Author Topic: Galactic War 2 : Tech Discussions  (Read 3037 times)

Holy Thunder

• Founder
Re: Galactic War 2 : Tech Discussions
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2014, 05:15:38 pm »
Annnd some more ideas. I intend to dominate here, but I don't want to do it using ideas that haven't been made public. Here's some more ideas I have, some discussed with Me2005 and some not.

Dual-Purpose Construction:
12 points, has been discussed with Me2005. At level 1, every 10 of your PI counts as one PS for battle purposes. At level 2, every 9 of your PI counts as 1 PS for battle purposes. As it stands, the tech maxes out at level 5--every 5 PI contributes 1 PS to the battle. I wanted it higher, but Me2005 made an excellent point that any higher ratio leads to abandoning PS development altogether.

Planetary Doomsday:
12 points to research, 6 points per planet to install. Requires max-level Dual-Purpose Construction. Not discussed with Me2005. If the fighting PI are overwhelmed, they detonate sub-surface nukes to stay out of the hands of the enemy.  Each PI rolls a 1/20 fail. If it passes, it detonates and rolls a 1/6 chance of destroying enemy FS.  If this is triggered, it means that all PS/PI were defeated in fighting. That means it's only fair for all PI to detonate, even if all enemy FS are destroyed with a lesser explosion.  ***Needs input from Me2005***

FS Projection FTL (Blink):
12 points. Not discussed with Me2005. A fleet-based inverse to the warpgate system. Instead of requiring Warp Gates and reaching 3x your current FTL, Blink is fleet-supported (no special deployment required) and goes only 1/3 of your normal FTL. The benefit is that you pass through that space without touching any of the intervening hexes.  If I have FTL9, I can "blink" 3 hexes, past your defensive colonies and right into your squishy heartland. It seems reasonable that a high enough level of Interdiction would prevent this, or at least reduce the effective range. I'm thinking level 3 Interdiction removes 1 hex from Blink Range within your territory, Level 4 Interdiction removes 2 hex from Blink Range, and so on. Because nothing should be without a counter. ***Needs input from Me2005***

Fleet Weapons Module:
12 points. Discussed some with Me2005. Enables all of your Defensive Stations to use special Fleet Techs such as EMP, Barrage, Reflective Shields, etc.  If you intend to use a lot of fleet techs, this will at some point be the strongest single Tech in your defensive arsenal.

Anybody else have ideas they'd like to share?
« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 05:19:19 pm by Holy Thunder »
--Trespassers will be promptly riddled with bullets and other unpleasant projectiles.

--Survivors will treated with apologies, steak dinner, and a VIP tour of our facilities.

Me2005

• Founder
  • Contributor
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2014, 06:36:24 pm »
Planetary Doomsday:
12 points to research, 6 points per planet to install. Requires max-level Dual-Purpose Construction. Not discussed with Me2005. If the fighting PI are overwhelmed, they detonate sub-surface nukes to stay out of the hands of the enemy.  Each PI rolls a 1/20 fail. If it passes, it detonates and rolls a 1/6 chance of destroying enemy FS.  If this is triggered, it means that all PS/PI were defeated in fighting. That means it's only fair for all PI to detonate, even if all enemy FS are destroyed with a lesser explosion.  ***Needs input from Me2005***

Will need to think about the nitty-gritty of that one, but it sounds ok at the surface of it since it's a very desperate tactic.

FS Projection FTL (Blink):
12 points. Not discussed with Me2005. A fleet-based inverse to the warpgate system. Instead of requiring Warp Gates and reaching 3x your current FTL, Blink is fleet-supported (no special deployment required) and goes only 1/3 of your normal FTL. The benefit is that you pass through that space without touching any of the intervening hexes.  If I have FTL9, I can "blink" 3 hexes, past your defensive colonies and right into your squishy heartland. It seems reasonable that a high enough level of Interdiction would prevent this, or at least reduce the effective range. I'm thinking level 3 Interdiction removes 1 hex from Blink Range within your territory, Level 4 Interdiction removes 2 hex from Blink Range, and so on. Because nothing should be without a counter. ***Needs input from Me2005***

It should be noted, current-gen warpgates have infinite range. You just need to build them, which is more difficult than it was.

Again, I'll need to look into the details, but on the surface something like this sounds acceptable. Interdiction would probably do exactly what you say; remove hexes from your max (so you'd need 3x FTL per 1x interdiction, canceling out the cost for both).

Fleet Weapons Module:
12 points. Discussed some with Me2005. Enables all of your Defensive Stations to use special Fleet Techs such as EMP, Barrage, Reflective Shields, etc.  If you intend to use a lot of fleet techs, this will at some point be the strongest single Tech in your defensive arsenal.

That is correct. Stations start out as just numbers and get to add the bonuses. I believe Fortresses use the better of whichever tech you have, so it'd be the only way to have what amounts to a planet fighting back with the full force of your fleet weapons.

Automatic Post Merge: January 15, 2014, 07:31:13 pm
FYI/in case I haven't posted it elsewhere: Diplomacy maxes out at level 10.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 07:31:13 pm by Me2005 »
But you were dead a thousand times. Hopeless encounters successfully won. A man long dead, grafted to machines your builders did not understand. You follow the path, fitting into an infinite pattern. Yours to manipulate, to create and rebuild.

I know who you are.

You are destiny.

Holy Thunder

• Founder
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2014, 04:23:01 pm »
Question on Barrage. Is that a 1/20 roll per FS to do damage, and then a 1/6 roll per success to determine how many ships get killed by that one barrage?
--Trespassers will be promptly riddled with bullets and other unpleasant projectiles.

--Survivors will treated with apologies, steak dinner, and a VIP tour of our facilities.

Me2005

• Founder
  • Contributor
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2014, 01:11:58 pm »
Question on Barrage. Is that a 1/20 roll per FS to do damage, and then a 1/6 roll per success to determine how many ships get killed by that one barrage?

Yep. Upgrades lower the first roll IIRC.
But you were dead a thousand times. Hopeless encounters successfully won. A man long dead, grafted to machines your builders did not understand. You follow the path, fitting into an infinite pattern. Yours to manipulate, to create and rebuild.

I know who you are.

You are destiny.

Holy Thunder

• Founder
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2014, 02:48:45 pm »
Questions on stations and health bonuses.

1) My defense station is level 1. How much health does it have?

2) If I increase the level of that station, how much does the health increase?

3) If I increase my overall station level, will it be a blanket addition, or scaled per level? For instance, if I get my defense station to level 3, and then increase my overall station tech to 2. Will my defense station's health increase by x, or x * 3?

Me2005

• Founder
  • Contributor
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2014, 11:11:57 am »
Questions on stations and health bonuses.

1) My defense station is level 1. How much health does it have?

2) If I increase the level of that station, how much does the health increase?

3) If I increase my overall station level, will it be a blanket addition, or scaled per level? For instance, if I get my defense station to level 3, and then increase my overall station tech to 2. Will my defense station's health increase by x, or x * 3?

Defense stations start at 10, since "Stations" gives 5 health and fortresses get +5 health per level. So level 1 fortress with level 1 stations = 10 health. Each fortress level grants another 5, and each stations level grants another 5; but globally to all of your station-types. That's offset though: fortress levels only cost 6 and fortresses are the only ones that can really defend themselves from attack.

So for 3) your station will have 3*5 + 2*5 = 25 health, and all your other stations will have 10 health.

I know who you are.

You are destiny.