Author Topic: [Answered] Partial Thickness Hulls ( Plates )  (Read 2266 times)

RLS0812

• Founder
  • Captain of the SS Clueless
[Answered] Partial Thickness Hulls ( Plates )
« on: January 13, 2014, 04:15:40 am »
 I suggest that "thin" hulls are introduced to the game.
The thickness would be 1/2 meter ... 1/4 meter ... 1/8 meter.
The hulls would "snap" to the outside edge a player was pointing at when building. [*1]
The purpose would be: 
1: To enable the construction of spacecraft with less mass ( at the cost of armor value ).
2: Better utilize interior space.
3: Construction of thin walls to separate rooms
4: More ship design options

[*1]
To get a better idea of what "snapping" would look like, watch https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ov9nlCIVaOE
I am not recommending any other block shape except "plates" .

« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 09:40:06 am by Aaron »

My YouTube Channel Filled With Geek, Nerd, Politics, Economics, & More ! 
[Click Here]

Cy83r

• Founder
  • It's Shooowtime!
Re: Partial Thickness Hulls ( Plates )
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2014, 05:12:30 am »
I think we've discussed and confirmed 1/2 meter plates, angled plates, etc, in addition to a bunch of other shapes - wow, that was a long time ago.

1/4 and 1/8 plates... not so sure, would that even be useful on the large scale?  maybe on a gentle staircase or to really smooth out natural terrain if slopes prove difficult to implement procedurally.
Jibreel: Yeah but [Hufer] that's like [Axis] complaining that his Toyota Camry is stuck in the mud and you responding "Well my M1 Abrams doesn't seem to be having much trouble."

Holy Thunder

• Founder
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2014, 07:46:52 am »
I think smaller / more shallow angled plates would be handy to make for smoother hull designs and internals, but full-sized thinner plates would be...different.  My first thought was to discard them as useless, but internally they could be quite useful in optimum use of your space.
--Trespassers will be promptly riddled with bullets and other unpleasant projectiles.

--Survivors will treated with apologies, steak dinner, and a VIP tour of our facilities.

Cy83r

• Founder
  • It's Shooowtime!
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2014, 09:08:07 am »
Or boot-strapping a few spare inches of space full of interior armoring for, say, that slightly too-big fuel tank or munitions vault.
Jibreel: Yeah but [Hufer] that's like [Axis] complaining that his Toyota Camry is stuck in the mud and you responding "Well my M1 Abrams doesn't seem to be having much trouble."

Me2005

• Founder
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2014, 05:17:39 pm »
I'd think for really small ships (fighters), you'd have a cockpit you enter/exit, and for larger ships you'd have enough space that you wouldn't need more than 1 type of partial-wall block. 1/2, 1/4, or single-plane (2d wall, like glass planes in MC) objects that the player is allowed to occupy the same space as. They'd be most useful for partitions and railings, but someone would use them externally I'm sure.
But you were dead a thousand times. Hopeless encounters successfully won. A man long dead, grafted to machines your builders did not understand. You follow the path, fitting into an infinite pattern. Yours to manipulate, to create and rebuild.

I know who you are.

You are destiny.

Aaron

• BR Developer
  • Creative Director, ZanMgt
  • Available on the IRC from 9:00am to 5:00pm (EST)
    • http://www.zanmgt.com
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2014, 09:39:21 am »
We originally wanted to use some raycasted parallax shaders to visually show thickness with the hull plating but it'd be a lot of work that'd only show up for folks on a "High" graphics setting.

1/2 cubic blocks and 1/4 cubic blocks need special coding to make sure they strip properly, which we needed to wait until we could do 1/2 and 1/4 angles (properly) before putting'em in.

