Author Topic: On board fires  (Read 4507 times)

monn45888

• Founder
On board fires
« on: September 27, 2014, 06:24:36 pm »
I was thinking of this idea that maybe there could be fires inside the ship as long as there is oxygen. The fire would slowly or quickly burn down blocks and spread through the entire ship. (if there's nothing to prevent the fire from spreading.) The fire's temperature would be hot from the plasma I believe, so it would burn down most materials and equipment.

How a fire will occur: There's a 5% chance that each shot from a plasma weapon will cause a fire, and 100% chance if it hits a generator or power line (only happens inside where there is oxygen, if you ever happen to penetrate through the ship's armor.) Another way for a fire to occur is by faulty wiring/power line or by some weapon that will cause fire.

How to extinguish fire: You could either starve the area/room out of oxygen where the fire is in, so that it could quickly die out. There could also be a fire suppression system where there's sprinklers and some other fire fighting stuff to extinguish the fire.

So yeah, this idea might have flaws in it but i'm sure how it is like to have a fire inside a ship. (maybe not) I would also like to see questions about this idea. I also think that smoke from the fire could harm you if you don't have proper equipment.

Cy83r

• Founder
  • It's Shooowtime!
Re: On board fires
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2014, 07:09:48 pm »
You can also turn the gravity off.  Combustion relies on thermal updraft to carry exhaust up and away from the reaction and bring fresh oxygen in from the bottom, in microgravity, that exhaust just collects on the surface of a bubble of flame and chokes itself out in seconds.  That said, cleaning up after a gravity blink because of a fire is a bit less stressful than figuring out which paperwork needs to be salvaged thanks to sprinklers- actually that gives me ideas about installing anti-gravity firefighting systems in terrestrial structures... beware of rupture O2 lines though, as a breeze provides convection and air jets even more so.

Then again, if you want to treat fire like a liquid in microgravity that surges through compartments in a tide of all-consuming fury, I wouldn't say anything about realism- this is one of those situations where the cinematic version is more appealing for the sake of gameplay.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2014, 07:11:24 pm by Cy83r »
Jibreel: Yeah but [Hufer] that's like [Axis] complaining that his Toyota Camry is stuck in the mud and you responding "Well my M1 Abrams doesn't seem to be having much trouble."

Czorio

• Founder
  • Residential nutbag
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2014, 05:42:57 am »
Tsk, storing files on paper in a spaceship.

Paper is probably pretty rare in the future (not because of a lack of means of production, but because it is not needed), so paper could be a collectible.

I think that FTL has the fire stuff just right. Though the idea of flash-fires when you open doors to oxygen depraved rooms and Michael Bay escue events would be cool.
"If you're in an equal fight, your tactics suck."

http://www.youtube.com/user/czorio4

theallmightybob

• Founder
  • Sleep is for the weak.
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2014, 09:23:58 am »
Isn't that Michael Bay event called a back draft,and isn't it real, at least here on gravity cursed earth? at least I'm pretty sure one of them things almost killed my gramps once (he was fire fighter)

Not sure how much I would like having to check the temperature in a room before pumping oxygen back into it though.  Other then forgetting to shut down damaged/malfunctioning equipment or taking more weapons fire, I would hope for simplicities sake that a fire would stay out when put out.
would you buy a toaster shaped like an f22 with an eject button on it? cause thats what i'm going for.

Cy83r

• Founder
  • It's Shooowtime!
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2014, 06:15:24 pm »
backdraft is when a fire burns itself low on breathables in a closed room but still has more than enough material to combust so the flames smother and suck what little oxygen it can through cracks in door frames until a window breaks or a door opens and it roars out with the sudden influx of fresh air into the system- I remember there was an old firefighter movie called Backdraft.
Jibreel: Yeah but [Hufer] that's like [Axis] complaining that his Toyota Camry is stuck in the mud and you responding "Well my M1 Abrams doesn't seem to be having much trouble."

