Author Topic: Functioning Brigs  (Read 3877 times)

Holy Thunder

• Founder
Functioning Brigs
« on: December 30, 2013, 10:30:34 am »
No I didn't look for previous conversations from two years ago.  :P  New threads are healthy.

So--can we have functioning brigs? That is, a door that opens only on a switch, and a switch that opens and closes the door from outside the room. If/when we get to non-sandbox mode, will we have the theoretical ability to trap and confine other players?

Ideal Bare-bones Scenario: I build quite possibly the coolest ship ever made and invite Me2005 to come over for a tour. I offer to show him Engineering. While going down a long spacious hallway, he comments on the nifty tiling and secure button-access door.

When I get to the door, I press the  button.  In addition to opening the vertical door into Brig Control, this button also opens the horizontal door into the brig--several doorways covering the entire hallway except the part I'm standing on.  Me2005 falls into the brig, and I shut it. Boom, he's trapped. Since it's not Sandbox, he can't slip into editing mode to escape. He's forced to stay there until I let him go (after plundering his ship) or until he logs out.  Alternate scenarios: I show him a nifty crew-quarter cell, and he inspects it. He comments on how bare it is, but I'm already outside with the door closed. Or he storms my ship, and I activate doors while he's en route that essentially trap him.

Mostly, I'm intrigued by the ability to trap, imprison, or otherwise confine a player without his/her permission. Obviously this would take some assistance from the player, knowingly or not, but just knowing it's possible is a gem.

Ideal full-feature scenario: The brig is detachable, unbeknownst to the prisoner. I could suck all the air from the room, but instead I decide to eject the entire holding cell, which is has a live fuel tank instead of normal walls. He is then executed via (best) impact with a nearby asteroid, (still awesome) a short burst of weapons fire that ignites the fuel tank, or (least awesome) plain old weapons fire.

What do you guys think?
« Last Edit: December 30, 2013, 10:57:31 am by Holy Thunder »
--Trespassers will be promptly riddled with bullets and other unpleasant projectiles.

--Survivors will treated with apologies, steak dinner, and a VIP tour of our facilities.

Me2005

• Founder
  • Contributor
Re: Functioning Brigs
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2013, 03:28:26 pm »
In conjunction with a system that lets the player leave that body to rot in jail and inhabit a new/existing one wherever they happen to keep spares, yes.

Your spares could be NPC's running around on your ship (ala Battlefront, where you're always just some random NPC from a horde, and dying makes you respawn and subtracts one from the horde count), or could be charges in a vat that grows clones, or could be a suicide command that respawns you at your home-base (not starship). Just so long as I don't need to sit in your holding cell forever, and can leave (even if it means leaving that body with whatever gear it was carrying).
But you were dead a thousand times. Hopeless encounters successfully won. A man long dead, grafted to machines your builders did not understand. You follow the path, fitting into an infinite pattern. Yours to manipulate, to create and rebuild.

I know who you are.

You are destiny.

Commander Jackson

• Founder
  • Lazy dev E.M.T.
  • Ex astris, scientia
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2013, 10:43:38 pm »
In conjunction with a system that lets the player leave that body to rot in jail and inhabit a new/existing one wherever they happen to keep spares, yes.

Just so long as I don't need to sit in your holding cell forever, and can leave (even if it means leaving that body with whatever gear it was carrying).

I agree.  Otherwise I am all for this idea.  I will probably always carry some kind of gadget that would allow me to cut my way out of the brig now...

Gabe has a wraith? That explains so much.

Iago

• Founder
  • Keep calm and charge the FTL drive
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2013, 03:21:59 am »
I would carry a bomb
Superbia mentis potens in armis.

Cy83r

• Founder
  • It's Shooowtime!
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2013, 07:21:15 am »
Bomb?  I'd carry a nuclear scuttling charge.
Jibreel: Yeah but [Hufer] that's like [Axis] complaining that his Toyota Camry is stuck in the mud and you responding "Well my M1 Abrams doesn't seem to be having much trouble."

Iago

• Founder
  • Keep calm and charge the FTL drive
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2013, 09:33:03 am »
An Antimatter bomb
Superbia mentis potens in armis.

Commander Jackson

• Founder
  • Lazy dev E.M.T.
  • Ex astris, scientia
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2013, 11:50:11 am »
Bomb?  I'd carry a nuclear scuttling charge.

