Author Topic: Creature List(or something)  (Read 8358 times)

Aaron

• BR Developer
  • Creative Director, ZanMgt
  • Available on the IRC from 9:00am to 5:00pm (EST)
    • http://www.zanmgt.com
Stop by the IRC and say Hi! -- Online Dev Chat

Commander Jackson

• Founder
  • Lazy dev E.M.T.
  • Ex astris, scientia
Re: Creature List(or something)
« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2014, 10:07:24 pm »
Gabe has a wraith? That explains so much.

Iago

• Founder
  • Keep calm and charge the FTL drive
« Reply #32 on: November 23, 2014, 06:34:54 am »
How about Zombiebots?

The idea was taken from this Cortex Command mod http://forums.datarealms.com/viewtopic.php?f=61&t=17686

Basically, they tear apart anything made of metal to make new Zombots. They have drones that salvage, grunts that fight and lots of others. They salvage bits of spacecraft and use them as boarding/landing pods. They never mount weapons on their spaceships because they don't want to vaporize precious metal. Their spaceships only contain the bare minimums, because most of the metal has been used on new zombots. While they do have ranged weapons, they prefer claws to tear of armour and use it to repair themselves. Individually they are pretty stupid, but they are linked up via wi-fi sublight communications, forming a hive mind. (Maybe they can join together to form a giant walking battletank?)

EDIT:  Expansion time! While all the zombiebots are equipped with basic tools to repair themselves, they have a special Furnacebot (pic yet to be drawn) that collects materials from the battlefield and forges them into new bots. There is also a jetbot, which is used for aerial and astral combat. Armed with thermal cutting tools, they hijack planes and space fighters, kill the crew, and pilot them back to a base or spaceship for salvaging.

If the situation demands it (i.e. They found a city-world or something) they will build large engines of war, piloted normally by a crew of grunts and forges.

Beware, that piece of space junk is actually killer, self-repairing, self-replicating robots with giant claws!
« Last Edit: November 23, 2014, 02:42:56 pm by Iago »
Superbia mentis potens in armis.

theallmightybob

• Founder
  • Sleep is for the weak.
« Reply #33 on: November 23, 2014, 10:25:14 am »
How about Zombiebots?

The idea was taken from this Cortex Command mod http://forums.datarealms.com/viewtopic.php?f=61&t=17686

Basically, they tear apart anything made of metal to make new Zombots. They have drones that salvage, grunts that fight and lots of others. They salvage bits of spacecraft and use them as boarding/landing pods. They never mount weapons on their spaceships because they don't want to vaporize precious metal. Their spaceships only contain the bare minimums, because most of the metal has been used on new zombots. While they do have ranged weapons, they prefer claws to tear of armour and use it to repair themselves. Individually they are pretty stupid, but they are linked up via wi-fi sublight communications, forming a hive mind. (Maybe they can join together to form a giant walking battletank?)

Beware, that piece of space junk is actually killer, self-repairing, self-replicating robots with giant claws!

I  like it, reminds me a bit of the replicators from Star Gate, maybe some areas of space can be infested with these things.
would you buy a toaster shaped like an f22 with an eject button on it? cause thats what i'm going for.

Me2005

• Founder
  • Contributor
« Reply #34 on: November 24, 2014, 12:17:08 pm »
EDIT:  Expansion time! While all the zombiebots are equipped with basic tools to repair themselves, they have a special Furnacebot (pic yet to be drawn) that collects materials from the battlefield and forges them into new bots.

The pic suggests that they wouldn't need this, as they just use the material in whatever form it already is to slap new 'bots together. Maybe a spark or reactor bot that is giving them all life? Could look much more refined (probably with some 'tribal' scrap metal headband/neclase/etc. decoration) and be irreplaceable to any given tribe of 'bots, as it would be the thing actually making the bots (some ancient tech gone awry that is now making all these bots and wreaking havoc). Destroying the spark-bot doesn't kill live zombots, but prevents that group from making more new bots or resurrecting old ones.
But you were dead a thousand times. Hopeless encounters successfully won. A man long dead, grafted to machines your builders did not understand. You follow the path, fitting into an infinite pattern. Yours to manipulate, to create and rebuild.

I know who you are.

You are destiny.

