Author Topic: Shield stuff, Design Theory and Console Control  (Read 1255 times)

CyrusBlack

• Founder
  • Very Grumpy Man.
Shield stuff, Design Theory and Console Control
« on: April 11, 2014, 09:17:39 pm »
couldnt post to an existing forum thread, apearently my copy paste from teh google docs is causing errors. will be a few minutes before i rewrite and format the data.

id like to preface that i originally designed this for my own game, then modded it to fit into BR better.

Spoiler

Strait_Raider: Spoiler'd large image, corrected spelling of "sheild" :P
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 03:36:36 pm by CyrusBlack »

Patience is a Virtue

Czorio

• Founder
  • Residential nutbag
    • Youtube Channel
Re: Sheild stuff
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2014, 07:46:04 am »
"Leftward"? Don't you mean Port? Top is Dorsal and Bottom is Ventral.

Also, The opposite of 450GHz == 450GHz, just half a phase ahead or back. This would only cancel out the shield where it hits, but not penetrate it. φ == φ would put it in phase, but potentially enhance the local strength.

I'd add ablative shielding to the list, ablative (physical shielding) vaporizes itself to dissipate the incoming energy away from the things it is trying to protect.
"If you're in an equal fight, your tactics suck."

http://www.youtube.com/user/czorio4

CyrusBlack

• Founder
  • Very Grumpy Man.
Re: Shield stuff
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2014, 02:59:46 pm »
"Leftward"? Don't you mean Port? Top is Dorsal and Bottom is Ventral.

Also, The opposite of 450GHz == 450GHz, just half a phase ahead or back. This would only cancel out the shield where it hits, but not penetrate it. φ == φ would put it in phase, but potentially enhance the local strength.

I'd add ablative shielding to the list, ablative (physical shielding) vaporizes itself to dissipate the incoming energy away from the things it is trying to protect.

i couldnt recall the actual names of various directions in a ship, so i just threw out direct names  "left facing direction " and stuff. ill fix that as i get around to making it a more solidified idea.
as far as ablative goes, that would be a type of "sheath" shield one that hugs the armor of a ship. least, thats what i think your getting at. if its ablative in the other sense, then it woudl fall under an armor type, and therefore be out of the scope of the sheild mechanics and scope of the console.

thanks for the good ideas and feedback

Patience is a Virtue

Aaron

• BR Developer
  • Creative Director, ZanMgt
  • Available on the IRC from 9:00am to 5:00pm (EST)
    • http://www.zanmgt.com
Re: Shield stuff, Design Theory and Console Control
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2014, 10:05:43 am »
I like it (particularly the shield frequency manipulation), but I feel for a vanilla BR we'd need something a little more... "condensed" and intuitive for its terminal screen.

However, that's my preference.  Best to experiment with the complicated and work your way down (form follows function), so it looks like it'd be an interesting mechanic (with all the little nobs and buttons) to experiment with in BR. ^^
Stop by the IRC and say Hi! -- Online Dev Chat

MRC

• Founder
  • Knows dev CPR
  • Mental breakdown in progress...
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2014, 03:52:38 pm »
I'm really into the idea of directional shields as well, especially if transferring power takes a long time. It give a chance for small maneuverable ships to find a role in combat against the inevitable onslaught of behemoths.

I feel a full coverage would take the fights away from skill and tactics and make it all about numbers and whose shield overload first.

Overall these ideas get a big thumb up from me.  ;)
« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 08:16:00 pm by MRC »
With love.  ~MRC

Commander Jackson

• Founder
  • Lazy dev E.M.T.
  • Ex astris, scientia
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2014, 03:57:23 pm »
I'm really into the idea of directional shields as well, especially if transferring power takes a long time. It give a chance for small maneuverable ships to find a role in combat against the inevitable onslaught of behemoths.

I feel a full coverage would take the fights away from skill and tactics and make it all about numbers and whose shield overload first.

Overall these ideas get a big thumb up from me.  ;)

I agree.
Gabe has a wraith? That explains so much.