Author Topic: Games you want to share.  (Read 3754 times)

MRC

• Founder
  • Knows dev CPR
  • Mental breakdown in progress...
Games you want to share.
« on: May 21, 2014, 02:02:01 pm »
Hey guys,

After "(GAME TIME) A some what impossible task" somewhat derailed from game suggestions, I wondered what interesting games you guys could share on the forum. So I decided to start a game suggestions topic of my own.
No filters here, just tell us the games you think deserve some attention from the other members. Also put a link to some info on the game if you can for quick browsing.
Bonus points for obscure games no one might have heard of.

My starting suggestions would be:
Hammerfight, with a truly unique swordfight mechanic, a must try. Demo available
Starsector. A superb game, even in alpha. No demo but do give it a look.
Talked about those two before but they deserve another mention.

Those are mostly interesting oddity you might want to take a looks at:
Kenshi. A weird mix of RPG, survival, town builder and RTS in a massive open world. Demo available
Cortex Command. Pretty much Worms in real time. The game allow you to do really silly things, it doesn't care at all.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2014, 02:20:24 pm by MRC »
With love.  ~MRC

Me2005

• Founder
  • Contributor
Re: Games you want to share.
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2014, 03:23:36 pm »
Titanfall. I know it's been super-over-hyped, but I feel it deserves at least a play for trying to get away from the current standard shooter setup. Oh, and it's also out for the 360 you probably already own.

What I like about it is that it's approachable like CoD or Halo (probably more so than CoD, I hear online play for that can get pretty devestating and I did OK as a noob in this), but there's some depth there beyond either of those games. Being able to move freely throughout the environment (akin to a jedi in Battlefront) is a fun distinction against other modern shooters, but so are the Titans. Rather than being indestructible rewards for working hard/running fast/finding the tank for your team/etc.; they're more like killstreak bonuses that every player gets at least once per round (every 3:00 in standard combat/point rounds IIRC, in attrition everyone starts with one). And they're super-destructible, I think I lost more titans than lives - every player and NPC has an anti-titan weapon they can pull out whenever they want. Getting the tank in Halo first meant everyone else looses, getting in a Titan first usually means getting ejected after a kill or two. The weapon selection is parred down, which I like personally, and each weapon feels like it has a place and a use. The smart pistol is a great way to level the playing field for people who aren't UBER LEET FPS players (It'll lock on to all NPCs and Players in your field of view and range; pulling the trigger insta-kills NPCs and, given enough lock time, can insta-kill players).

The fact that it's beautifully presented on whichever machine you play on doesn't hurt either.
But you were dead a thousand times. Hopeless encounters successfully won. A man long dead, grafted to machines your builders did not understand. You follow the path, fitting into an infinite pattern. Yours to manipulate, to create and rebuild.

I know who you are.

You are destiny.

Strait Raider

• It's "Strait", as in the body of water.
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2014, 05:30:57 pm »
Spec Ops: The Line.

I get the feeling that this game is still being overlooked despite its pretty good media coverage. It seems on the surface to be another standard gung-ho military shooter, but it ain't. To say which famous novel it was inspired by would be a bit of a spoiler, but it definitely spins its own distinct tale. The story and the way it is told is the star here. It's like being punched in the throat with narrative. In a good way.

The action itself is tight and competent. It's nothing groundbreaking, but it doesn't make many mistakes either. It's good enough for what it does. In my opinion, the game would still be worth playing if the gameplay was terrible.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2014, 05:37:28 pm by Strait Raider »

Commander Jackson

• Founder
  • Lazy dev E.M.T.
  • Ex astris, scientia
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2014, 06:03:07 pm »
Faster Than Light: Advanced Edition : an amazing space RPG.  I know it got a lot of attention when it first came out but with it's new free expansion it is even better!  I've spent days playing this game! It has a great soundtrack!
Gabe has a wraith? That explains so much.

Concore

• Founder
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2014, 07:53:43 pm »
I got two games I want to talk about.

Distant Worlds: http://www.codeforce.co.nz/

Distant Worlds is a 4X RTS game that lets you control a intergalactic empire.  I find the scale of the game its main feature.  You can have a map that has 1200 stars and over 40000 asteroids,  planets and moons.  You can quite literally have over 1000 ships in your empire that's all doing something at once.  The game overcomes you needing to constantly make decisions by letting everything be micro manageable, which lets you do anything you want, like being a evil dictator or captain of the USS Enterprise.  It has 3 expansions that all add new and fun stuff to the game.  But the downside to all of this is that the original game is REALY glichy and without the Return of the Shakturi expansion its not all that stable.  Also since the fan base is so small the games are expensive for their prices .  I recommend wating for the Universe expansion to come out as it will have the original game and all the expansions after it.  I still recommend taking a look at it if you like strategy games.

