that feature "built" into their ship.

How it works: When a player enters a "code" into his computer system, the self destruct is activated for X seconds. The explosion would result from:
1: Overloading the ship's power cores.
2: Setting off all ammo dumps aboard.
3: Overloading all the power weapons.
4: Detonating any explosives that the player has built into the hull.

Why would some one want to blow up their ship ?
I could think of some good reasons such as:
1: The ship is not worth salvaging.
2: Enemies are about to capture the ship during combat.
3: Ship is damaged and the player chooses to kamikaze .
« Last Edit: October 25, 2014, 08:16:33 am by RLS0812 »

My YouTube Channel Filled With Geek, Nerd, Politics, Economics, & More ! 
[Click Here]

Iago

• Founder
  • Keep calm and charge the FTL drive
Re: Self Destruct Sequence !
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2014, 09:09:03 am »
Sounds cool, but I would rather have to manually overload reactors and detonate ammunition instead of entering a code.
RAMMING SPEED!
Superbia mentis potens in armis.

Commander Jackson

• Founder
  • Lazy dev E.M.T.
  • Ex astris, scientia
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2014, 10:19:30 am »
If you are saying that you want it to be coded into the game, the option for a player to blow up their own ship, I feel like that is a bad idea.  That would completely defeat the purpose of boarding the opponents ship if a player could simply blow it up when it became clear that they are going to lose.

If you are saying that it should be possible to manually rig your ship to blow up then I agree that that should be possible.
Gabe has a wraith? That explains so much.

Niwantaw

• Founder
  • Eternal Skipper O.Q
  • Grille'd
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2014, 12:36:40 pm »
It would be fun to be able to rig it up to self destruct.... but I would like it to be something you add in. Either via detonators set up in ammo stores or just by building it out of plastic explosives.  Just so it was an conscious decision to make your ship asplodeable.
"God damnit why does everything have to be in sweedish? I don't understand shit"-Davee

<Strait_Raider> "The Big 4 could be equipped with a Bren gun or a 3 inch mortar..."
<Strait_Raider>That's like... my two favorite things.
     Put together.
     That's like... Kate Upton in a Tiger

Me2005

• Founder
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2014, 11:07:23 am »
It would be fun to be able to rig it up to self destruct.... but I would like it to be something you add in. Either via detonators set up in ammo stores or just by building it out of plastic explosives.  Just so it was an conscious decision to make your ship asplodeable.

This is probably the best way. You've got to intentionally set things up to destroy your ship, otherwise CJ's fear of self-destruction to avoid capture will happen often.
But you were dead a thousand times. Hopeless encounters successfully won. A man long dead, grafted to machines your builders did not understand. You follow the path, fitting into an infinite pattern. Yours to manipulate, to create and rebuild.

I know who you are.

You are destiny.

[ZanMgt]Gabriel

• BR Developer
  • Lord Ruler, Gamer, Programmer, Spy
    • www.zanmgt.com
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2014, 12:22:55 pm »
We're kind of dubious of adding in a self destruct feature for the reasons stated above. They would be nothing stopping you of course from putting an equivalent C4 charge on your reactor, fuel, and ammo though. ;)

Of course that would only explode the reactor, ammo, and fuel. There is a only a slim chance that the explosion would be powerful enough to destroy the whole ship.
"a programmer is an intermediary that converts sugar and caffeine into code"

Strait Raider

• It's "Strait", as in the body of water.
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2014, 12:57:55 pm »
You could relatively easily render the ship useless for anything but salvage though (and poor salvage at that).

Scorched earth FTW.

Commander Jackson

• Founder
  • Lazy dev E.M.T.
  • Ex astris, scientia
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2014, 03:37:04 pm »
If you really want to keep your stuff out of other peoples hands,  you could have exploaives prerigged but then you will have the problem of accedental explosions.

Me2005

• Founder
  • Contributor
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2014, 03:45:27 pm »
If you really want to keep your stuff out of other peoples hands,  you could have exploaives prerigged but then you will have the problem of accedental explosions.

Which seems like a fair balance IMO.
But you were dead a thousand times. Hopeless encounters successfully won. A man long dead, grafted to machines your builders did not understand. You follow the path, fitting into an infinite pattern. Yours to manipulate, to create and rebuild.

I know who you are.

You are destiny.

Commander Jackson

• Founder
  • Lazy dev E.M.T.
  • Ex astris, scientia
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2014, 06:37:39 pm »
Over condident player (OCP) : ha ha ha!  Now no one will be able to steal my undefeatable ship!

Boarding party: <sets off explosives>

<ship explodes>

Bladecatcher

• Founder
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2014, 09:36:43 pm »
Regardless of whether a player should have the ability to self destruct or not, I don't really see why you would want to in the first place. It would be much smarter to design your ship with hidden passages/back doors, so if your ship does get commandeered, you'll have a few tricks up your sleeve when it comes time to retake it... 

Commander Jackson

• Founder
  • Lazy dev E.M.T.
  • Ex astris, scientia
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2014, 12:18:13 am »
Regardless of whether a player should have the ability to self destruct or not, I don't really see why you would want to in the first place. It would be much smarter to design your ship with hidden passages/back doors, so if your ship does get commandeered, you'll have a few tricks up your sleeve when it comes time to retake it... 
On the flip side there is always the chance that some lucky person will find one of your passages after tossing a lucky explosive.

Cy83r

• Founder
  • It's Shooowtime!
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2014, 11:00:59 pm »
We're kind of dubious of adding in a self destruct feature for the reasons stated above. They would be nothing stopping you of course from putting an equivalent C4 charge on your reactor, fuel, and ammo though. ;)

Of course that would only explode the reactor, ammo, and fuel. There is a only a slim chance that the explosion would be powerful enough to destroy the whole ship.
If you guys make everything as cinematically explodey as you've said it will be in your ideal, it'd be a small investment of resources and internal space to just build a one-shot missile tube pointed at something volatile inside of your ship and then tie the trigger to a big red button in a secure room somewhere easy to reach for the captain or XO and when the time comes, fire-ze-missile and watch the chain reaction blow the guts out of your baby.  You might as well just include an explodey bit, call it "Self-destruct charge" and put it in with the other weapons and then make a specially-colored weapons console called the "Big Red Button", but really it's just a weapons console like normal but with a big red button somewhere on there.
Jibreel: Yeah but [Hufer] that's like [Axis] complaining that his Toyota Camry is stuck in the mud and you responding "Well my M1 Abrams doesn't seem to be having much trouble."

Commander Jackson

• Founder
  • Lazy dev E.M.T.
  • Ex astris, scientia
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2014, 05:50:50 pm »
Just make sure that the "self destruct missiles" aren't selected when you select all weapons (cmd+A) to fire.

Cy83r

• Founder
  • It's Shooowtime!
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2014, 08:51:53 pm »
make it a special launcher that's queued to (cmd+*) by default
Jibreel: Yeah but [Hufer] that's like [Axis] complaining that his Toyota Camry is stuck in the mud and you responding "Well my M1 Abrams doesn't seem to be having much trouble."