Iago

• Founder
« Reply #35 on: November 24, 2014, 03:05:01 pm »
o_O

Aaron

• BR Developer
  • Creative Director, ZanMgt
  • Available on the IRC from 9:00am to 5:00pm (EST)
    • http://www.zanmgt.com
« Reply #36 on: November 24, 2014, 11:37:24 pm »
Mmm.  Not opposed to 'Zombie Bots' perse, but that doesn't quite instill the morbid fear zombies (are supposed to) bring about. =]
Stop by the IRC and say Hi! -- Online Dev Chat

Voltaire

• Founder
« Reply #37 on: December 08, 2014, 11:04:40 am »
Mmm.  Not opposed to 'Zombie Bots' perse, but that doesn't quite instill the morbid fear zombies (are supposed to) bring about. =]

Until you start thinking that humans are machines...who says they just have to use bots for spare parts?

That maybe your ship's computer could be compromised; steering you into a sun, or the heart of infected territory.

Your synthesising machines suddenly replicating face huger style bio-bots or nano=bots.  You don't even want to imagine what would happen if they got into your blood stream...

MRC

• Founder
  • Knows dev CPR
  • Mental breakdown in progress...
« Reply #38 on: December 08, 2014, 08:39:42 pm »
I think there's potential in zombie-bots, but not as some kind of generic zombies/infestation. I'd see them as an organized faction of sort, with possibilities for diplomatic interaction with the players. They could be one of the hardest, yet most profitable race to trade with.

Maybe you could improve relationship by towing derelict ships (or live ones ;)) directly to them and in return, get access to some of the largest mass production factories for a ridiculously low price. (I doubt they'd care about money)
With love.  ~MRC

Niwantaw

• Founder
  • Eternal Skipper O.Q
  • Grille'd
« Reply #39 on: December 08, 2014, 09:31:23 pm »

I'd like to see zombie bots over zombies simply because I really don't feel zombies in space really work for "fear". Indeed, very few things manage to make zombies work when you /don't/ have lazorbeamz. Let alone with :p
"God damnit why does everything have to be in sweedish? I don't understand shit"-Davee

<Strait_Raider> "The Big 4 could be equipped with a Bren gun or a 3 inch mortar..."
<Strait_Raider>That's like... my two favorite things.
     Put together.
     That's like... Kate Upton in a Tiger

Cy83r

• Founder
  • It's Shooowtime!
« Reply #40 on: December 10, 2014, 01:27:06 pm »
So what? Geth (Mass Effect) mixed with Replicators (Stargate)?  They'll just nonchalantly land on your base or ship and start dismantling without a care in the world for you or your crew it until you try and stop them and then the buzzsaw genitals come out screaming?
Jibreel: Yeah but [Hufer] that's like [Axis] complaining that his Toyota Camry is stuck in the mud and you responding "Well my M1 Abrams doesn't seem to be having much trouble."

Iago

• Founder
« Reply #41 on: December 11, 2014, 01:03:37 pm »
Yes, though I don't know what Geth or Replicators are.

Czorio

• Founder
  • Residential nutbag
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #42 on: December 12, 2014, 08:02:14 am »
Sounds more like the Borg, tbh.
"If you're in an equal fight, your tactics suck."

http://www.youtube.com/user/czorio4

RLS0812

• Founder
  • Captain of the SS Clueless
« Reply #43 on: December 16, 2014, 02:12:11 am »
I do not think any one else has mentioned this yet ...
 A  creature or plant that can invade the body of any organic life form and slowly take over.
 The longer some one is infected, the more "mutilated" or "distorted" they appear.

My YouTube Channel Filled With Geek, Nerd, Politics, Economics, & More ! 
[Click Here]

Cy83r

• Founder
  • It's Shooowtime!
« Reply #44 on: December 16, 2014, 11:25:49 am »
I do not think any one else has mentioned this yet ...
 A  creature or plant that can invade the body of any organic life form and slowly take over.
 The longer some one is infected, the more "mutilated" or "distorted" they appear.
Let's just call them "Strangler Figs"
Jibreel: Yeah but [Hufer] that's like [Axis] complaining that his Toyota Camry is stuck in the mud and you responding "Well my M1 Abrams doesn't seem to be having much trouble."