Author Topic: Creature List(or something)  (Read 7766 times)

Iago

• Founder
  • Keep calm and charge the FTL drive
Creature List(or something)
« on: March 29, 2014, 03:42:57 pm »
Should we make some sort of an "SCP" board for creature ideas then? =P

I'm bored. Let's do this!
Superbia mentis potens in armis.

Aaron

• BR Developer
  • Creative Director, ZanMgt
  • Available on the IRC from 9:00am to 5:00pm (EST)
    • http://www.zanmgt.com
Re: Creature List(or something)
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2014, 03:44:39 pm »
Try and keep it asteroid/wreckage-related for now, since them planets are such a ways off. =P

(Note: they can be living inside the asteroid in mini-biomes, so you're not just limited to barren rock surfaces)
Stop by the IRC and say Hi! -- Online Dev Chat

MRC

• Founder
  • Knows dev CPR
  • Mental breakdown in progress...
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2014, 10:14:07 pm »
I'm liking the idea!
I might not go in the SCP style of writing myself, but I'm pretty sure some people will give us very interesting article. =D

Here's one of my ideas.

---------------------------
The Lithyphae, or Rock Mold.

A very dangerous and invasive fungus, this thing evolved to be able to grow on barren, rocky asteroids and is easily recognizable by it's large golden-yellow domes growing up to a meter in diameter.  It's ability to thrive and grow from rock alone makes it extremely dangerous, given better growing conditions it will spread at an astonishing rate.

It's mycelium spread rather quickly and deeply trough the rock, cracking and crushing the stone into a fine dust that it can then absorb and break into it's constituent parts to fuel it's growth, spreading a few meters a day. Given how easily it spreads trough solid rock, it is no surprise that when entering in contact with biomass, being soft and nutrient-rich, the lithyphae will grow at incredible speed, killing and absorbing any organisms on it's path. Test with optimal conditions suggest a top spreading speed of 5Km/h.

The lithyphae spread from asteroid to asteroid by many means. Asteroid collisions and hitchhiking on unaware ships are two of them, but the rock mold is also capable of growing it's characteristic spore-producing domes on mineral-rich asteroids and spray them out at a few hundreds of meter per second, spreading them all across entire asteroid belts. Another less common way of spreading is trough disintegration of the asteroid, small asteroids often cannot handle the fast growth and will break apart before the mycelium can strengthen it's structure, leaving a hazardous field of contaminated pebbles, but it cannot survive for long on surfaces so small.

Fortunately for prospectors, miners and explorers alike, the lithyphae requires a porous surface to spread, ships with a refined metal hull are not at risk of being infected or damaged. However, if made contact with, the fungus or it's spore will stick to the hull, becoming a real risk of contamination to other asteroids or even planets. Any pilot or captain landing on an asteroid should go trough a full check for traces of the fungus and remove them before traveling to another sector.

The rock mold is not resistant to heat, 450 Kelvins is a sufficient temperature for assured removal and destruction of the exposed layer, making cleansing of ship's hull a simple routine task. Cleansing of entire asteroids can only be done trough either destruction and incineration of the asteroid or approaching it close enough from it's parent star that the core temperature raise to 450K. Many chose to break apart and incinerate an infected asteroid as it is quicker and less expensive.

The lithyphae is considered a nuisance and a danger to ecosystems across the galaxy due to its destructive effect on native asteroid fauna and it's absorption of valuable ore, rendering any infected asteroid virtually worthless. Planets are considered safe from accidental infection due to the intense heat caused by re-entry and impacts but military patrol stay extremely cautious and constantly scan for trace of rock mold on vessels passing by. Contaminating a planet with lithyphae is considered an act of planetary destruction.

---------------------------

Wow, that ended longer than i had imagined. But i gotta say it's quite fun giving a bit of a backstory to your creation. I recommend to any reader to try.  ;)
Too bad I'm starting this up with boring mushrooms, haha.

Now i really don't expect something that complex to end up in the full game. Maybe the simplified concept of a parasitic mushroom, who know.

That was fun, looking forward to see more ideas! =D
With love.  ~MRC

Iago

• Founder
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2014, 11:18:32 am »
Space Barnacles, so I can play the "Keelhauled but Happy" song on all frequencies after Keelhauling a heretical crew member.

