Author Topic: Yolaini Corp. Ship and Colony Constructions  (Read 2191 times)

Sigma

• Founder
Yolaini Corp. Ship and Colony Constructions
« on: December 02, 2013, 12:01:29 am »
I finally decided to make a thread. I don't really have many ships at the moment as I'm waiting for the game to have more features such as electricity and air before I do some major projects.

What I do have though is this colony concept that I have dubbed the "Octo-Type Habitat". I came up with it when I was testing if I could make something similar to an O'Neill cylinder.

The idea is that the colony is a octogon with 4 flat areas made for habitation and the angled sections would be where the generators, reactors, docking ports and storage would be located.
First is the concept model:

Each block at 1:1 scale would be 20 blocks, which gives each platform a 100x80 block space.

Here is the horribly unfinished full scale colony:
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

The colony can be multipurpose, one platform could have housing and small streets, another could be used as farm fields, an industrial complex for resource refining and parts/item construction, or you could simply make a small park with trees and a stream running through it.

I think it would make a nice object to destroy and do battle in the airless, ruined streets fight over and defend in multiplayer games. :P

I probably won't finish this particular build due to the time and the fact I made a few major mistakes in design, but when things like electricity, lighting, lighting effects (like shade and brightness), better gravity (gravity generation), air, water, grass, plants and trees are added I will probably come back to this project and re-do it.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2013, 10:32:33 am by Sigma »

Holy Thunder

• Founder
Re: Yolaini Corp. Ship and Colony Constructions
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2013, 07:05:53 am »
I dig it. It looks like an excellent subject for collision and weapons testing when the time comes, and it's something better than "look at this gigantic glob of blocks you can shoot / fight over / run into."

Looks like you've put some real thought into it, I'm interested to see the finished product. :)
--Trespassers will be promptly riddled with bullets and other unpleasant projectiles.

--Survivors will treated with apologies, steak dinner, and a VIP tour of our facilities.

Hyperion

• Founder
  • SnowDragon's Lackey
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2013, 09:40:08 am »
Octagons are the new circles.  ;)
I don't want to go "Oh! there's shots going my way! No big deal I'm the U.S.S Bloody Massive, It won't even leave a scratch." *boom* "SHIT! BIG DEAL! HUGE DEAL!"

Holy Thunder

• Founder
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2013, 10:29:34 am »
Octagons are the new circles.  ;)

Can circles be the new pocket protectors?
--Trespassers will be promptly riddled with bullets and other unpleasant projectiles.

--Survivors will treated with apologies, steak dinner, and a VIP tour of our facilities.

RoflTankFTW

• Founder
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2013, 08:29:05 am »
Octagons make sense IMO. You could slot your sections into each "Octo-type" habitat, then slot the habitats themselves together to form giant, modular cities. Useful for deep space travel too since you could probably store those main modules rather efficiently, then deploy them at will...

You should give them built in propulsion systems. Let them move themselves for self sufficiency, or hover in the atmosphere of gas giants, over volcanic fields, basically avoid all kinds of nastiness.
Operator of Black Moon PMC Shipyards
http://forums.blockaderunnergame.com/index.php?topic=1833.0

"Before all else, be armed"-Nicollo Machiavelli

Sigma

• Founder
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2013, 04:37:45 pm »
Today I bring another unfinished (but a bit more finished than the octo-type colony) work. This time a space "ship", the C-Battlecraft:
Spoiler
Due to the current inability to place plating under prefabs and the fact that every time I tried to place a large engine on the ship the game would crash, I kept the prefabs to a minimum which means the ship currently doesn't have any engines, guns, doors etc. What it does have is the entire frame, inside and out finished. The exterior plated, and a few parts of the interior plated.

This is a 1st generation space battleship by the Yolaini Corporation, originally purposed as a cargo vessel and short range space liner (Corogon Class), the C-Battlecraft is around 104 meters in length, outfitted with living space and accommodations for 80 crew members, two bridges, an armory, weapons bay, rec-center, duel cargo bays, and plenty of space for engines, reactors, and computer centers.
Cargo Bay:
Spoiler
Peeking down a corridor in on the crew quarter's floor:
Spoiler
Weapons Bay:
Spoiler
Bridge and Secondary Bridge:
Spoiler

Hyperion

• Founder
  • SnowDragon's Lackey
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2013, 04:41:58 pm »
Is it a good idea to place the backup in the same spot as the main bridge? Otherwise, your hallways are very retro looking. Reminds me of week 59.
I don't want to go "Oh! there's shots going my way! No big deal I'm the U.S.S Bloody Massive, It won't even leave a scratch." *boom* "SHIT! BIG DEAL! HUGE DEAL!"

Sigma

• Founder
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2013, 08:47:44 pm »
Is it a good idea to place the backup in the same spot as the main bridge? Otherwise, your hallways are very retro looking. Reminds me of week 59.

Probably not :P The designs will be evolving over time, most likely in later builds I'll probably move the secondary bridge down to lower decks. Downside is no windows, but that won't be a problem if they ever add cameras so you can watch everything from monitors. Also I was never around for the old versions of Blockade Runner. Well I probably was I just never started paying attention to the game until around the end of last year. How were the old versions like?

Minor updates, I toyed around with the C-Battlecraft and built a crude landing pad strip with two rail launchers on the underside of the ship. It isn't really meant for fighter carrying purposes but rather a refueling station and a landing pad for fighters if their carrier is too damaged or destroyed.
Spoiler
Next is something I did out of boredom and fun a few days ago, I combined my love for ancient combat and space and made a Shield Cruiser, as the name implies, it's a giant shield with engines. It has 4 plasma cannons, 2 reactors, 2 generators, and 2 shield generators crammed into it's tiny frame. It's so cramped that I considered putting the crew's bunk beds in the generator room, next to the shield generators. The cruiser is meant to be used in a fleet of shield cruisers (around 30 cruisers) and form a shield barrier with 5 cruisers covering each direction.
Spoiler
« Last Edit: December 05, 2013, 08:54:28 pm by Sigma »