Commander Jackson

• Founder
  • Lazy dev E.M.T.
  • Ex astris, scientia
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2014, 07:45:10 pm »
While I do have traumatic memories of my finest FTL runs ending in burning death...  I think this is a good idea.  And I thought this was already planned.
Gabe has a wraith? That explains so much.

Aaron

• BR Developer
  • Creative Director, ZanMgt
  • Available on the IRC from 9:00am to 5:00pm (EST)
    • http://www.zanmgt.com
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2014, 03:44:27 pm »
Quote from: Commander Jackson
And I thought this was already planned.

Not sure about full propagation.  Theoretically it could be put into the same pass as the liquids though.
Stop by the IRC and say Hi! -- Online Dev Chat

monn45888

• Founder
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2014, 07:27:20 pm »
I wouldn't want the fire too realistic, because I like stuff burning down :3. But it could be easier to extinguish it.

Commander Jackson

• Founder
  • Lazy dev E.M.T.
  • Ex astris, scientia
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2014, 08:50:11 pm »
I wouldn't want the fire too realistic, because I like stuff burning down :3. But it could be easier to extinguish it.

WHY!!!??!?!?!?!?!?

Cy83r

• Founder
  • It's Shooowtime!
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2014, 08:57:30 pm »
Not sure about full propagation.  Theoretically it could be put into the same pass as the liquids though.
Maybe have it act like an contrabaryonic liquid (it falls away from gravity effects instead of towards them but gets blown around normally) and transforms itself into smoke and heat (damage) when it makes contact with fuel sources and atmosphere... blobs?

Has fuel? Good
Fuel is at combustion temperature? Okay, check for atmo
Has Atmo? Okay, start fire
Has Fire? Okay, make smoke
Still has Fuel? Okay, check for atmo
No Has Atmo? Okay, run half-life, turn fire into heat over valve time
We has Atmo Now? Okay, check fuel temperature
Has Lots of Hot Fuel? Okay, make lots of fire
Has no room for lots of fire? Okay, spill fire everywhere!
Fire is on peoples? Okay, peoples is fuel, add heat until they make more fire

MRC

• Founder
  • Knows dev CPR
  • Mental breakdown in progress...
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2014, 09:06:22 pm »

Would make sense, it could flow inside room as a "liquid" and spawn fire particles on contact with a surface.

Otherwise I like the idea but I'm not convinced to have fire, in any form, destroying blocks on it's own. For one, a bit counter intuitive with ships mostly made of metal and the like. Then there's it makes them either unmanageable in certain case, creeping far out of reach within the walls, and no threat at all in other cases if they burn trough the hull and vent themselves out.

I think the better implementation would be to have fires creep within rooms without damaging them via block removal. You could keep them under control by shutting down the doors until you're ready to vent or extinguish them.
With love.  ~MRC

Commander Jackson

• Founder
  • Lazy dev E.M.T.
  • Ex astris, scientia
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2014, 09:45:03 pm »
I think the better implementation would be to have fires creep within rooms without damaging them via block removal. You could keep them under control by shutting down the doors until you're ready to vent or extinguish them.

So essentially FTL: Faster Than Light?

MRC

• Founder
  • Knows dev CPR
  • Mental breakdown in progress...
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2014, 10:19:43 pm »
Pretty much, but it could be more challenging to manage from first person perspective as opposed to top down. Having to run all around the ship just to locate the fire sounds pretty neat. :P
With love.  ~MRC

Commander Jackson

• Founder
  • Lazy dev E.M.T.
  • Ex astris, scientia
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2014, 10:29:59 pm »
Pretty much, but it could be more challenging to manage from first person perspective as opposed to top down. Having to run all around the ship just to locate the fire sounds pretty neat. :P

Did you not look at this?

Voltaire

• Founder
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2014, 05:26:59 am »

I assume you still mean that it would cause weakening of armour, disabling / damage to critical systems (power conduits, computers etc), risk detonation of fuel and destruction of goods if left unchecked? :)