Author Topic: Congratulations ZanMgt For your awesome temper!  (Read 6736 times)

Erebus

• Founder
Re: Congratulations ZanMgt For your awesome temper!
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2013, 02:16:48 pm »
I'm one of these so called 'haters', having been someone who bought into a game whose only 'development' has been 'Wait' or 'Check out this screenshot'.

My problem is: There arent even screenshots. Ingame screenshots I mean. All we get are screenshots of lines of code or some 3D editor.

Sorry, but thats very strange.

Aaron

• BR Developer
  • Creative Director, ZanMgt
  • Available on the IRC from 9:00am to 5:00pm (EST)
    • http://www.zanmgt.com
« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2013, 03:24:30 pm »
I'm one of these so called 'haters', having been someone who bought into a game whose only 'development' has been 'Wait' or 'Check out this screenshot'.

My problem is: There arent even screenshots. Ingame screenshots I mean. All we get are screenshots of lines of code or some 3D editor.

Sorry, but thats very strange.

This is in-game.  If you'd like a larger resolution screenshot, I can oblige, there just won't be much to see. =\

Up until about December we couldn't even see much of the in-game stuff except when Nathan and Zack would be testing things on their machine.  Part of making an engine from scratch. =\
Stop by the IRC and say Hi! -- Online Dev Chat

mamastoast

• Founder
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2013, 07:46:22 am »
I dont know :/ I wish I'd found this game 2 years from now and not 2 years ago. I don't consider myself impatient, but checking these forums are becoming more an exercise of sadness rather than hope.

Glad you guys are keeping at it, but man, my belief in this game actually getting another updates have become slim :/.

Don't wanna be mean or anything, but perhaps building a custom engine wasn't the right move? As others have mentioned, a lot of similar games are starting to pop up all over the market, many of which have sped through the phase BR is currently in, due to using an already established engine.
I still -really- want BR to work, because while the other games are similar, BR's furture potential is pretty much doing exactly what I want in a game.

And yea really, it has nothing to do with the "Money" Ive put into this, that im frustrated. Hell, I've wasted 5 times that amount on supposed tripple A games and forgotten it the next day. It's the fact that I keep finding amazing indue game ideas, and they all seem to be headed somewhere, and then they just all stop.

I am quite frankly sick and tired of so many big-budget games disapointing me, with their watered down features, designed for mass-appeal. But what good is supporting and being interested in the indie scene, when nothing ever seems to actually  be finished? I know im venting here, but man, this is really bothering me :(.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2013, 07:48:30 am by mamastoast »

Aaron

• BR Developer
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2013, 11:17:37 am »
I dont know :/ I wish I'd found this game 2 years from now and not 2 years ago. I don't consider myself impatient, but checking these forums are becoming more an exercise of sadness rather than hope.

Glad you guys are keeping at it, but man, my belief in this game actually getting another updates have become slim :/.

Don't wanna be mean or anything, but perhaps building a custom engine wasn't the right move? As others have mentioned, a lot of similar games are starting to pop up all over the market, many of which have sped through the phase BR is currently in, due to using an already established engine.
I still -really- want BR to work, because while the other games are similar, BR's furture potential is pretty much doing exactly what I want in a game.

And yea really, it has nothing to do with the "Money" Ive put into this, that im frustrated. Hell, I've wasted 5 times that amount on supposed tripple A games and forgotten it the next day. It's the fact that I keep finding amazing indue game ideas, and they all seem to be headed somewhere, and then they just all stop.

I am quite frankly sick and tired of so many big-budget games disapointing me, with their watered down features, designed for mass-appeal. But what good is supporting and being interested in the indie scene, when nothing ever seems to actually  be finished? I know im venting here, but man, this is really bothering me :(.

Hindsight is of course 20/20, but in our case the decision to build a new engine and a robust multiplayer platform was a thoroughly calculated one.  Regardless of whether we would have continued a blocks-only game ala W28, or expanded off of a single-player W71 on a make-shift XNA platform, we would still have had the 'other' games coming to market (with four years+ into their engines) and would have been in a position powerless to adapt.  Adaptation is key to marketability, and with a hand-carved engine built on a solid foundation, BR's going to be quite the nimble beast.  ::)

Remember too that there's more to making a quality fun game than delivering a few bullet points, and the competitive drive to improve upon past works is what has lead to some of the most successful franchises.  Or, as the saying goes: "the early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese!".

And as for being invested in indies, you (and the indies) need to recognize that the freedom comes at the cost of time, multiplied by the complexity and scale of the game.  It seems like the average turn-around for a good quality indie of a particularly larger scale is around seven years.  Smaller games can become 'hits' quicker, but are also often panned by their fervent fans for never delivering on the original 'potential' which can kill the long-run success.

The old project management diagram sums it up nicely:   :P

Alaric

• Super Moderator
  • I making space ships!
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2013, 07:38:55 am »

Ah, the Engineering Project Triangle. Always choose Good; whichever is the other attribute is secondary.
<Czorio> The bittersweet embrace of the Alaric is the only embrace I'll ever know.
<Gabriel> Because Alaric robbed your pleasure...
<Aaron> I feel dirty. Alaric, pls hold me.
<Terah> I don't guess when it comes to you Alaric, I just assume you are always watching...

DiscK

• Founder
  • Bigger on the Inside.
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2013, 09:47:01 am »
BR is basically my dream game, and I know how long games take to make. So long as the devs don't stop making BR then I'm completely fine with years of waiting.
It's not like it said when I was buying it : "This game will be completed with all the features  on ____".
"430rhgq3wr0g8hwroeihremaontweoittitsuoefaoinbrigroarg"
- Anonymous

RLS0812

• Founder
  • Captain of the SS Clueless
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2014, 01:09:11 am »
 If I was part of the dev team, I'd pull my hair out every time StarMade or SpaceEngeneers was mentioned .

My YouTube Channel Filled With Geek, Nerd, Politics, Economics, & More ! 
[Click Here]

Commander Jackson

• Founder
  • Lazy dev E.M.T.
  • Ex astris, scientia
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2014, 01:22:05 am »
If I was part of the dev team, I'd pull my hair out every time StarMade or SpaceEngeneers was mentioned .

This was addressed in a thread that I am unable to find...  I will edit it in when I do find it.
Gabe has a wraith? That explains so much.

RLS0812

• Founder
  • Captain of the SS Clueless
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2014, 01:31:05 am »
A lot of pre-existing engines are not up to this kind of game.
StarMade's rendering engine is not optimized at all, and, well, it's in a horrible runtime environment for 3D (Java) .
SpaceEngeneers requires a very high end graphics card to run .
BlockadeRunner runs just fine on my computer. I can build massive ships with out much of a frame rate drop, and play around just fine - something I can not do with the other 2 options.

My YouTube Channel Filled With Geek, Nerd, Politics, Economics, & More ! 
[Click Here]

Aaron

• BR Developer
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2014, 09:46:25 am »
I can build massive ships with out much of a frame rate drop, and play around just fine...

And we haven't even touched the voxel optimization ends yet.   64-bit + .NET 4.5 multi-threading + low-level DX10/11 is gonna make fireworks happen. :3