Author Topic: flora and fauna  (Read 3079 times)

erebamagi

• Founder
flora and fauna
« on: December 11, 2013, 08:44:40 am »
i know we are a long way off from planets and the like but i think i should tell you of this idea so that the foundation could be laid earl if you so decide to use it.

we know that entire systems will probably be procedurally generated but why stop there, why not procedurally generate flora and fauna on a planet kinda like this game http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlvA2JJcKHU

in addition to making every planet interesting some species you run into could be like tribal primitives or  maybe  pre interstellar species and you could enslave them to work your mines give them space tech to uplift them and depending on their procedurally generated personalities they might make a great ally or they could turn on you. you might also run into interstellar empires (who's ship style is also procedureally generated) who you might be able to make into friends or they might be xenophobic's who don't want anything to do with you or they be a species that decide to conqueror all the known galaxy.

you got to admit that would make for some very interesting encounters. and very interesting playthroughs.
sooo what do you think. questions, comments?

Iago

• Founder
  • Keep calm and charge the FTL drive
Re: flora and fauna
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2013, 02:15:54 pm »
I don't know if evolution will be implemented, though there probably be alien tribals or something. As far as I can tell empires are going to work a little like EVE, as in players create their own empires (maybe a few AI empires but mostly players)
Superbia mentis potens in armis.

Sigma

• Founder
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2013, 06:54:36 pm »
I don't know if evolution will be implemented, though there probably be alien tribals or something. As far as I can tell empires are going to work a little like EVE, as in players create their own empires (maybe a few AI empires but mostly players)

From what I gathered from discussions in the dev chat room, the game right now seems like it will be a mix between EVE and the X series, without the complex economy simulation and AI empires and the ability to create your own empire.

Aaron

• BR Developer
  • Creative Director, ZanMgt
  • Available on the IRC from 9:00am to 5:00pm (EST)
    • http://www.zanmgt.com
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2013, 07:45:39 pm »

It might be interestin'.  The trouble is it takes some time to balance out a proper generator for the plants and still provide the sense of  quality.  You can hack something together pretty quick, but to make it feel seamless takes some extra oomph.

Modders, awayyyyy! =P
Stop by the IRC and say Hi! -- Online Dev Chat

Sigma

• Founder
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2013, 11:06:04 pm »

It might be interestin'.  The trouble is it takes some time to balance out a proper generator for the plants and still provide the sense of  quality.  You can hack something together pretty quick, but to make it feel seamless takes some extra oomph.

Modders, awayyyyy! =P

How is it complex? Just add grass that spreads over dirt blocks, two varieties of plantable trees, and 2 or 3 variety of randomly spawning flowers that spawn with the grass? Since planetary surfaces probably won't be in until a future expansion, there wouldn't be much need for variety at the moment. At least add something for us that want to make pretty space colonies down the road! :(

But on a serious note, could it be something added down the road after all of the important things are out of the way?

Aaron

• BR Developer
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2013, 09:17:56 am »
Well, yeah, spawning two or three per-designed plants (even with just some random colors) isn't much of a deal.  Procedurally generating entirely new designs for plants is where you need to spend a couple weeks doing tweakings to get it to look OK.

Especially if modders demonstrate a functioning and quality rendition of procedural plants, sure I think we can merge them in.  It's much easier to duplicate work that's already been done than it is to invent new things.  ;)

ASTRO-0

• Skipper
  • Hi
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2013, 01:02:00 pm »
You could make some pre-defined parts and just have them be stuck together with different colours.
Why must we fight...because we know no better.
Space the final...erm forgot
If I don't know the name of something,someone or a place then its place holder will be Dave.

Aaron

• BR Developer
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2013, 03:14:21 pm »
You could make some pre-defined parts and just have them be stuck together with different colours.

Far from true procedural generation but 'close enough' I suppose. =P

ASTRO-0

• Skipper
  • Hi
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2013, 11:41:28 pm »
You could leave support for community packs for the parts...just an idea.
If I don't know the name of something,someone or a place then its place holder will be Dave.

Sigma

• Founder
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2013, 11:49:26 pm »

Modders, awayyyyy! =P

Also, to re-quote this again, you should be careful not to rely on modders for too many things. Although mods are a great thing as they increase the replayability of games and draw new buyers leaving a part of a game, like plants and trees, entirely to modders means the feature may never see the light of day in game. The best way to do it is to implement something simple for the modders to work with like I suggested above and let them expand on it. It helps kick start the modding if they have a base to work with. :)

You could leave support for community packs for the parts...just an idea.

^^^ That too. :P

ASTRO-0

• Skipper
  • Hi
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2013, 12:00:28 am »
Yeah add some pre-made parts and leave it simple so that people can add more later, They can be just little downloadable packs or can come with bigger mods. :P

But there needs to be a biggish amount of vanilla parts to start with...
« Last Edit: December 14, 2013, 12:02:19 am by ASTRO-0 »

erebamagi

• Founder
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2014, 01:10:17 am »
more then that thing i linked before i think this fits the situation i was talking about even more, in no mans sky (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRpDn5qPp3s ) everything, the plants the animals the planets and even the solar systems are all procedurally generated it is beyond amazing to watch and i'd love to see something like this implemented later in blockade runner.

Bladecatcher

• Founder
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2014, 08:10:52 pm »
Could you take it one step further, and give flora and fauna procedural chemical properties? What I'm thinking is that there would be a list if chemicals or chemical properties that a potential plant or animal could draw from, and craftable compounds would be made using two or more specific chemicals, as opposed to specific items.

For example, let's say a healing potion (or whatever sci-fi equivalent) is made using chemicals X and Y. You can then scan a plant you find to find out its chemical properties, and if it has chemicals X and Y you can craft it into a healing potion. Or, if you find a plant that has chemical X and another that has Y, you can combine the to to make the same potion. You could even add additional chemicals to the recipe, so if you found a plant that had chemicals X and Z, and another that had Y and Z, you could end up with a healing potion that also fortifies health, or is double strength. Maybe these additional compounds could only be detected with upgraded scanners?

Basically, it would be like how alchemy works in Skyrim, only with randomized properties for different plants and animals. And it would give players a reason to really explore planets, and allow them to actually study the local flora and fauna and to collect samples. It could add another layer of discovery to the game, and value to planets that might have plants with rare properties. You'll definitely want to mark down where you found that planet with the vines that can heal and cure poison!         

Cy83r

• Founder
  • It's Shooowtime!
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2014, 01:12:01 pm »
FUND IT.  Not much else that can be said without getting one's hands dirty.  Thoughsince planets are aways away maybe chemical compounds could be prototyped on a range of asteroid borne fungi and slime molds. it would be neat to see cultivation and crossbreeding of say atmosphere generating puffballs and ore extracting lichenwhile avoiding the genetic lines that pump out infectious spores or break processed materials into caustic sludge
Jibreel: Yeah but [Hufer] that's like [Axis] complaining that his Toyota Camry is stuck in the mud and you responding "Well my M1 Abrams doesn't seem to be having much trouble."

erebamagi

• Founder
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2014, 01:10:42 pm »
awsome idea blade!! i for one would love to see that. so lets get the spaceship part going so blockade runner will secure  its future