Battlestations Pacific: http://strategywiki.org/wiki/Battlestations:_Pacific

Though CmndrMarcsBirger has all ready mentioned this, I sill think its a good game to take a look at.  The game lets you command a fleet of warships in the pacific in WW2 in a RTS fashion.  You can play as ether the US or Japan in battles that can be for 30-60 minutes long with you being able to command and CONTROL over 50 ships and planes.  So if you want to use your battleship to manually shell a machinegun bunker a mile away, then you can do it.  If you want to take a squad of aircraft to torpedo a carrier, then you can do it.  If you  for some reason want to fly your B-17 low on the water to use your machineguns to destroy PT boats, then you can do it.  The campaign battles are ok and gets a lot of hours out of you.  I haven't tried much of the custom battles yet but I bet their ok too.  Its not the best RTS out their, but if you like strategy and/or action games, then you should give this a look.

Nautilus81

• Spacer
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2014, 08:14:11 pm »
3 somewhat underrated space games that I enjoy immensely:

X3: Albion Prelude (and by extension the X series, excluding X: Rebirth): One of the greatest trader/corporation builder games I've ever played. Combat is pretty good, story is alright, and the visuals are great as well.

Nexus: The Jupiter Incident: The classic Newtonian physics fleet command game, with a pretty good story to boot. Problem is, there's a distinct lack of of a skirmish mode. Still, game is very fun.

Lastly, Sword of the Stars 2: Yes, I know, that game. Extremely bad release aside, It's a very good empire builder, and the ship designer allows a massive amount of ship flexibility. Research works in an interesting way, and battles look amazing. Although it's still a bit of a patch job, it's well worth the $20-odd price tag
"Peace through superior cruiser design." -Unknown

Aaron

• BR Developer
  • Creative Director, ZanMgt
  • Available on the IRC from 9:00am to 5:00pm (EST)
    • http://www.zanmgt.com
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2014, 10:30:51 pm »
Battlestations Pacific: http://strategywiki.org/wiki/Battlestations:_Pacific

Though CmndrMarcsBirger has all ready mentioned this, I sill think its a good game to take a look at.  The game lets you command a fleet of warships in the pacific in WW2 in a RTS fashion.  You can play as ether the US or Japan in battles that can be for 30-60 minutes long with you being able to command and CONTROL over 50 ships and planes.  So if you want to use your battleship to manually shell a machinegun bunker a mile away, then you can do it.  If you want to take a squad of aircraft to torpedo a carrier, then you can do it.  If you  for some reason want to fly your B-17 low on the water to use your machineguns to destroy PT boats, then you can do it.  The campaign battles are ok and gets a lot of hours out of you.  I haven't tried much of the custom battles yet but I bet their ok too.  Its not the best RTS out their, but if you like strategy and/or action games, then you should give this a look.

We love Battlestation's Pacific but can't seem to get it to work without either getting stuck in the menu or crashing with our newer Windows 7 PC's.  If you know of some way to resolve the crashing issues we'd be very much appreciative! :D :D :D

Edit:

And to contribute to this thread, I will add The Ur-Quan Masters (Star Control 2) to the roster of games!

http://sc2.sourceforge.net/

Screenshots

Combat in Ur-Quan Masters was interesting since each race's vehicles were completely unique!

Load up your mothership with your choice of shuttles & fighters.

Each solar system has visitable planets to extract resources from.

Determine which ships will lead the assault before engaging in combat!
« Last Edit: May 21, 2014, 10:38:57 pm by Aaron »
Stop by the IRC and say Hi! -- Online Dev Chat

MRC

• Founder
  • Knows dev CPR
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2014, 12:49:08 pm »
Distant Worlds...
Ohhh, that's something I'll have to keep an eye on. Hopefully it's not as impenetrable as it looks.

Also I really need to mention Stardrive here. While I don't own the game I've kept an eye on it for some time and what I see now is completely ridiculous...
The game is an amazing real-time 4X so incredibly polished and good looking you'd never think it was made by a single man. After completing the game and fixing all the technical issues, the developer, known as Zero on steam, moved on to develop Stardrive 2. This somehow provoked the most ridiculous and immature outrage I've ever seen from the steam community.
Hundreds, hundreds of "reviews" where created directly attacking the developer, calling him a sellout, a thief and accusing him of false advertisement and abandoning an "unfinished game". Most of them without even mentioning anything about the game itself. All because a handful of features where ditched somewhere in development yet stayed on Zero's personal website.

