Author Topic: What will be the range differences between certain weapons?  (Read 4818 times)

Czorio

• Founder
  • Residential nutbag
    • Youtube Channel
Re: What will be the range differences between certain weapons?
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2014, 02:42:20 pm »
Saturn 2spooky4me
"If you're in an equal fight, your tactics suck."

http://www.youtube.com/user/czorio4

MRC

• Founder
  • Knows dev CPR
  • Mental breakdown in progress...
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2014, 03:28:29 pm »
I remember watching a few videos like this long ago. Pulsars are especially... "interesting" to hear, they can sound like footsteps or a demented runaway hell-train.
With love.  ~MRC

Aaron

• BR Developer
  • Creative Director, ZanMgt
  • Available on the IRC from 9:00am to 5:00pm (EST)
    • http://www.zanmgt.com
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2014, 03:39:49 pm »
@Iago

Probably too spooky, but Micah and I were wondering if we might use the planetary sounds as a background element for the different solar systems.  Just to give them each their own subtle feel.
Stop by the IRC and say Hi! -- Online Dev Chat

Cy83r

• Founder
  • It's Shooowtime!
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2014, 07:25:22 pm »
Space combat in the EM spectrum made audible: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgF9ZlI_R-8

Scanners, ECM suites, Comms bands, laser pulses, I can imagine them all in this track.
Jibreel: Yeah but [Hufer] that's like [Axis] complaining that his Toyota Camry is stuck in the mud and you responding "Well my M1 Abrams doesn't seem to be having much trouble."

Aaron

• BR Developer
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2014, 08:57:45 pm »
@Cy83r

Hah, excellent find! ^.^

TeliUmbrarum

• Founder
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2014, 02:38:52 pm »
So much cool stuff in this thread.

I'd like to register my vote in favor of long-range/extreme-range combat, at least for large ships. If the main gun on my flag ship has a range measured in moon diameters, I'd like to be able to apply that. Broadside range combat is great for movies and all...

It also occurs to me that point defense weapons will be a necessity. Anything bigger than a fighter would have no hope of dodging a weapon that is almost always as maneuverable and faster than a fighter.

Cy83r

• Founder
  • It's Shooowtime!
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2014, 07:51:53 pm »
What about broadsides exchanged at ranges measured in lunar diameters?

I see point-defence setups, how fast they can move, how accurate their automated fire, being very important in determining the minimum size of starfighters.  On one hand, 'turbolaser' point defense results in really light and zippy starfighters that can outmaneuver or at least avoid most of the PDS fire, while cheap guided missiles and scan-hit lasers mean a starfighter becomes more of a Homeworld-esque attack boat with real meat on its frame, enough crewmen to fill a subaru, and plenty of room for secondary mission systems.
Jibreel: Yeah but [Hufer] that's like [Axis] complaining that his Toyota Camry is stuck in the mud and you responding "Well my M1 Abrams doesn't seem to be having much trouble."

RLS0812

• Founder
  • Captain of the SS Clueless
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2014, 03:09:02 am »
In World War 2, ships fired on each other OVER the curvature of the earth - meaning no one was able to see the other .
 It is not unthinkable that I could fire a kinetic weapon from over a light year away, and have a chance of hitting your stationary base ...

My YouTube Channel Filled With Geek, Nerd, Politics, Economics, & More ! 
[Click Here]

Cy83r

• Founder
  • It's Shooowtime!
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2014, 05:35:37 am »
In World War 2, ships fired on each other OVER the curvature of the earth - meaning no one was able to see the other .
 It is not unthinkable that I could fire a kinetic weapon from over a light year away, and have a chance of hitting your stationary base ...

Lightyear... maybe not simply because of time constraints... unless you're launching hyperdrive bombs a la Sins of Solar Empire.  But lightseconds? oh yeah, there's three or four lightseconds distance between the earth and the moon, plenty of room for interstellar arty.

Aaron

• BR Developer
« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2014, 12:22:41 am »
We'd like for combat ranges to hang around the visual range of 5-100km.   For super-sniping, it might be interesting if you could fire at ships at a much, much longer range over the map screen -- but I'd like for there to be a different sort of penalty.

Ideally, I'd say maybe have it be "loud".  Explanation on how it is "loud" is needed =P .  The idea would be that you can snipe, but it makes everyone in a large amounts of AU's aware of your presence.

Otherwise
« Last Edit: November 02, 2014, 09:28:44 pm by Aaron »

MRC

• Founder
  • Knows dev CPR
  • Mental breakdown in progress...
« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2014, 03:23:10 am »
Personally I would like a severe inaccuracy be the penalty at extreme ranges for a more spray-and-pray style of bombardment. Just look so much more impressive to have hundreds of shells flying by than an occasional shell hitting without warning.

Shelling > Sniping.  ;D
With love.  ~MRC

Cy83r

• Founder
  • It's Shooowtime!
« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2014, 06:23:53 pm »
Personally I would like a severe inaccuracy be the penalty at extreme ranges for a more spray-and-pray style of bombardment. Just look so much more impressive to have hundreds of shells flying by than an occasional shell hitting without warning.

Shelling > Sniping.  ;D
Agreed, blame it some PSBS like... "emergent distortions in long-range positioning due to passive fluctuations in the FTL drive fields that occur even while put into low-power hiberantion/powered down" having occassion for 'off-the-map' saturation fire from a squadron of dreadnoughts would be cash