Author Topic: Creature List(or something)  (Read 8036 times)

theallmightybob

• Founder
  • Sleep is for the weak.
Re: Creature List(or something)
« Reply #45 on: December 16, 2014, 04:09:48 pm »
I still always liked the idea of some sort of giant space amoeba. but it wouldn't be something a player would deal with on foot normally. they would maybe sit there waiting, looking like an asteroid from the outside, when something large with enough energy comes by (see space ship) they spring to life and suddenly instead of an asteroid you have a wriggling mass of space amoeba attempting to envelope and dissolve your ship, feeding off its energy.
would you buy a toaster shaped like an f22 with an eject button on it? cause thats what i'm going for.

Strait Raider

• It's "Strait", as in the body of water.
« Reply #46 on: December 16, 2014, 05:57:03 pm »
I still always liked the idea of some sort of giant space amoeba. but it wouldn't be something a player would deal with on foot normally. they would maybe sit there waiting, looking like an asteroid from the outside, when something large with enough energy comes by (see space ship) they spring to life and suddenly instead of an asteroid you have a wriggling mass of space amoeba attempting to envelope and dissolve your ship, feeding off its energy.

I think this has a fantastic amount of potential. I for one think that these creatures should have a Lovecraftian bent - unknowable, unpredictable, and undefeatable from the perspective of a human.

Think of some potential mechanics.

1) It doesn't matter how big, how powerful your ship is, this thing could reduce it to exotic matter and shattered souls in seconds. Weapons that can crack moons don't even scratch it. Your only (probably) safe bet is to run.

2) It's AI could be unpredictable. Sometimes a miner might work for hours without even noticing it is there, other times it might attack anything within a thousand kilometers with no provocation.

3) Its reactions could instead be based on the power or size of ship nearby. Smaller mining ships, maybe even very small warships might not draw its ire, but any powered-up raider would be struck down with impunity. Perhaps local miners even revere them as protectors. It could also provide some interesting moments trying to sneak a ship past by coasting through while powered down.

4) I like the idea of having them appear to be asteroids externally as well. Imagine coasting close past a multi-kilometer asteroid when suddenly an eyeball opens up which dwarfs your ship, or a kilometer-long tentacle unfurls to scratch its back.

theallmightybob

• Founder
  • Sleep is for the weak.
« Reply #47 on: December 17, 2014, 02:32:32 am »
I think this has a fantastic amount of potential. I for one think that these creatures should have a Lovecraftian bent - unknowable, unpredictable, and undefeatable from the perspective of a human.

Think of some potential mechanics.

1) It doesn't matter how big, how powerful your ship is, this thing could reduce it to exotic matter and shattered souls in seconds. Weapons that can crack moons don't even scratch it. Your only (probably) safe bet is to run.

2) It's AI could be unpredictable. Sometimes a miner might work for hours without even noticing it is there, other times it might attack anything within a thousand kilometers with no provocation.

3) Its reactions could instead be based on the power or size of ship nearby. Smaller mining ships, maybe even very small warships might not draw its ire, but any powered-up raider would be struck down with impunity. Perhaps local miners even revere them as protectors. It could also provide some interesting moments trying to sneak a ship past by coasting through while powered down.

4) I like the idea of having them appear to be asteroids externally as well. Imagine coasting close past a multi-kilometer asteroid when suddenly an eyeball opens up which dwarfs your ship, or a kilometer-long tentacle unfurls to scratch its back.

its like the blockade runner version of a creeper in my eyes, something that makes you go "oh shit" once and a while :P
would you buy a toaster shaped like an f22 with an eject button on it? cause thats what i'm going for.

Czorio

• Founder
  • Residential nutbag
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #48 on: December 17, 2014, 04:14:05 am »
They'd have to be quite rare or it'd be the Minecraft Silverfish all over again.
"If you're in an equal fight, your tactics suck."

http://www.youtube.com/user/czorio4

Strait Raider

• It's "Strait", as in the body of water.
« Reply #49 on: December 17, 2014, 10:58:12 am »
its like the blockade runner version of a creeper in my eyes, something that makes you go "oh shit" once and a while :P

I guess I don't really find creepers that alarming. Once you know how to deal with them I find they're just an annoyance.

