Author Topic: Bdx's wacky ideas 4/28/2014  (Read 2142 times)

BDX777

• Founder
Bdx's wacky ideas 4/28/2014
« on: April 28, 2014, 10:54:13 pm »
Wow it sure has been awhile since I last signed into this forum. I have some new ideas for Blockade Runner.

Planet ocean shipwrecks
Random crashed space ships and sunken boats and derelict alien motherships at the bottom of some planetary oceans.

Sea monsters
Adds challenge to looting ocean wrecks. I'm thinking giant megaladons or huge squids/kraken going out to 50 square feet in size, or some alien creature that's larger than you.

Hinge physics
I'm thinking catwalks that when shot at will flop on one hinge and enemies or enemy players in multiplayer would fall down from the catwalk.

Ledge climb
If you're close enough, you can climb up a ledge.

Swinging Lights attached to wire/rope
How about a place-able light that's attached to a rope and it swings about? Would be good for making a custom map that has a building on a planet and there's a light that can optionally cast shadows and it would be there mostly for atmosphere.

Btw... I can't update? It says it has to be signed but I don't know why it isn't??

Commander Jackson

• Founder
  • Lazy dev E.M.T.
  • Ex astris, scientia
Re: Bdx's wacky ideas 4/28/2014
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2014, 10:56:52 pm »

@Update

Go to the founders club.  Download one of the later builds.  It is very rough so you may want to keep you old version of BR until they get... Certain features running.
Gabe has a wraith? That explains so much.

BDX777

• Founder
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2014, 01:19:25 am »
@Update

Go to the founders club.  Download one of the later builds.  It is very rough so you may want to keep you old version of BR until they get... Certain features running.
Thxm8

Aaron

• BR Developer
  • Creative Director, ZanMgt
  • Available on the IRC from 9:00am to 5:00pm (EST)
    • http://www.zanmgt.com
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2014, 10:04:13 am »
Quote from: BDX777
Hinge physics
I'm thinking catwalks that when shot at will flop on one hinge and enemies or enemy players in multiplayer would fall down from the catwalk.

Swinging Lights attached to wire/rope
How about a place-able light that's attached to a rope and it swings about? Would be good for making a custom map that has a building on a planet and there's a light that can optionally cast shadows and it would be there mostly for atmosphere.

Mmm, a tad too expensive CPU-wise for BR.  We've got a lot of elements flying about, so we've got to be picky-choosey on what's going in.  That said, some creative modders might esperiment with it for lulz.

Planet ocean shipwrecks
Random crashed space ships and sunken boats and derelict alien motherships at the bottom of some planetary oceans.

Sea monsters
Adds challenge to looting ocean wrecks. I'm thinking giant megaladons or huge squids/kraken going out to 50 square feet in size, or some alien creature that's larger than you.

Neat, but we'll probably have to have scenarios like this be a community bounty project. =P

Ledge climb
If you're close enough, you can climb up a ledge.

It'd be neat, but usually games with "ledge climb" require level designers to specify specific ledge points.  Any example of this in a Minecraft-esque game?
Stop by the IRC and say Hi! -- Online Dev Chat

Voltaire

• Founder
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2014, 08:40:00 am »

It'd be neat, but usually games with "ledge climb" require level designers to specify specific ledge points.  Any example of this in a Minecraft-esque game?

[/quote]

Check out the video on the page:

http://www.minecraftings.com/smart-moving-mod/

Me2005

• Founder
  • Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2014, 03:33:07 pm »
Check out the video on the page:

http://www.minecraftings.com/smart-moving-mod/

While cool, I'm not sure that is what he meant. If you can climb everything, everyone would design to keep you from climbing into it; making it a moot feature. To make 'hang' or 'climb' points work well, they have to be integrated into the level design, and since we're the ones designing the levels...

In the world of MC, those added abilities definitely change the way the game works. If you added that plug to just any adventure map, you'd surely break it. In an otherwise vanilla map, you'd be breaking the 'balance,' such as it is(n't), but you/your server can play the way they want.