Making 1/2 and 1/4 blocks for armor isn't a bad idea as long as it doesn't force you to make ugly looking ships.  If it does, then we'd want to relegate most of it to a specific manufacturer/race in vanilla so it's a recognizable visual for that style of ship.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 06:35:31 pm by Aaron »
Stop by the IRC and say Hi! -- Online Dev Chat

Cnaff

• Founder
Re: [Answered] Partial Thickness Hulls ( Plates )
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2014, 09:17:00 pm »
Having 1/2 blocks and 1/4 blocks would of course open up a HUGE number of possibilities when it comes to building It would also take away some of the simplicity of building and things could quickly become confusing and ugly.  With that being said I would LOVE this feature.  I really think it would make smaller ships like fighters look 10x better.  One thing you could do iif you wanted s make it so when you build a new ship you select what class it is.  If you select a fighter you could only build with 1/4 blocks.

With those ideas being thrown out there I have to say I'm not a huge fan of them but I still wanted to put them out there.  I think yes, 1/4 and 1/2 blocks would be very useful and I would love to see them added.  I also think that you should be able to use 1/1, 1/2, and 1/4 blocks together regardless of what I said in the first paragraph.

Tl;Dr:  Yes 1/2 and 1/4 blocks would be greatly appreciated.  I think the addition of these could be put off a ways, but regardless I would love to see them.

Me2005

• Founder
  • Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2014, 02:57:36 pm »
Having 1/2 blocks and 1/4 blocks would of course open up a HUGE number of possibilities when it comes to building It would also take away some of the simplicity of building and things could quickly become confusing and ugly.  With that being said I would LOVE this feature.  I really think it would make smaller ships like fighters look 10x better.  One thing you could do iif you wanted s make it so when you build a new ship you select what class it is.  If you select a fighter you could only build with 1/4 blocks.

With those ideas being thrown out there I have to say I'm not a huge fan of them but I still wanted to put them out there.  I think yes, 1/4 and 1/2 blocks would be very useful and I would love to see them added.  I also think that you should be able to use 1/1, 1/2, and 1/4 blocks together regardless of what I said in the first paragraph.

Tl;Dr:  Yes 1/2 and 1/4 blocks would be greatly appreciated.  I think the addition of these could be put off a ways, but regardless I would love to see them.

Realized that what I posted might be confusing. I'd be fine with/find useful a 1/2-block slab (.5x1x1 m) and possibly a 1/4 (.25x1x1m, or basically 2d but not transparent) slab. A 1/4 "block" would be more of a collumn (at .5x.5x1 meter), which might be fine too; but I would not want to get into the rabbit-hole that is 1/8 blocks (which are regular blocks cut in half 3 different ways; a .5 meter cube instead of a 1 meter cube).
But you were dead a thousand times. Hopeless encounters successfully won. A man long dead, grafted to machines your builders did not understand. You follow the path, fitting into an infinite pattern. Yours to manipulate, to create and rebuild.

I know who you are.

You are destiny.

Aaron

• BR Developer
  • Creative Director, ZanMgt
  • Available on the IRC from 9:00am to 5:00pm (EST)
    • http://www.zanmgt.com
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2014, 06:38:46 pm »

Realized that what I posted might be confusing. I'd be fine with/find useful a 1/2-block slab (.5x1x1 m) and possibly a 1/4 (.25x1x1m, or basically 2d but not transparent) slab. A 1/4 "block" would be more of a collumn (at .5x.5x1 meter), which might be fine too; but I would not want to get into the rabbit-hole that is 1/8 blocks (which are regular blocks cut in half 3 different ways; a .5 meter cube instead of a 1 meter cube).

We see 1/2 and 1/4 blocks being more aesthetic - as in for the outer hull, or putting nuances into the interior design (more or less like Minecraft's 1/2 blocks).  They will definitely not be intended for the basic structure of the ship since they'll have the same limitations as Minecraft (i.e. a 1 meter block would have to be placed exactly 1 block above a 1/2 or 1/4 block).
« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 06:40:24 pm by Aaron »
Stop by the IRC and say Hi! -- Online Dev Chat