Author Topic: Quantum Spin Liquid's - What can they be used for?  (Read 2716 times)

Jmanndriver

• Founder
  • Bigger is Better...
Quantum Spin Liquid's - What can they be used for?
« on: February 03, 2014, 02:50:12 pm »
Hey everyone, long time no see! To say I've been away for a long time would be a drastic understatement lol. I dropped by like I usually do, every few months, to check up on how things were progressing. As it's a new year I felt like it was a good time to drop back in and stir the pot a little, the Ideas & Suggestions thread seems rather dead. You can't have all run out of ideas already! The fact that 2 of my old posts are still on the front page is beyond me. What I want to do is start a few new threads in the hopes that it may lead to some new insights and mechanics for Blockade Runner.

Today's topic is QSL or as you common folk like to call it, Quantum Spin Liquids.

I've known about QSL for awhile now and was trying to think of what this could be applied to in the present or future. There is one base state material that contain a lattice that supports this and that's Herbertsmithite. How could we use this in BR and what could it be used for? Could this mineral be added into the game, be mined, and then refined to use in QSL?

Currently QSL's are theorized to allow more data storage. Instead of just 1's and 0's you can obtain up to 24 different orientations for one data unit. (I read that somewhere no source sorry!) Just think of Superman's little magic stick that held all that information in it. It would presumably require multiple lasers to read and write the data.

Uses: I believe this could be used in the memory tech tree, if there is one, going up from Silicon chips all the way to QSL memory.

Thoughts?

Sources: [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_spin_liquid]

"Quotes at the bottom of signatures are pointless. Just like this one."

- Unknown

Aaron

• BR Developer
  • Creative Director, ZanMgt
  • Available on the IRC from 9:00am to 5:00pm (EST)
    • http://www.zanmgt.com
Re: Quantum Spin Liquid's - What can they be used for?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2014, 03:05:54 pm »
Well, very cool, but I'm not sure how well it could be used to improve data storage for BR. =P
Stop by the IRC and say Hi! -- Online Dev Chat

Jmanndriver

• Founder
  • Bigger is Better...
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2014, 04:24:16 pm »
AS an in game technology progression? They could have to mine those specific minerals and upgrade systems allowing better/bigger AI to be installed on the ship. Since it actually has entanglement properties you could also use it to connect different systems together without wires making it harder to knock out key systems.

- Unknown

Aaron

• BR Developer
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2014, 05:10:03 pm »
Ah.  I had skimmed your message and didn't catch that you meant for the QSL to be a fictional in-game technology.  Third time I'd done this today... >.>

Sounds like a good way to make wireless communication via the entanglement. =]

Jmanndriver

• Founder
  • Bigger is Better...
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2014, 05:20:05 pm »
Now the question is can power be transferred in a similar manner? If the atoms are entangled and you have multiple objects entangled to one central location, when you wiggle that one main atom will they all wiggle? If they do then you could put in 1x power and it could power 5x devices at 1x power at the same time. Is that too confusing?

- Unknown

Aaron

• BR Developer
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2014, 05:42:45 pm »
Now the question is can power be transferred in a similar manner? If the atoms are entangled and you have multiple objects entangled to one central location, when you wiggle that one main atom will they all wiggle? If they do then you could put in 1x power and it could power 5x devices at 1x power at the same time. Is that too confusing?

I thought I recall this was one of the potential benefits of quantum entanglement, so it'd be interesting to explore as an excuse for wireless power as well.

Czorio

• Founder
  • Residential nutbag
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2014, 05:47:59 pm »
Thing is, once you observe the state of the atoms, they stick. If you send data by toying with an entagled atom, you'd need to observe the state of the second atom to get the data out of it, thus locking it in the state it is in at the time of observing.

Also no, you cannot link n amount of atoms to a single 'main' atom. It only works in pairs.
"If you're in an equal fight, your tactics suck."

http://www.youtube.com/user/czorio4

Alaric

• Super Moderator
  • I making space ships!
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2014, 11:25:53 pm »
I think the point of this is more for flavor to drive toward a certain technological capability in-game, or perhaps inspiration to describe a commonplace technology which is notably different than present real-life. Let's not get too entangled (har har, I'll show myself out) in the nitty-gritty details of said flavor, since BR will not be modeling such things on the level of atomic interactions.

That said, I'm rather interested in the prospect of limited data storage in-game, as most non-material storage in games is typically unlimited. Is there a feasible scenario where limited data storage would be both plausible and add to gameplay in some manner?
<Czorio> The bittersweet embrace of the Alaric is the only embrace I'll ever know.
<Gabriel> Because Alaric robbed your pleasure...
<Aaron> I feel dirty. Alaric, pls hold me.
<Terah> I don't guess when it comes to you Alaric, I just assume you are always watching...