RLS0812

• Founder
  • Captain of the SS Clueless
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2014, 02:51:34 pm »
Space Mushrooms - a fungus that can grow on almost any surface, but will eventually weaken and destroy whatever they are growing on.
Drifting spore clouds can cover a passing ship with dozens of mushrooms.

My YouTube Channel Filled With Geek, Nerd, Politics, Economics, & More ! 
[Click Here]

Concore

• Founder
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2014, 04:38:07 pm »
     White Weed - White weed is a plant that is one meter tall(Not counting the roots) that can live and reproduce rapidly without the need of air.  Its is colored white and grows on the surface of asteroids or abandoned ships in the amounts of 3 to 300.  It feeds on the mineral rich rocks or metals under the surface of the object that's it roots are in and have roots have been measured to be a long as 2 meters.  The thing that sets this plant aside from most interplanetary plants is that it can detach its routs from the ground and walk as if they were legs.  It does this when it is ether provoked or needs to find new minerals to feed on.

It is not hostel on site but is very territorial and will attack anything that get within 8 meters of it or if it is being attacked.  It attacks by spiting an acid it produces that can go at velocity's of up to 20 km pre-hour.  Any substance that comes in contacted of it will melt into a form of the acid within seconds but will be slightly weaker than the original.  This can cause a chain reaction in till the acid is too weak to reproduce itself.  This can take from 5 to 30 seconds depending on the amount of acid that the object comes in contact with.  White weed can also jump form the surface and place it roots in the ship and release the acid form its roots.

Large amounts white weed is sometimes near a White Weed Queen, a much bigger version of white weed that forms because of a growth mutation.  These can be 3 to 10 meters high and will attack anything that comes within 20 meters of them.  They are also rumored to have a special ingredient in them that is needed for making a drink miners often call "White Wine", which is said to be one of the only drinks in the know universe that doesn't have the effects of tolerance and cant be addicted to.

To kill a white weed you can ether shoot you weapons at it or use any brand of weed killing products that are available at to local market.  It is advised that, unless there are a small number of them or if they are on a valuable ore source, to avoided them.

Aaron

• BR Developer
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2014, 06:42:22 pm »
I'm liking the whole "space plant" motif going on. ;D

Tribs

• Founder
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2014, 07:34:42 pm »
Loving the idea of fungus and acids.

BR peeps, what do you think about all objects having some sort of decay attribute?

It would help servers remove lost or forgotten junk, so that more CPU can be given to active players and their assets.

Having a real reason for object decay, with space fungus and acids would just make it really cool.

Imagine coming across a unmaintained mining station or drifting craft of someone that hasn't logged in for weeks/months. The structure both outside and inside would appear severally damaged and on the verge of collapse. Walking it's hallways, would be something akin to a coral reef divers experience.

Returning to your own ship, would risk transfer of acids and fungus and start a new infestation allowing for acids and fungus to evolve and mutate as they cross-containmentate.

This would lead to the necessity for decontamination technology for people that like getting involved in salvage type operations. Like the use of radiation cambers you must reentry your ship through, or scans that release nanobots that search and destroy foreign plant matter.

If you're looking for something that would make BR unique, this sort of stuff might be it!

« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 07:56:25 pm by Tribs »

Iago

• Founder
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2014, 08:49:11 am »
I like the idea of life just appearing in space. Like in Tron Legacy, the self generated programs. Like fire, the conditions were right, and they formed.

How about more monsters of which the eggs look like gems, and can accidentally be mined, and then chew over the powerlines.
I really like the idea of infestation.

Imagine, you find an abandoned cruiser pitted with meteor holes and a curious design. Its FTL drive is semi-active, but you decide to land in the hangar to bring your ship with you should the ship jump.
You set up some sentries and venture in with your trusty powerarmour and plasma pistol, having no ideas of the dangers and treasures within. You walk a bit, then find footprints and chewmarks. You receive a signal from your ships AI, the doors are getting eaten! You hurry to your ship and join the battle you shoot down alien after alien but more keep coming. You set up some more sentries to cover your escape and jet out of the hangars, aliens clinging to the hull, some fried by RCS thrusters. You decide to tractor beamthe cruiser into the nearest planet, but realize to late that the planet is habitable, and scheduled for colonization. You sneak away before anyone notices.