Also consider that the environment here is space, where sealed compartments make sense and you can already float in any direction; and not ground, where walls and fences keep things out because of gravity.
But you were dead a thousand times. Hopeless encounters successfully won. A man long dead, grafted to machines your builders did not understand. You follow the path, fitting into an infinite pattern. Yours to manipulate, to create and rebuild.

I know who you are.

You are destiny.

Strait Raider

• It's "Strait", as in the body of water.
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2014, 03:59:42 pm »
BDX, in the future please try to check for existing topics to put relevant info in (such as shipwrecks and alien creatures) and try to keep new threads to one topic idea, i.e. environmental embellishments (swinging catwalks and lights).

BDX777

• Founder
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2014, 07:06:46 pm »
Okay as for the hinge physics and rope lights... I was thinking they could be for planetary buildings and would disable at a certain distance on the client side. Maybe they could be for singleplayer maps only or there could be some other solution. For the shadow part, couldn't that be an optional feature? And with an optional feature in place, perhaps there could be another version of the light that doesn't cast shadows for map makers that also wanna optimize.

For the climbing, this will be tricky on moving ships as I can imagine... I was thinking about planets while making these ideas, but I can see a solution of manually determining climb points on ships, and having a more dynamic and flexible climb mode for planets, while still being able to determine climb and no-climb points if the level designer wishes to control that.

Also I'm thinking maybe a user can import custom meshes and turn them into place-able objects for their map and ship and this way I can make a chair and put it inside a building and then make a table and then have a bottle to put on the table and all that..

Oh and new idea: Mech parts. Giant walking robots raising hell on a planet and ships are flying overhead doing carpet bombs with lasers and just demolishing the planet and it's buildings. Maybe buildings can tip over and harm other buildings and knock mechs over and it will just be like the BF4 we never had.
This game has so much potential. I predict an RP mod like DarkRP..  ;D

Strait Raider

• It's "Strait", as in the body of water.
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2014, 08:54:37 am »
Oh and new idea: Mech parts. Giant walking robots raising hell on a planet and ships are flying overhead doing carpet bombs with lasers and just demolishing the planet and it's buildings. Maybe buildings can tip over and harm other buildings and knock mechs over and it will just be like the BF4 we never had.
This game has so much potential. I predict an RP mod like DarkRP..  ;D

BDX, in the future please try to check for existing topics to put relevant info in and try to keep new threads to one topic idea.

This isn't even the first "BDX's wacky ideas, because he's more important than everyone else and deserves his own thread" thread!
« Last Edit: May 01, 2014, 08:58:29 am by Strait Raider »

Aaron

• BR Developer
  • Creative Director, ZanMgt
  • Available on the IRC from 9:00am to 5:00pm (EST)
    • http://www.zanmgt.com
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2014, 10:46:08 am »
While cool, I'm not sure that is what he meant. If you can climb everything, everyone would design to keep you from climbing into it; making it a moot feature. To make 'hang' or 'climb' points work well, they have to be integrated into the level design, and since we're the ones designing the levels...

In the world of MC, those added abilities definitely change the way the game works. If you added that plug to just any adventure map, you'd surely break it. In an otherwise vanilla map, you'd be breaking the 'balance,' such as it is(n't), but you/your server can play the way they want.

Also consider that the environment here is space, where sealed compartments make sense and you can already float in any direction; and not ground, where walls and fences keep things out because of gravity.

And ultimately we'd want such "wall hanging / climbing" to be a little tighter than what's demonstrated in the mod.

Also I'm thinking maybe a user can import custom meshes and turn them into place-able objects for their map and ship and this way I can make a chair and put it inside a building and then make a table and then have a bottle to put on the table and all that..

This is going to be possible, to a degree.  Anything custom made would only be apart of your server, however.
Stop by the IRC and say Hi! -- Online Dev Chat