Author Topic: [Answered] Possibility of Creating the Earth Sphere  (Read 2651 times)

Sigma

• Founder
[Answered] Possibility of Creating the Earth Sphere
« on: November 12, 2013, 11:35:48 pm »
Since I've started playing this game I've always wondered if it would be possible to create a multiplayer map of a scale Earth's Sphere from Mobile Suit Gundam:

Basically as the image implies it would consist of the Earth, the Moon, seven Sides* and four large asteroid bases (Luna II, A-Boa-Qu, Solomon, Penzun).

*A side is a cluster of O'Neil cylinders numbering around 10-20 colonies in each side. Each colony is 6 km in diameter and 20 km in length.

This map would require a TON of work of course, besides the basics listed above, you would have to create the bases, cities, and interiors to certain buildings and bases. Plus everything is huge in the Gundam universe, a mobile suit (a fancy name for giant robot) average around 18m and the ships that carry them dwarf mobile suits.

Mobile suits would also have to have an overhaul, I imagine if we do get mech leg parts they will be pre-fabs and probably mech warrior style legs. So a mobile suit would probably not make it to canon sizes.

Another issue is scale, what would be the right scale? 1/1 is out of the question, I don't know how, and if ever the game could support a multiplayer map with 1/1 earth, colonies, and asteroids. Plus at that size things would be pretty empty. A smaller scale for the earth, moon, aasteroids and the like would probably be preferable while keeping the canon vehicle sizes.

If this could be realized then it would make for a fun map, especially if a group could re-enact the war from the show. (Nuking Sides, dropping a colony on Sydney, Australia, converting one of the colonies into a giant beam cannon, massive battles)
« Last Edit: January 24, 2014, 11:55:29 am by Aaron »

Holy Thunder

• Founder
Re: Possibility of Creating the Earth Sphere
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2013, 08:06:50 am »
What's really cool about BR is that they've built it so that it's very open to modding.  Assuming that the next build is a stable foundation that'll hold up for a while, you would be able to use the source code and undoubtedly construct something like this. I'd definitely play it with you. :)
--Trespassers will be promptly riddled with bullets and other unpleasant projectiles.

--Survivors will treated with apologies, steak dinner, and a VIP tour of our facilities.

Sigma

• Founder
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2013, 09:32:09 pm »
Well I was hoping I wouldn't have to mod to add these things in. Hopefully there will be a program like the various map edit programs for minecraft that allow you to open the world file and do world building like spawn planets, asteroids and allow me to build large structures like the cities, bases, and colonies for the sides without having to do things block by block in game.

Spoiler
One thing I have been wondering about though is how the colonies for the Sides will work. They're O'Neill cylinders that work using centrifugal force for artifical gravity as seen in picture above. Since this game won't have that level of physics or detail I was thinking along the lines of making the cylinder a hexagon instead, with the planes intended for land having gravity blocks sandwiched below the thin soil, rock terrain layer and the outer colony hull plating. then fill the hexagon with air and put a big, nice airlock on one end to allow ship sized vessels in and smaller "farm" torus disks around the entrance. I'm hoping the center of the colony will stay 0G (as it should be) to allow nice air battles in the colony only to have people that swoop too low to be pulled to the ground.

Asteroids on the other hand will be easy, they have little to no gravity. I think Luna II had miniscule gravity that allowed ships and mobile suits to at least land and walk on it's surface while the other asteroids in the series tended to show mobile suits not really standing on the surface unless they were standing still and not moving (anchored to the surface basically). In Gundam the mobile suits do have "magnetic boots" like in Blockade Runner that allow them limited walking abilities inside the asteroid fortresses on the metallic floors that were throughout the bases.

Interior designs of the ships will be a fun thing I'm looking forward to. It should also be fun for the players as most of the ships in early U.C. Gundam lack any sort of artifical gravity throughout them.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 09:40:38 pm by Sigma »

Cy83r

• Founder
  • It's Shooowtime!
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2013, 01:13:38 am »
If the game near-properly models inertia like we've been promised in about half of the builds, then simply getting a proper spin on the colony should provide adequate impulse.  On the plus side of this consideration, the O'Neill cylinders at the 1:1 scale would spin so slowly as to be imperceptible to casual observers, the show actually sped up the rate to make it look nice; with a smaller scale model, you'd have to increase the natural 1G spinrate, thus, if the game's mechanics allow, creating a nice-looking spin with the same gravity.  What's really nice is that because of the centripital force, mobile suits with even small amounts of thrust can negate their spin and free-float at any height assuming they can control for winds and high terrain.

As I see it, it'll probably take massive amounts of light blocks in the mirrored panels and sparse amounts of gravity plating just below the bedrock layer (colony floors and even the windows are ridiculously thick, watch the first episode of Gundam Unicorn when they show the colony the action starts on being built; layers and LAYERS of material) to generate sufficient pull on objects.
Jibreel: Yeah but [Hufer] that's like [Axis] complaining that his Toyota Camry is stuck in the mud and you responding "Well my M1 Abrams doesn't seem to be having much trouble."

Sigma

• Founder
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2013, 06:58:36 pm »
I did a small scale test of a cylinder colony and currently in the latest build found that with magnetic boots on you will slide on angled blocks. Flat surfaces are fine though and I had fun looking at the little house I built upside down on the opposite floor of the colony.

This is turning more into a challenge, I also didn't know that planet surfaces were axed (at least that's the impression I got from the thread discussions in the ideas/suggestions section), so meh there.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2013, 09:19:46 pm by Sigma »

boby123

• Spacer
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2014, 04:50:42 am »
This map would require a TON of work of course, besides the basics listed above, you would have to create the bases, cities, and interiors to certain buildings and bases. Plus everything is huge in the Gundam universe, a mobile suit (a fancy name for giant robot) average around 18m and the ships that carry them dwarf mobile suits.

Aaron

• BR Developer
  • Creative Director, ZanMgt
  • Available on the IRC from 9:00am to 5:00pm (EST)
    • http://www.zanmgt.com
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2014, 11:47:04 am »
Possibility of Creating an Earth Sphere

Our sector map will not quite run the same way as say Kerbal Space Program, and will be based more on instanced combat.  So you *could* probably position entities around Earth but it might not be as dramatically cool as it'd be in KSP.  It'd just be five/six clusters of entities in five/six sectors around a planet destination location =\

Gigantic Colonies

Again, for performance's sake we're going to try and hold a 255^3 volumetric meters (volumetric, not cubic) in vanilla BR for the sake of everyone's performance.  A different solution of up-scaling the blocks will be used for larger stations and huge ships, but then those kinds of stations and ships will also behave with very different mechanics than the 1 meter blocks and are not meant to be walked about like you can with the "smaller ships"  (You can still build a Galaxy Class starship with the 255^3 meter limitation).

If the game near-properly models inertia like we've been promised in about half of the builds

Inertia will be properly handled for entities inside an instanced play sector (of around 1,000-10,000km), but we're not going to be doing planetary newtonians for planets and the like as you've seen in Kerbal Space Program.
Stop by the IRC and say Hi! -- Online Dev Chat