Author Topic: WIP - Large Freighter with EXTENSIVE Interiors  (Read 5643 times)

seagull

• Founder
WIP - Large Freighter with EXTENSIVE Interiors
« on: December 14, 2013, 02:39:43 pm »
WIP - Large Freighter with EXTENSIVE Interiors

Hi everyone! I've  been working away on a large Blockade Runner project, and while it isn't finished yet I'm pretty proud of what I have so far so I wanted to show some of it off to the community!

First off I just wanted to say that as a kid, inspired by various sci-fi movies, a favourite pastime of mine was to draw out spaceship deckplans. I've always wanted to explore some of my creations in 3D, but I could never figure out how to use level editing tools to make what I wanted.
Blockade runner has allowed me for the first time to come up with spaceship designs and see them realized in 3D. So I want to thank the creators for that.

I've spent a lot of time planning out, building, rebuilding, and rebuilding again the interiors of this ship to suit my somewhat obsessive tastes. The end result is that EVERY room and corridor in this ship so far has been thoughtfully designed. I'm also particular about the geometry of the rooms and corridors, when I finish I will make the ship file available so people can explore it and see all the interesting geometry.

In the meantime I thought I would show off some screenshots of key rooms along with a short description, for your reading entertainment.

The exterior of the ship's bow. Not as detailed as the interior, but I still like it. The aft of the ship still needs to be built.

FORWARD COMPARTMENT - CREW
This compartment holds the space where the crew lives aboard the ship, as well as a few administrative offices.

Mess Hall
This is where the crew gathers to eat, relax, and hold social functions. One of the most spacious room aboard the ship, this luxury is a must in order to keep morale up during those long voyages.

Forward view of the communications array from the mess hall window.

Galley
Adjacent to the mess hall, this is where food is prepared aboard the ship.

Showers
Showers and adjacent locker room.

Crew Quarters
These rooms contain sleeping bunks for crew, and a locker for personal items. Accommodates 4 per room.

Officer Quarters
This room holds beds and a locker for the officers, most likely the First Mate and the Ship's Doctor.

Captain's Quarters
The captain gets his own room, of course.

Briefing Room
This room is for holding important meetings.

Ship's Study and Records
This room is for holds all of the ship's records and manifests, as well as operating, maintenance, and emergency manuals. You can also find some reading materials for those long journeys.

Doctor's Office
This is where the Ship's Doctor works to ensure the health of the crew, as well as see crew members for routine check ups. For more serious matters the surgical room further aft is preferred.

Forward Machine Room
This room provides maintenance access for the machinery, electrical, and life support equipment that services the crew compartment.

SECOND COMPARTMENT - OPERATIONS
This compartment houses the spaces necessary for the operation of a spaceship, such as the flight deck and computer core. The lower deck of this compartment also holds workshops necessary for ship maintenance during long voyages.

Another corridor in operations.

Flight Deck
What ship would be complete without a bridge?

Surgical Room
This room allows the Ship's Doctor to deal with any medical emergencies that may occur during the ship's voyages.

Hydroponics Bay
It is recommended that ships intended for long hauls maintain a hydroponics bay to ensure proper nutrition for the crew, as nutrition of stored foods can degrade over time.

Hydroponics Lab
This room is equipped to carry out tasks related to the adjacent hydroponics bay.

Another passageway in operations, this one is one of my favorite corridors.

Cartography
This room contains specialized equipment for interstellar navigation and mapping.

Computer Core
This room houses the ship's main computers, and allows for maintenance of the computer systems.

Forward (Auxiliary) Generator
This small forward generator can provide emergency power to critical ship systems, and supplements the ships main power plant (located towards the aft of the ship) during normal operations.

THIRD COMPARTMENT - CARGO
The largest compartment aboard the ship, this section carries the ship's payload, and houses power and control/data linkages that run along the spine of the ship from engineering to operations.