Wheh! Maybe a separate thread for stories like this?

Czorio

• Founder
  • Residential nutbag
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2014, 10:34:34 am »
Since the creatures live in low-grav environments (asteroids and derelicts generally don't have very powerful gravity). So as to not float away the entities would need to stick to or dig into the surfaces they want to stay with.
"If you're in an equal fight, your tactics suck."

http://www.youtube.com/user/czorio4

Me2005

• Founder
  • Contributor
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2014, 10:57:34 am »
BR peeps, what do you think about all objects having some sort of decay attribute?

We've talked about that and mostly don't like it; unless there's some way to insta-fix the decaying object. If you pick up whatever 'disease' (fungus, weeds, whatever), then it's on you; but just spontaneously getting some sort of space-decay you have to clean off isn't 'fun'.
But you were dead a thousand times. Hopeless encounters successfully won. A man long dead, grafted to machines your builders did not understand. You follow the path, fitting into an infinite pattern. Yours to manipulate, to create and rebuild.

I know who you are.

You are destiny.

Aaron

• BR Developer
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2014, 10:58:32 am »
Loving the idea of fungus and acids.

It would help servers remove lost or forgotten junk, so that more CPU can be given to active players and their assets.

Having a real reason for object decay, with space fungus and acids would just make it really cool.

Imagine coming across a unmaintained mining station or drifting craft of someone that hasn't logged in for weeks/months. The structure both outside and inside would appear severally damaged and on the verge of collapse. Walking it's hallways, would be something akin to a coral reef divers experience.

Returning to your own ship, would risk transfer of acids and fungus and start a new infestation allowing for acids and fungus to evolve and mutate as they cross-containmentate.

This would lead to the necessity for decontamination technology for people that like getting involved in salvage type operations. Like the use of radiation cambers you must reentry your ship through, or scans that release nanobots that search and destroy foreign plant matter.

If you're looking for something that would make BR unique, this sort of stuff might be it!

I think I'd want general decay to be correlated back to actions you've taken, i.e. you never bothered to repair some of the scraped paint on your ship and visited a few run-down backwater stations, leading to a "space rust" infection on the exposed bits on your ship.  Or you ran through a nebula, landed on a strange planet, etc. Completely random decay might end up more annoying than fun (atleast, without little dwarves running about your ship tending to it for you).

I like the idea of life just appearing in space. Like in Tron Legacy, the self generated programs. Like fire, the conditions were right, and they formed.

That's where our Solenium molecules comes in! ^^  When you're FTL'ing in BR you're using a Solenium Hyperdrive to temporarily displace the ship into a pocket-dimension, making 1km of hyperspace become thousands/hundreds of km in real space.  Being exposed to Solenium in real-space can cause "rifts" for lifeforms to cross from one dimension to the next, with some lifeforms purposefully existing to seek the Solenium "gateways" as a way to thrive and survive.

Thus, an explanation for exotic and dangerous enemies/(funguses/plants) appearing in areas where they realistically shouldn't.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2014, 11:00:40 am by Aaron »

Terah

• BR Developer
  • Concept / Texture Artist
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2014, 03:35:12 pm »
*sighs contentedly* Oh I think I have finally found a home away from home...  ;D

Me being a lover of H.R. Giger and original monsters as I am, not really a big fan of the typical sci-fi horror zombie-esk virus what makes monsters(-I prefer 'critters' and bug monsters myself, most 'humanoid' monsters are boring ;) ), I love what you people are coming up with here.

I can already feel my wrist and hand snarling at me in pain but meh, only the art matters. ::)
Most see things as they are and never ask 'why'. I see things that never were and ask, 'why not?'.

'Do I look like a man with a plan?'

MRC

• Founder
  • Knows dev CPR
  • Mental breakdown in progress...
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2014, 06:45:52 pm »
I've put some thinking on the subject of material decay to save CPU and might have come up with something a bit more interesting than fungus or acid in that matter.  ;)

So, here's another idea of mine fresh out from my crazy brain.
-------------------------
Astilles, also known as Cracking Serpents.

