Author Topic: Discussing about Space Engineers in various ways.  (Read 4060 times)

Me2005

• Founder
  • Contributor
Re: Discussing about Space Engineers in various ways.
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2014, 07:14:16 pm »
I think SE tries to do that as well, but watching recent videos it seems the design focus is being complicated, though maybe not exactly hampered, by the crafting system for each block.

Yeah, no crafting should be necessary. Things are going to get complex enough. Building ships should involve these steps:
1) Design ship in editor (Optionally, skip and use someone else's design)
2) Choose ship at shipyard to see cost of said ship
3) Go mine ore, ship goods, carry passengers, hunt pirates, etc. etc. for money
4) Purchase ship from yard with money from aforementioned work
But you were dead a thousand times. Hopeless encounters successfully won. A man long dead, grafted to machines your builders did not understand. You follow the path, fitting into an infinite pattern. Yours to manipulate, to create and rebuild.

I know who you are.

You are destiny.

Cy83r

• Founder
  • It's Shooowtime!
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2014, 07:51:58 pm »
Aye, let start-up design worry about actual components require to make any particular system block, but make ship fabricators easy to make and take that whole system of component crafting out from under your hands and only require raw materials, kind of like how the welding in SE takes everything it needs from your inventory except go further and make it craft everything it needs from raw materials in your inventory or use a super-tech energy-to-matter device to fabricate even the raw materials from a massive reactor.

Iunno, it'd be a cool reason to have some nasty Solenite NPC faction eating realspace stars for the energy to power their solenium-enhanced super-machines
Jibreel: Yeah but [Hufer] that's like [Axis] complaining that his Toyota Camry is stuck in the mud and you responding "Well my M1 Abrams doesn't seem to be having much trouble."

Bladecatcher

• Founder
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2014, 06:01:35 pm »
To demonstrate my problem with SE, consider this: They are coming out with an Xbox One version of the game, along with a physical retail version. Yet, this is the only game I can think of with absolutely no NPCs or AI at all. Outside of multiplayer, there is nothing to shoot or to shoot at you. Single player is mostly pointless.

Also, no joystick support.

Aaron

• BR Developer
  • Creative Director, ZanMgt
  • Available on the IRC from 9:00am to 5:00pm (EST)
    • http://www.zanmgt.com
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2014, 10:32:02 am »
@Bladecatcher

Although SE has made some dough (Approx. $7-10 million to date!), I get the feeling Marek Rosa & Co. are trying to build the funds high enough to really make a full game out of it.  The first part of a voxel game is easy; just make some blocks that are destructible and call it gaem.  The next part is time consuming and expensive, since the voxels require a large amount of attention from both a gameplay and technology perspective, eating up unusual swaths of development.

There's a reason why AAA's haven't really touched voxels yet.  ::)
Stop by the IRC and say Hi! -- Online Dev Chat

RLS0812

• Founder
  • Captain of the SS Clueless
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2014, 07:59:43 pm »
Of the dozens of "MineCraft In Space" games, Space Engineers is the current leader in both physics and damage .
( ScrumbleShip has better weapons damage system ) .

SE is turning into an "arena fighting" game with space ships, which I find to be fun and challenging .

Edit: some of my predictions are coming true in SE - large ships are  playing a "support" role instead of active combat as they are easily disabled from fast agile small ships .
« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 08:02:13 pm by RLS0812 »

My YouTube Channel Filled With Geek, Nerd, Politics, Economics, & More ! 
[Click Here]

MRC

• Founder
  • Knows dev CPR
  • Mental breakdown in progress...
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2014, 01:30:08 am »
If SE is going the way of the arena combat, it's mechanics are absolutely nor fit for purpose as of now. The two biggest problems are the complete incompetence of defensive turrets1 and your absolute dependency on exposed, fragile equipment. If you start without spare parts, if any player sneak2 in and grind 10% of either your starting generator, assembler, refinery or, to some extent, suit power supply, you're done, nothing you can do.

I think the best way SE could handle arena-style survivals would be to make sure teams start in heavily, and I do mean heavily, fortified positions. Something that can effectively cover vital components and ward off early assaults while everyone get production going. Early combat would consist of trying to take down mining craft wandering away from the bases' cover and would lead up to organized strikes with large ships backing up attack crafts.

Now that's something I'd like. And it would be possible if turrets weren't such terrible shots1.

1 Point-perfect accuracy only mean they miss reliably.
2 Stealth not actually required.
With love.  ~MRC

RLS0812

• Founder
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2014, 11:42:18 pm »
@MRC

There are no arena survival servers right now.
 We just build our own ships in "creative" mode, than past them into a combat server .
A "match" usually has 3 - 5 rounds, with up to 8 players ( largest group I have seen is 12 at once ) .

[Click Here]

MRC

• Founder
  • Knows dev CPR
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2014, 12:20:20 pm »
There are no arena survival servers right now.
 We just build our own ships in "creative" mode, than past them into a combat server .
A "match" usually has 3 - 5 rounds, with up to 8 players ( largest group I have seen is 12 at once ) .

I checked this claim out of curiosity. Out of 350 servers, 300 were survival and of them 55 directly advertise themselves as PvP and/or faction oriented, additionally they have very high player presence compared to everything else. The remaining 250 had very undescriptive descriptions(...), we could assume 50% of them to have faction and/or PvP elements to some degrees.

So the "Arena survival" style is very popular, which is why it's such a shame that it's so poorly implemented. A guide I read on the matter of PvP and Free-for-all survival instructed players to choose a totally random point on the skybox and move no less than 100Km away from the playing area in order to even have a chance of playing. Anything less would mean a player would find you and end your game right there, because of how dependent you are of very vulnerable equipments. That's 30+ minutes of travel time for every mining run, If that's the base requirement to play multiplayer survival, I'll pass.

If SE goes for either a free-for-all or a arena focus it severely need mechanics and features to support it. It needs a much larger/infinite playing area (zone with resources), some competent early defense, less dependency on bulky, vulnerable equipments ...etc.
With love.  ~MRC

RLS0812

• Founder
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2014, 07:15:58 pm »
Were they hay did you find a list of servers at ? ( I get into combat matches with folks I know ) .

[Click Here]

MRC

• Founder
  • Knows dev CPR
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2014, 08:32:53 pm »
It was the in-game dedicated server list, the "server" tab in the "join" menu.  :P
With love.  ~MRC

Bladecatcher

• Founder
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2014, 10:18:16 pm »
This is exactly my point. They keep adding stuff to the game, but stopped at the most basic of game elements. It requires too much effort on the player's part to have any fun.