Cargo Hold
This is where the ship's cargo is stored. The innovative rail-and-pallet system facilitates rapid loading and unloading of the cargo bays.

A view of one of the main cargo bay doors.

Airlock & Airlock Ready Room
Airlocks are useful for a variety of purposes, such as transferring personnel and equipment between ships, or enabling the crew to make external repairs. Should the need arise, the ready room provides a space for crew to don spacesuits or prepare equipment or small drones for airlock deployment.

Ship's Spine
The ship has a bundle of power and control/data linkages which run along the ship's centerline between Operations and Engineering through the Cargo section. Besides providing power to the ship, these linkages allow the bridge to control and monitor the ship's engine and power plant, and communicate with the engineering compartment. Several maintenance access points can be found in the cargo compartment.

A machine room at the junction between Cargo and Operations.

An external view of the port side cargo bay door. I'd say the ship is about ~70% done.

AFT COMPARTMENT - ENGINEERING

Still to be completed.

Automatic Post Merge: December 14, 2013, 02:41:17 pm
Future Planned Compartments: Cargo Bays, Engines

Edit: Updated progress! Added more pics.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 03:54:29 pm by seagull »

theallmightybob

• Founder
  • Sleep is for the weak.
Re: WIP - Large Freighter with EXTENSIVE Interiors
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2013, 07:18:18 pm »
looks nice, have any other shots of the hull?
would you buy a toaster shaped like an f22 with an eject button on it? cause thats what i'm going for.

Sigma

• Founder
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2013, 08:06:32 pm »
Nicely done. I like the interior detailing.

seagull

• Founder
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2013, 08:32:23 pm »
looks nice, have any other shots of the hull?

Yep, here you go!

The other side of the hull:

Underneath

Above

Automatic Post Merge: December 14, 2013, 09:23:21 pm
Nicely done. I like the interior detailing.

Thanks! ;D  It means a lot to me.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2013, 09:28:06 pm by seagull »

Strait Raider

• It's "Strait", as in the body of water.
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2013, 09:43:30 pm »
That's fantastic, very well done. The thought and detail that was put into the rooms is apparent.

Commander Jackson

• Founder
  • Lazy dev E.M.T.
  • Ex astris, scientia
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2013, 10:27:38 pm »
I like the interior.  My problem is that I either draw a design with nothing but the exterior in mind or I draw a design with nothing but the interior in mind.

Interior only design problems
-he exterior ends up looking terrible and there is too much empty space

Exteirior only design problems
-there is not enough interior space for me to put everything in and I just can't decide where to put anything
Gabe has a wraith? That explains so much.

theallmightybob

• Founder
  • Sleep is for the weak.
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2013, 10:30:16 pm »
looks nice, give me a bit of a HW vibe.
would you buy a toaster shaped like an f22 with an eject button on it? cause thats what i'm going for.

seagull

• Founder
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2013, 09:46:08 pm »
I like the interior.  My problem is that I either draw a design with nothing but the exterior in mind or I draw a design with nothing but the interior in mind.

Interior only design problems
-he exterior ends up looking terrible and there is too much empty space

Exteirior only design problems
-there is not enough interior space for me to put everything in and I just can't decide where to put anything

Yeah, it's tough. I found drawing out the deckplans and external shapes on paper until I came up with something that looked nice helped. I never stuck with the original plans, but it gave me a sense of the rooms I wanted to include and what they roughly would be like. I guess it also helps to just draw spaceships and spaceship interiors a lot (I was bitten by the sci-fi bug early, and I like to draw in my spare time).

Also it's just a matter of how much time you are willing to sink into it. Like I said I've always wanted to realize my own spaceship and explore it in 3D, and I've been building and rebuilding on this ship until things are the way I like. I think the timer in the editor just hit 1d today... makes me feel like I should get outside more :-\

looks nice, give me a bit of a HW vibe.