An Antimatter bomb

That seems a little excessive.

Holy Thunder

• Founder
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2013, 01:23:00 pm »
It is a somewhat amusing notion to carry around a nuclear device on your person to spite any would-be jailkeepers. It seems like overkill to a problem whose ideal solution is to not be hoodwinked.

Regarding body abandonment--I'd assume your body disappears sometime after logging out, and would probably default to your ship--or another location, if your ship is lost. The idea would not be to necessarily keep the victim captive indefinitely, only to force them to log out whilst away from their ship.

It's a mild form of griefing, fairly annoying if you're captured--but in a way that you'd have to appreciate. Whether you're helping test it, touring the ship, or trying to assault it, you'd have to respect the planning that led to you in a cell on another player's ship.  I know I would.
--Trespassers will be promptly riddled with bullets and other unpleasant projectiles.

--Survivors will treated with apologies, steak dinner, and a VIP tour of our facilities.

Commander Jackson

• Founder
  • Lazy dev E.M.T.
  • Ex astris, scientia
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2013, 07:12:49 pm »
Regarding body abandonment--I'd assume your body disappears sometime after logging out, and would probably default to your ship--or another location, if your ship is lost. The idea would not be to necessarily keep the victim captive indefinitely, only to force them to log out whilst away from their ship.

It's a mild form of griefing, fairly annoying if you're captured--but in a way that you'd have to appreciate. Whether you're helping test it, touring the ship, or trying to assault it, you'd have to respect the planning that led to you in a cell on another player's ship.  I know I would.

This would seem like a good way to get equipment from people when you are unable to just kill them.

Me2005

• Founder
  • Contributor
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2013, 07:15:01 pm »
It is a somewhat amusing notion to carry around a nuclear device on your person to spite any would-be jailkeepers. It seems like overkill to a problem whose ideal solution is to not be hoodwinked.

And I'm working on the notion that you'd need some way for players to respawn, and that it'd probably incur some kind of cost to do it, so your brig would basically just be costing them time/effort/resources. Ideally, players could just take over the bodies of whatever NPC's they have aboard their ship(s). If they have no spare NPC's, maybe a cloning tank at a local station, or the player's home base. Force players to have NPC's aboard their ships for a) defense against boarding and b) respawning; and prevent them from creating new bodies (other than the existing NPC's) on their ships (i.e.: you can only hire new NPC's at stations/etc.). Then your brig becomes a "do I kill off one of my NPC's and go all the way back to station to get another, or do I wait it out here?" situation.
But you were dead a thousand times. Hopeless encounters successfully won. A man long dead, grafted to machines your builders did not understand. You follow the path, fitting into an infinite pattern. Yours to manipulate, to create and rebuild.

I know who you are.

You are destiny.

ainsley

• Spacer
Re: Adventure/story maps
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2014, 03:55:46 am »
So--can we have functioning brigs? That is, a door that opens only on a switch, and a switch that opens and closes the door from outside the room. If/when we get to non-sandbox mode, will we have the theoretical ability to trap and confine other players?
AINSLEY

Holy Thunder

• Founder
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2014, 03:45:00 pm »
Hopefully, hopefully so. And since we're in alpha, it will be a much jucier triumph when I succeed.  8)

Aaron

• BR Developer
  • Creative Director, ZanMgt
  • Available on the IRC from 9:00am to 5:00pm (EST)
    • http://www.zanmgt.com
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2014, 04:25:18 pm »
Hah.  Well, we'll have to see where priorities fall this year.  We've got some pretty cool stuff in mind that'd allow you to do just that (and would keep modders busy adding new stuff for years) along the lines of StarBound / Terraria lines & switches.  It'd push back the 'meta game' of Blockade Runner to implement though so we'd have to choose carefully over RP'ing mechanics vs. general gameplay.
Stop by the IRC and say Hi! -- Online Dev Chat

Thadius Faran

• Founder
  • Leader of the S.D.I and CEO of 301st industries
    • 301st Corp
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2014, 04:47:14 pm »
It would be like a redstone iron door wouldn't it? just have it be unopenable by hand and require a button. No button o the otherside cant be opened from there.
If your going to use military force you ought to use overwhelming military force. All war is immoral and if you let that bother you your not a good soldier.

SnowDragon

• First to use a Sigpic!
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2014, 07:43:58 pm »
Hey, after he respawns, you can ransom the body back to his family and make them believe he was dead!