Me2005

• Founder
  • Contributor
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2014, 11:03:46 am »
That said, I'm rather interested in the prospect of limited data storage in-game, as most non-material storage in games is typically unlimited. Is there a feasible scenario where limited data storage would be both plausible and add to gameplay in some manner?

Maybe weapon calibration settings? Cloning-box memory (for storing player spawn-conditions; player weapons,  changes since last spawn, etc.)? Really, data storage limitations of nearly any kind aren't plausible now, so I'd just dump that and go with interesting additions to gameplay.
But you were dead a thousand times. Hopeless encounters successfully won. A man long dead, grafted to machines your builders did not understand. You follow the path, fitting into an infinite pattern. Yours to manipulate, to create and rebuild.

I know who you are.

You are destiny.

theallmightybob

• Founder
  • Sleep is for the weak.
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2014, 06:15:44 pm »
I think the point of this is more for flavor to drive toward a certain technological capability in-game, or perhaps inspiration to describe a commonplace technology which is notably different than present real-life. Let's not get too entangled (har har, I'll show myself out) in the nitty-gritty details of said flavor, since BR will not be modeling such things on the level of atomic interactions.

I smell research mechanic. collecting data to possibly analyze to unlock different things you might not be able to easily loot.  have a research computer that collects data from your specific type of laser or from battles to reverse engineer other ships engines/weapons/shields maybe? bascily fill up a data pool from each of those things to be processed through computer blocks to unlock new blueprints in a different way.
would you buy a toaster shaped like an f22 with an eject button on it? cause thats what i'm going for.

DiscK

• Founder
  • Bigger on the Inside.
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2014, 03:35:49 am »
Glad to see you back.
It could be used for limiting weapon systems and other spaceship mechanics, like a central control computer managing these has to have more storage to use more complicated things.
"430rhgq3wr0g8hwroeihremaontweoittitsuoefaoinbrigroarg"
- Anonymous

Aaron

• BR Developer
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2014, 10:47:41 am »

What's generally accepted in sci-fi for "Oh, we can't fit any more data in here!" is usually artificial intelligences, major 'abilities' (i.e. the genesis device), the space ship's "brains" (falls under AI, but without the personality), storing compressed material or people ("transporter buffers"), or large amounts of tactical data (i.e. the ship's collective history of your race, other races, medical histories, etc).

Gameplay - Artificial Intelligence (/Ship's Brains)
This can be used for the automatic operation of cannons.  "More data" could easily be excused for more AI cannons or better accuracy/operation of ship systems, but its dicey in terms of benefits increasing in a linear fashion.

Gameplay - Compressed Material
For purposes of magical storage (any typical game with a character inventory), you can excuse extra data for more compression space, even if its a matter of the molecules being sent to a different dimension and brought back again (gotta make sure it all comes back the way it was found).

Gameplay - People's History / Tactical Data
This I can really only see being more viable for trading or negotiations.  Universe-wise you couldn't possibly run out of storage space for basic information like a ship's identification, so it'd be more of a commodity if anything.  Maybe on the black market you can sell billions of people's stolen information or some such. =P

If you can come up with more examples of data limitations that are plausible, fire away! ;)

Cy83r

• Founder
  • It's Shooowtime!
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2014, 12:58:01 pm »
ship designs.  bettter compression means smaller shipyards can build bigger and faster with fewer fabrication errors.  by errors i mean that any particular block is created without 100 percent hit points or is even so poorly made as to have its resistances lowered and weaknesses increased
Jibreel: Yeah but [Hufer] that's like [Axis] complaining that his Toyota Camry is stuck in the mud and you responding "Well my M1 Abrams doesn't seem to be having much trouble."

Aaron

• BR Developer
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2014, 01:08:15 pm »
ship designs.  bettter compression means smaller shipyards can build bigger and faster with fewer fabrication errors.  by errors i mean that any particular block is created without 100 percent hit points or is even so poorly made as to have its resistances lowered and weaknesses increased

Ooh, I like that... Maybe "Tier 1" data storage is for basic hull and interiors (of certain designs), "Tier 2" can store more intricate items (furniture), and "Tier 3" can maintain the contents within lockers and such, as well as primitive organics (plants) + fuels.

Cy83r

• Founder
  • It's Shooowtime!
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2014, 01:20:27 pm »
and cutrate black market fabrication shops run by unscrupulous npcs churn out mass production jobs of rare and/or illict designs and materials at such a low quality to make proper 'brints' skyrocket in price.  that would make a nice quest for paragons to pick up at galpol hq and for renegades to stumble across while hacking their data caches for pricey data
Jibreel: Yeah but [Hufer] that's like [Axis] complaining that his Toyota Camry is stuck in the mud and you responding "Well my M1 Abrams doesn't seem to be having much trouble."