I'm sure that's a part of it, I really liked Homeworld 2 (Especially the look of the Vaygr warships). I'd say my other major influence is System Shock 2 for the interiors. I'd also say Alien/Aliens was probably inspirational as well, I've always liked how detailed the interiors were in those movies.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2013, 10:19:51 pm by seagull »

Commander Jackson

• Founder
  • Lazy dev E.M.T.
  • Ex astris, scientia
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2013, 10:57:00 am »
I guess it also helps to just draw spaceships and spaceship interiors a lot (I was bitten by the sci-fi bug early, and I like to draw in my spare time).

I got that to.
Gabe has a wraith? That explains so much.

seagull

• Founder
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2013, 03:14:36 pm »
I've made some more progress on the freighter! Here are some more pics and descriptions.

Another passageway in operations, this one is one of my favorite corridors.

Cartography
This room contains specialized equipment for interstellar navigation and mapping.

Computer Core
This room houses the ship's main computers, and allows for maintenance of the computer systems.

Forward (Auxiliary) Generator
This small forward generator can provide emergency power to critical ship systems, and supplements the ships main power plant (located towards the aft of the ship) during normal operations.

THIRD COMPARTMENT - CARGO
The largest compartment aboard the ship, this section carries the ship's payload, and houses power and control/data linkages that run along the spine of the ship from engineering to operations.

Cargo Hold
This is where the ship's cargo is stored. The innovative rail-and-pallet system facilitates rapid loading and unloading of the cargo bays.

A view of one of the main cargo bay doors.

Airlock & Airlock Ready Room
Airlocks are useful for a variety of purposes, such as transferring personnel and equipment between ships, or enabling the crew to make external repairs. Should the need arise, the ready room provides a space for crew to don spacesuits or prepare equipment or small drones for airlock deployment.

Ship's Spine
The ship has a bundle of power and control/data linkages which run along the ship's centerline between Operations and Engineering through the Cargo section. Besides providing power to the ship, these linkages allow the bridge to control and monitor the ship's engine and power plant, and communicate with the engineering compartment. Several maintenance access points can be found in the cargo compartment.

A machine room at the junction between Cargo and Operations.

An external view of the port side cargo bay door. I'd say the ship is about ~70% done.

AFT COMPARTMENT - ENGINEERING

Still to be completed.

[Edit - forgot one of the images!]
« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 03:52:44 pm by seagull »

RoflTankFTW

• Founder
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2013, 03:52:33 pm »
Great work, and nice to see a ship with a rather functional interior...

BUT FOR THE LOVE OF SWEET ZOMBIE JESUS PUT THE PICTURES IN SPOILERS. ALL MY INTERNETS ARE MELTING.
Operator of Black Moon PMC Shipyards
http://forums.blockaderunnergame.com/index.php?topic=1833.0

"Before all else, be armed"-Nicollo Machiavelli

seagull

• Founder
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2013, 03:14:35 pm »
Great work, and nice to see a ship with a rather functional interior...

BUT FOR THE LOVE OF SWEET ZOMBIE JESUS PUT THE PICTURES IN SPOILERS. ALL MY INTERNETS ARE MELTING.

Sorry about that!  :-[

It'll be in spoilers from now on.

JmAssassinatorz

• Founder
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2013, 08:19:49 am »
i rely love what you did about the interiors on this ship :D feels like an actual functional ship also did you draw inspiration from homeworld?

Thadius Faran

• Founder
  • Leader of the S.D.I and CEO of 301st industries
    • 301st Corp
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2014, 04:52:35 pm »
Nice job and good to see some new work around here it freshes up other builders.
If your going to use military force you ought to use overwhelming military force. All war is immoral and if you let that bother you your not a good soldier.

seagull

• Founder
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2014, 12:28:42 am »
i rely love what you did about the interiors on this ship :D feels like an actual functional ship also did you draw inspiration from homeworld?

Thanks! In really glad to hear that.  As for  your question, not specifically.  I think the biggest influence from homeworld would be the exterior paint scheme.