Author Topic: Today's development update! (October 1st)  (Read 1130 times)

Aaron

• BR Developer
  • Creative Director, ZanMgt
  • Available on the IRC from 9:00am to 5:00pm (EST)
    • http://www.zanmgt.com
Today's development update! (October 1st)
« on: October 01, 2014, 09:47:16 pm »
Today (and yesterday!) Zack did a bit more with the new player netcode and ran a test of 50 simultaneous players flying about.  A bit more challenging for Zack /today/ was studying how he'd best be served to break the VoxelEntities up into the new component system.  Zack was sick and isolated away from the office today though, so unfortunately we couldn't do a brain storming meeting on it! =P

Nathan *finally* has working test of the scrap atlas, so now he's moving on to our geometry instancing technique that takes advatange of it!

After fixing a few issues with UI relative positioning and improving the bezier code, Gabe rocketed across some UI major elements today.

Micah and I were away from the office sporadically this past week but today finally got to the must have list for the next Unity standalone.  Tomorrow in the FC I'll get Z N and G to post pics of their work. I'm usually 'PR guy', but best they contributed now and then. ;D

Terah and I were busy this afternoon putting up some new shelves in the office. We wants to art instead! >.>  Kind of excited to try out a new style she and I have been working on for blocks and pieces.  Gonna do prelim tests in Unity/3dsmax first.
Stop by the IRC and say Hi! -- Online Dev Chat

Cy83r

• Founder
  • It's Shooowtime!
Re: Today's development update! (October 1st)
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2014, 11:06:12 am »
Sudden thought: I know the initial sales of BR should have given you quite a bit to work with to secure your ability to work on the project, but I'm suddenly curious as to how much time that gives you before your studio needs to take on other projects to keep that momentum up.  I don't want to be rude and ask directly about numbers, but how stable has initial and continuing sales left your group?
Jibreel: Yeah but [Hufer] that's like [Axis] complaining that his Toyota Camry is stuck in the mud and you responding "Well my M1 Abrams doesn't seem to be having much trouble."

Aaron

• BR Developer
  • Creative Director, ZanMgt
  • Available on the IRC from 9:00am to 5:00pm (EST)
    • http://www.zanmgt.com
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2014, 03:01:14 pm »
Quote from: Cy83r
how stable has initial and continuing sales left your group?

We've done contract work on the side throughout the past few years, so the same as it has been before and after we started Blockade Runner. =P

Quote from: Cy83r
I know the initial sales of BR should have given you quite a bit to work with to secure your ability to work on the project

Initial sales (50k over three years) really just helped us smooth out all the "do's and don'ts".  This being our first commercial endeavor with games (particularly one of this scale), we've had a lot to learn, and luckily received an unparalleled education while still technically in the early stages of development (considering the new engine is still only about half-way done!).
« Last Edit: October 02, 2014, 06:42:34 pm by Aaron »
Stop by the IRC and say Hi! -- Online Dev Chat

Cy83r

• Founder
  • It's Shooowtime!
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2014, 06:22:51 pm »
Project sustainability assured, I'm happy.
Jibreel: Yeah but [Hufer] that's like [Axis] complaining that his Toyota Camry is stuck in the mud and you responding "Well my M1 Abrams doesn't seem to be having much trouble."