The community's attitude is sickening. The game looks incredible and that man alone has enough talent to compete with entire Triple-A studios. Give it a look, it deserve one after all that nonsense.
With love.  ~MRC

Czorio

• Founder
  • Residential nutbag
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2014, 02:00:09 pm »
Copypasta from the derailed thread.

Nexus is not really that kind of RTS though, it is more of a fleet commander game.

Also, how can you not like Eurotruck Simulator 2?

Anyway, here are some games in my Steam list that somewhat fit your criteria:

• X series (X3: Terran Conflict, X3: Albion Prelude, X: Rebirth)
  • Postal 2
  • The Doom series (I prefer Doom 3 over the others, it's less archaic)
  • KSP
  • Section 8: Prejudice (Pretty dead online though)
  • Metro series
  • FEAR 1
  • Mass Effect
  • Alpha Protocol
  • Red Faction: Guerrilla
  • Space Engineers
  • Solar 2
  • Sanctum 1 & 2
  • Q.U.B.E.
  • Antichamber
  • System Shock 2
  • STALKER
  • Deus Ex
Games that do not exactly fit your criteria, but that you may like:

• The Binding of Isaac
  • Flotilla
  • Gunpoint
  • Receiver
  • Rock of Ages
  • VVVVVV
  • Fallout 3 & New Vegas
  • Space 4X games like Sins of a Solar Empire, Endless Space, Galactic Civilizations and Sword of the Stars (If you don't consider Turn based strategy to be an RTS)
  • Dishonored
  • RAGE
  • Shattered Horizon (Online is dead)
  • Take on Mars
  • State of Decay
  • Starbound
  • IL-2 Sturmovik: 1946 (Does not fit in anywere, just wanted to advertise it some more)
"If you're in an equal fight, your tactics suck."

http://www.youtube.com/user/czorio4

Niwantaw

• Founder
  • Eternal Skipper O.Q
  • Grille'd
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2014, 04:23:49 pm »
Transistor that just came out is in a word... beautiful.
"God damnit why does everything have to be in sweedish? I don't understand shit"-Davee

<Strait_Raider> "The Big 4 could be equipped with a Bren gun or a 3 inch mortar..."
<Strait_Raider>That's like... my two favorite things.
     Put together.
     That's like... Kate Upton in a Tiger

Czorio

• Founder
  • Residential nutbag
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2014, 07:03:41 am »
... excluding X: Rebirth ...

Last patch added in different starts, and more stuffs. I think it is worth checking out again.

Patchnotes:
http://steamcommunity.com/games/2870/announcements/detail/1387418590636426607

DiscK

• Founder
  • Bigger on the Inside.
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2014, 09:47:25 pm »
Shores of Hazeron, most of the lag's been fixed and it's getting facelifted pretty hard right now.
"430rhgq3wr0g8hwroeihremaontweoittitsuoefaoinbrigroarg"
- Anonymous

Commander Jackson

• Founder
  • Lazy dev E.M.T.
  • Ex astris, scientia
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2014, 05:29:44 am »
Shores of Hazeron, most of the lag's been fixed and it's getting facelifted pretty hard right now.

So you are saying that this statement is no longer true?

Saying that Shores of Hazeron has gotten less laggy is like saying that the devil has gotten less evil. The lag is just as prominent as the day I started playing about 2 years ago.
Gabe has a wraith? That explains so much.

Czorio

• Founder
  • Residential nutbag
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2014, 07:19:27 am »
Played it for half an hour or so, lag still there. They ditched the grid system, which makes building a city so much iffier now.

little edit: They changed the designer it seems, looks nicer than the old one.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 07:33:45 am by Czorio »

MRC

• Founder
  • Knows dev CPR
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2014, 06:55:47 am »
More game for the list!  ;D

Check out Floating Point and World of Guns: Gun Disassembly. They're neat experiments more so than games but are free and quite enjoyable.

Floating Point is somewhat of a minigame where you use a grappling hook to fling yourself across and clear stages.
World of Guns: Gun Disassembly feels more complete and essentially teaches you the inner workings of various guns, as well as how to disassemble and reassemble them. Oddly enjoyable, maybe it's the mechanic in me having a good time messing around it.

Again, both are free. Have fun.  ;)
With love.  ~MRC