Author Topic: Shores of Hazeron is done  (Read 3472 times)

Czorio

• Founder
  • Residential nutbag
    • Youtube Channel
Shores of Hazeron is done
« on: October 21, 2014, 05:39:45 am »
Most of you probably have heard about the game "Shores of Hazeron" by now, I have just learned that it is over and development has stopped.

August 15, 2014

Friends,

Shores of Hazeron is no more.

The project source will remain safely packed away, in case someone with a large development budget realized what a tragedy it is to let this truly visionary project go into the dust bin. One of you must know James Cameron. ;^)

Developing Shores of Hazeron has taken tons of painstaking work with many grueling moments and epic challenges. I hope you had as much fun as I did.

Thanks for playing.

Yours truly,

Haxus

Though after that it does say:

August 20, 2014

Shores of Hazeron is morphing into a different game. It may be back sooner than you think, sort of. Ship designs and DNA may play a role. Lots of juicy code needs to be distilled; we'll see what remains.

Check here once in a while for updates.

So I guess that that is it then.

I can't say I didn't see it coming, between the time I quit playing and the last time I checked the site a lot of rather silly choices were made in favor of fixing some rather annoying bugs. (iirc implementing stairs before fixing crew AI pathing was one). So much so that a good part of the community "rebelled" against Haxus, the creator of the game. Though a couple of cool things came out of it as well, the new ship designer looked really useful, buildings got an interior (but don't get me started on the removal of the grid building placement system). And the lag stayed laggy.
"If you're in an equal fight, your tactics suck."

http://www.youtube.com/user/czorio4

Aaron

• BR Developer
  • Creative Director, ZanMgt
  • Available on the IRC from 9:00am to 5:00pm (EST)
    • http://www.zanmgt.com
Re: Shores of Hazeron is done
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2014, 12:35:34 am »
So, on August 15th it's dead, and on August 20th it's back?

Is Haxus still in development of the new game then?

Thanks for the heads up, Czorio, =]
Stop by the IRC and say Hi! -- Online Dev Chat

Czorio

• Founder
  • Residential nutbag
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2014, 06:05:06 am »
from what I hear he is taking some systems used in Shores and is putting them in a mobile game. the DNA and planet generation system iirc. Which I think is a massive shame, but it is his code so...

Aaron

• BR Developer
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2014, 09:37:46 pm »
Well, good luck to him!  Shores of Hazeron always reminded me of a gamified version of Active Worlds, so it's a shame to see it go.

Active Worlds, by the way was a Java game (?) during the late 90's where you could create virtual worlds.  Kind of a Minecraft for its time, but sadly due to its requirements of a dedicated T1 host at $300/month in an age of dial-up it kind of got squashed for marketability.

Pic of active worlds...

I fondly remember visiting the 3D yards in Active Worlds, 'shopping' for cool objects to use around our virtual house.  We had an A-Wing parked on the roof. :D
« Last Edit: November 04, 2014, 04:37:23 pm by Aaron »

Czorio

• Founder
  • Residential nutbag
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2014, 07:15:50 am »
I think I played a Dutch-made ripoff from that a long while back (6+ years). It was... Peculiar.

spartanshalo

• Founder
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2015, 01:16:54 am »
Due to pressure from the fan base, Hazeron is back. Now with a subscription however. No improvements yet, but the money should help it grow now that it is no longer free.
Liberty and justice for all...except for you. And you. And YOU. Your going to the box.

Aaron

• BR Developer
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2015, 04:32:16 pm »
Well good on the original dev!  I wish Ace of Spades would have done that instead of selling the game to Jagex.

Strait Raider

• It's "Strait", as in the body of water.
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2015, 08:10:12 pm »
Well good on the original dev!  I wish Ace of Spades would have done that instead of selling the game to Jagex.

I'll echo that. Ace of Spades was an incredible game before Jagex made it into that monstrosity. You can still play the classic 0.75 Ace of Spades for free, (the project is now known as Build and Shoot) and I highly recommend it.

Voltaire

• Founder
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2015, 09:16:49 am »

What changed about the game play that led you to dislike, and what about the original game play did injoy?

Strait Raider

• It's "Strait", as in the body of water.
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2015, 10:18:06 am »
The new Ace of Spades experience that Jagex made totally changed the game.

The original Ace of Spades was an innovative use of a voxel landscape engine to create a dynamic battlefield with compelling trench warfare. The gameplay was paced. The weapons, reasonably balanced. The game modes were innovative, and fit well with the mechanics (Tower of Babel ftw).

The new Ace of Spades by Jagex, presumably with the intent of appealing to as broad an audience as possible, turned everything up to 11 and ruined the core gameplay in doing so. There is no point to building at all, because all the new and modified weapons tear through terrain like there's no tomorrow. Even the shovel has been modified to remove several blocks in one hit. The mining rocket is particularly ridiculous, blasting an entire tunnel in a single strike. Even so, why would you bother tunneling when you can just choose a class with a jetpack, completely negating any enemy defences or terrain? It's not like you even need or can use defenses anyway, the new maps already exist as new-age CQB clusterfucks. Call of Duty in block form, but without the level of care given to the design. The only evolution that occurs over the course of the (short) games is a tendancy for the map to evolve from a close-range battlefield pockmarked with trees and walls to a close-range battlefield pockmarked with trees, walls, and craters.

The old maps started simple, and evolved over the course of the game by the player's hands. Landmarks were built. Trenches won and lost. Bridges spanned rivers to bring reinforcements to the front faster, and were targeted by saboteurs to disrupt the enemy. Clandestine tunnels clawed their way slowly beneath enemy fortifications. It was beautiful.

On top of the modified original weapons (rifle, SMG, shotgun), they've added the requisite absurdity - miniguns, sniper rifles, rocket launchers. Oh, and a class system. Because all games must have class systems. Don't get me wrong, class systems done right are great and can encourage team dynamics, but these classes don't. The classes are weapon swaps only, plus mobility enhancements for two classes (Jetpack and mining rocket). There is no medic, no heavy, no engineer class with varied skills. Just one class that is better at running flags than the other three. There's a reason this game is so critically panned, even by the majority of critics who haven't played the original.

Seriously, go play the original, which you can still do at buildandshoot.com. Aside from similar art styles, the two games play completely differently.

Aaron

• BR Developer
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2015, 11:36:58 am »
^

+1

Thrivero

• Spacer
  • Here since February 2013
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2015, 01:54:15 pm »
Oh man i love Build And Shoot! The guys who made it are now also making a remake with improved psyhics, better shading and graphics, but same awesome gameplay. It's called Openspades, if you somehow don't know.

DiscK

• Founder
  • Bigger on the Inside.
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2015, 02:48:21 am »
I really loved Shores of Hazeron, getting my empire up to Tier 32 and warring with the french empire. Haven't played in a year though so hearing about it was something new for me
"430rhgq3wr0g8hwroeihremaontweoittitsuoefaoinbrigroarg"
- Anonymous

Deantwo

• Founder
Shores of Hazeron is back
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2015, 01:27:55 pm »
Didn't expect to see a Hazeron thread here.
Hope no one minds the necro.

Just wanted to actually say that Shores of Hazeron is back and has been since February.
It just isn't free anymore.

www.Hazeron.com

Czorio

• Founder
  • Residential nutbag
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2015, 08:06:01 am »
As mentioned by Spartanshalo in this thread.