I want something that can inspire some real terror!

Cy83r

• Founder
  • It's Shooowtime!
« Reply #50 on: December 17, 2014, 09:28:34 pm »
Taking a page out of the arthopodian horror, the chwidencha/chchwednia, what if they used reactors, capacitors, and batteries to incubate their eggs?

Further, tie their activty and aggression to solar seasons, the population is less aggressive but more active during solar flares and far more aggressive when the local star goes into the winter cycle but you rarely see them outside of attacks?

Solar Cycle
Spring [waning risk of attack]: growth
Summer [lowest risk of attack]: migration
Fall [rising risk of attack]: breeding
Winter [highest risk of attack]: hibernation and opportunistic feeding
Jibreel: Yeah but [Hufer] that's like [Axis] complaining that his Toyota Camry is stuck in the mud and you responding "Well my M1 Abrams doesn't seem to be having much trouble."

Iago

• Founder
  • Keep calm and charge the FTL drive
« Reply #51 on: December 18, 2014, 08:18:50 am »
Could you describe their appearance/capabilities?
Superbia mentis potens in armis.

Cy83r

• Founder
  • It's Shooowtime!
« Reply #52 on: December 18, 2014, 08:22:05 pm »
I was just suggesting for the asteroid amoeba behavior, but hey.

Arthropods: thick carapace adapted for microgravity and vacuum, joints extremely thin to remain flexible
PreCambrian Nightmare: legs everywhere, like seraphic angels who had so many wings they would cover their mind-breakingly beauteous forms, legs upon legs hide the fang-filled pustule that is its body
Breeds in Ships: like the amoeboids, Chwidencha use active reactors to incubate their young but will settle for a longer incubation by simply lodging an egg into larger powerlines and relying on the current
Explosive Breeding: their oviposition is nothing short of biological warfare, the central body explodes and proppells one or more self-guided eggs at the victim's ship, if more than one makes it to the host vessel, a few of the eggs will hatch early and live short horriffic lifespans hunting down the crew and tearing apart foodstuffs in the holds in preparation for their laterborn sibling(s) and, if bested, explode into a caustic soup and spread toxic vapors to a large portion of the interior
Hibernation: their natural growth cycle is a very long process that stymies the worst effects of their cancerous bodyplan and relies on cometary cycles to bring them close enough to a star to grow over several years and feed on the native microorganisms; naturally born Chwidencha aren't as terrifyingly deformed as their ship-borne brethren, but they're no less vicious when a ship does pass by and pique their instincts
Gravity Sensitive: being capable of growing to human size or greater, Chwidencha are actually horribly sensitive to even lunar gravities and tend to suffer injuries from merely moving faster than a crawl in earth-like conditions, although any atmosphere thick enough to support the average spacefarer is like jet fuel for the Chwidencha giving them the capacity for brutal strength and speed at the cost of tearing themselves apart.
Jibreel: Yeah but [Hufer] that's like [Axis] complaining that his Toyota Camry is stuck in the mud and you responding "Well my M1 Abrams doesn't seem to be having much trouble."

Czorio

• Founder
  • Residential nutbag
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #53 on: September 12, 2016, 10:45:59 am »
Wyvern

And again, you necromancer.
"If you're in an equal fight, your tactics suck."

http://www.youtube.com/user/czorio4

Voltaire

• Founder
« Reply #54 on: September 12, 2016, 11:06:40 am »
In the not zombies vain from earlier;

Ships who's res-erection tech has malfunctioned due to causes unknown.  Continuously bringing back the demented, sometimes mall-formed crew over and over and over.  Fragmented minds patch worked together by an AI that time and circumstance has made as demented as they are.  Stuck in and endless loop, with the last words they uttered repeating on their lips, and idea twisted and redirected; "Do not be afraid. You are malfunctioning..and must be repaired." ..."You are malfunctioning..and must be repaired."..."You are malfunctioning..".   

Do not be afraid.  We will repair you...