The astille is a gentle giant of the void. It feature a very long, silver snake-like body ending with a very wide tail fin, a pair of long, thick and slightly curved horn, impressively large eyes and an enormous mouth armed with a tongue nearly the size of it's body. In their adult form these beasts grow to nearly 600 meters on average with recorded measures of over a kilometer, and legends of behemoths reaching over 10 kilometers.

Astilles feed from asteroids and other small bodies drifting trough space. It is an opportunist and will promptly gobble up small objects it encounter, reaching them with it's long, sticky tongue. But in vastness of space such easy meal is rare but the cracking serpent got it's ways to make itself a snack. Building up speed it ram into asteroids with it's horns to break smaller chunks off that can fit into it's mouth earning it it's nickname. An amazing footage recorded by an unsuspecting mining ship, show a feat of precision and endurance by an astille, striking a large asteroid at 45km/s turning it to pebbles, followed by 5 minutes of space-swearing from the pilot.  It has a taste for iron and will most often prioritize getting to the iron rich core of asteroids discarding chunks of more valuable ores, to the pleasure of miners.

They travels trough space trough an ingenious mean. After digesting a meal the materials that weren't absorbed are directed to a holding pouch near the center of it's body, an organic tube can then quickly deliver the matter to it's tail fin that then eject it as it quickly whip back and forth. The combined speed of whipping and ejecting give astilles a weak but efficient thrust. Traveling trough space through conventional mean is a long process, thus, astilles are known to spend most of their time in an hibernation state, waking up occasionally to verify their course and avoid undesired impacts.

Their large eyes provide them with an excellent long range sight and are able to see far into the infrared wavelength. This let them detect potential food from longer distance but also recognize live ships from their heat signature. An astille never was reported to ram or eat a live ship without provocation, no matter how small. Disabled or or abandoned vessel however are at risk once they radiated enough heat.

This specie is widespread in many galaxies, nearly all the solar systems in those galaxies is host to a few astilles, rarely above 50. They reproduce asexually, and their juveniles hang on the sides of it's parent, they feed them until it become large and massive enough to break small asteroids on it's own, a process that can take a hundred year. Their numbers remain oddly stable through a system, the death of an individual appears to trigger pregnancy in another, suggesting some form of communication. They are extremely long lived, estimated to be in the millions or billions of years, or even to be immortal.

The astilles have no predator, but is often hunted for valuable resources such as it's horns or strong digestive acid. It can be unpredictable when threatened, sometime speeding away, sometime ejecting some undigested materials through it's tail at it's aggressor, but most often turning around and ramming it's aggressor once before fleeing. Nonetheless astilles are peaceful titans and does not mind ships drifting along with them. Captains of freighter and other utilitarian ships came to like their presence and always follow one if it goes in the right direction as they provide protection from pirates and bandits as well as clearing up potentially dangerous debris.
-------------------------

I write way too much! but shut up I'm enjoying it! not insane! i swear!

Here again, complex creature at it's core, maybe too much for what BR can accomplish. But, as crazy as they may sound, I'm thinking my creature in a game design kind of way, yet I'm trying to go away from the standard thing in games where the mobs have only one of three personality trait. 1) mindless rampage on sight with no concept of self preservation. 2) barely do anything and may or may not grasp the concept of self preservation once you shoot them. 3) the mix of the 2 others.

I believe something that does no want to or cannot interact directly with you, but affect your environment can be just as fun.

Hope you had a fun read, see you next time i dream up something half retarded. =D
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 03:01:45 pm by MRC »
With love.  ~MRC

Terah

• BR Developer
  • Concept / Texture Artist
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2014, 02:08:43 pm »
It feature a very long, silver snake-like body ending with a very wide tail fin, a pair of long, thick and slightly curved horn, impressively large eyes and an enormous mouth armed with a thong nearly the size of it's body.

Yea, I think some edit is in order here, MRC.  ;D

Don't worry about being crazy/insane/writing/being-a-lunatic too much, we really appreciate people taking the time to think on these things. It helps for future development!  :D
Most see things as they are and never ask 'why'. I see things that never were and ask, 'why not?'.

'Do I look like a man with a plan?'